Large color variance in early Modulars - Dark Blue, Dark Red

Sauromosis

Wow that is aweful.  Haven't put together my Pet Shop yet and am now afraid when I do I will see this.  

The pet shop isn't as bad as the first few modulars.  I also wonder if the plastic in those is starting to break down or absorb UV rays.  I read where some very old Legos are disintegrating. 

Sometimes google can be your friend...

http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/02/lego-colors-introduction/

What's the real reason? Color is injected into the mold at the same time as the ABS pellets. They used to used pre-colored pellets. Some have criticized the QC in China but by all accounts they are using the same equipment over there... What is theorized is that Lego uses a China-sourced ABS in China which is lesser quality.

The pet shop isn't as bad as the first few modulars.  I also wonder if the plastic in those is starting to break down or absorb UV rays.  I read where some very old Legos are disintegrating. 

Bromine is also added to the mix when molding a piece to reduce the flammability of the ABS but unfortunately that chemical is apparently quite susceptible to UV rays.

• Like 2

Wow thanks for the info.  That is one hell of an informative article.  I had no idea of the history of the colors.  Such a shame that it seems like we are now living in the time of the worst colors when due to advances and technology and such you would just assume we were living in the best time for colors and QC.  Very interesting.

Why google when I have you to make it look so pretty?  :rofl:

I need moar posts anyways... I'm not a fan of the Brickulator title or picture. For some reason it has always bothered me.

Truth be told, I read your post yesterday but after jojo's comment about China I felt the need to respond. Although there appears to be some truth to the quality of the ABS used, the reality is that the color variance you asked about has more to do with manufacturing technique than anything else. Lego has quite a fascinating history when you consider all the ways they've tried to save money... Hollow inner tubes and thinner sidewalls especially.

I guess it's time to pull out my old space Lego from the 80s to compare!

Maybe I'm just not the perfectionist as some with Lego, but I honestly have to say that it doesn't bother me. I've only found a couple bricks with poor clutch power (unfortunately they were both head bricks that just didn't hold the neck stud well) and don't sit looking so close at the models that the color variation is noticeable.

What I do notice is that if the Lego bricks aren't perfectly aligned (especially those dastardly 1x1s) that the reflection you get from light can cause bricks to look hugely different. When you shine a light directly on them from up close the color difference is much less. I do notice this on the modular buildings especially with colors like dark brown and red (which are the hardest colors to make anyway).

Besides... when you're kids like to smash things and interchange parts, you spend more time reassembling than admiring.

I am not too bothered by this. In reality, all bricks of a house aren't the exact same tone either.

By all means, buy a Pet Shop and build it. Great set!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

I had the same thought.  I haven't seen any noticeable variance in my Petshop.

My experience has been different with what i buy. For boxed sets, I've rarely noticed significant variances in colors.

Now when i bricklinked my 10179 mf, there were definite variances. Some pieces were pretty translucent, some not so much. Some have clear crisp lego wording on studs, some not so much. Lego doesn't use the same exact mold forever. So i can see differences through the different batches/years.

As far as pieces breaking, I've only ever had those stupid cheese slopes crack on either the thick or thin end. I don't know what it is but I've had like 10 crack on me.

Yes those 1x1 sloped pieces have cracked on me a couple times also, luckily you usually get some extra of those.

Parts truly breaking hasn't happened to me in my adult life, since I don't really play with my sets other than rearranging how I display them. But it happened fairly often when I was a kid. Usually minifigure hands, grips of shields etc.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker