Advice for new investors

I recently discovered the "world" of Lego Investors...before I was only a user I bought several item (monster fighters, ninjago, LoTR, HPotter) and know I need an advice (and an opinion) What should I've to buy between this items? 70503 The golden dragon 9450 Epic dragon battle 10218 Pet shop 9516 Jabba's palace 10211 Grand Emporium 10193 Medieval market 6857 Dinamic duo 10223 Kingdom joust 10225 R2-D2 6860 Batcave And what are the reasons why should I'v to buy one rather than another? Other question: what does "discontinued" means? Thanks a lot... p.s. sorry for "My english" but I'm italian and I don't speak/write english very well

Welcome to the site. First of all discontinued means that LEGO no longer makes that set it is commonly referred to as EOL ( end of line) typically LEGO only produces a set for 2-3 years and then they EOL them. There are exceptions, the longest running set is the death star 10188 which has been availabe for 5 years. My advice is that you do one of these two things A) look up the sets you listed in the price guide on this site and look at the data and make your choice of which one to buy based on the data provided or B) buy the set that you really like. Both will probably work out for you eventually. If you want me to just pick one for you I would go with the epic dragon battle. I think its a cool set and has good investment potential. Hope this helps you out a little bit. I'm sure more people will tell you what they think you should do......just remember there is no correct answer.

Welcome to the site. First of all discontinued means that LEGO no longer makes that set it is commonly referred to as EOL ( end of line) typically LEGO only produces a set for 2-3 years and then they EOL them. There are exceptions, the longest running set is the death star 10188 which has been availabe for 5 years. My advice is that you do one of these two things A) look up the sets you listed in the price guide on this site and look at the data and make your choice of which one to buy based on the data provided or B) buy the set that you really like. Both will probably work out for you eventually. If you want me to just pick one for you I would go with the epic dragon battle. I think its a cool set and has good investment potential. Hope this helps you out a little bit. I'm sure more people will tell you what they think you should do......just remember there is no correct answer.

thanks for your advice

I think that it's important to know the opinion of other collectors to understand the "sentiment" about a set, to see a set with the eyes of another

however I've bought 6857 right know

10212 will be a good investment??

Personally, I love the Grand Emporium. I think that it is a promising set both in terms of a playability and in terms of a promising turnover. Considering the success of the other modular sets, it appears to be a popular investment contestant. I'm also intrigued by Jabba's Palace. I can't be sure but I have a good feeling about it due to its uniqueness and quirkiness. What does everyone else think? Worth the investment?

advice for items under 50$?

Highway Speedster $24.99 (one of the better vehicles in the CREATOR line I've seen)

High Speed Chase $29.99 (it is nice and offers a lot, plus the supposedly 'exclusive' minifig included)

Golden Dragon $29.99 (every 'dragon' set in NINJAGO has done very well)

Republic Troopers & Sith Troopers Battle Pack $12.99 (everyone loves the Battle Packs, good bang for your buck)

Spider-Man Spider-Cycle Chase $19.99 (one word, VENOM!)

MINIFIGURES $2.99 each (complete Series' or certain minifigs go for good money in time)

TECHNIC sets do well in the secondary market. (Lots of experienced adult builders.)

A lot of good ones on your list there. All have a good chance of increasing in value rather well over time.

I would pick "Grand Emporium" and "Pet Shop" from your list for myself.

Personally, I love the Grand Emporium. I think that it is a promising set both in terms of a playability and in terms of a promising turnover. Considering the success of the other modular sets, it appears to be a popular investment contestant.

I'm also intrigued by Jabba's Palace. I can't be sure but I have a good feeling about it due to its uniqueness and quirkiness. What does everyone else think? Worth the investment?

It is not worth an investment right now unless you can snag one for 20-30+% (highly unlikely). It has just been released and is not near EOL. You could have your money tied into it for too long.

A few that are dying right now:

Imperial Ship

Diagon Alley

Candidates:

Fire Brigade (20% off at Amazon)

Grand Emporium (potentially replaced by a new corner building, Palace Cinema)

Tower Bridge

Read a bit more on the site. You don't want to get caught with your pants down while paying for 10 Jabba's Palace. The set could potentially go EOL in 2014 or even 2015! No one knows...

EDIT: Btw, add Jabba's Palace to a list of sets that you will watch for the next year or more.

Highway Speedster $24.99 (one of the better vehicles in the CREATOR line I've seen)

High Speed Chase $29.99 (it is nice and offers a lot, plus the supposedly 'exclusive' minifig included)

Golden Dragon $29.99 (every 'dragon' set in NINJAGO has done very well)

Republic Troopers & Sith Troopers Battle Pack $12.99 (everyone loves the Battle Packs, good bang for your buck)

Spider-Man Spider-Cycle Chase $19.99 (one word, VENOM!)

MINIFIGURES $2.99 each (complete Series' or certain minifigs go for good money in time)

TECHNIC sets do well in the secondary market. (Lots of experienced adult builders.)

A lot of good ones on your list there. All have a good chance of increasing in value rather well over time.

I would pick "Grand Emporium" and "Pet Shop" from your list for myself.

thanks a lot for your advice

you mean that you're going to sell them TOGETHER?

yes together but they will both be MISB......my collection always has and always will consist of only MISBs

of course :-)

4842 at 170 $ is good?

At $170 is a gamble, the set's MSRP was $130, so this means that it has increased it's value around 25%. It has already gone EOL and it's a very popular theme. Probably it will go up some more, since it is a large set it will be sought after collectors and if it's MISB even better.

Of course, there's a downside to all this, with so many themes out there (LOTR, Hobbit, Modulars, etc) fighting for the buyers money, it'll be hard to keep the good CAGR figures this set has shown since retirement. But hey, this happens with every set.

So, would I take a chance on this for $170? No, I'd save a little bit more and dive into the 10212.

I am in Spain and 10212 is gone from all the online stores, I'll have to do a quick check on a local store, otherwise I'll order it from the US.

I bought these at both online and brick and mortar stores but am Wondering now if any are actually worth keeping, or if I should Just return them and wait for discounts..if they ever go on sale? Some of the ones are..... (x6) Elite clone trooper & droid pack (9488) (paid $12.99 plus tax) Tie fighter (9492) (paid $49.99 plus tax) Hulk hellicarrier breakout (6868) (paid $49.99 plus tax) Batmobile & two face chase (6864) (paid $49.99 plus tax) Batcave (6860) (paid $69.99 plus tax)