Brick City Depot - custom modular building

phey_05

I been reading about custom modular building, the link below sell instruction guide and his creation is really good.

Before buying his instructions, will it be easy for me to gather the required bricks? Will it cost too much?

http://www.brickcitydepot.com/city-building-instructions.html

Yes, these instructions are well done. Bricklink is the place to buy the bricks and in my experience, it will be time consuming and on the expensive side(in comparison to a new set) to do so.

Before buying his instructions, will it be easy for me to gather the required bricks? Will it cost too much?

To start completely from scratch and order all the required parts from Bricklink will cost you more than you would spend on a brand new modular (perhaps even four or six) from LEGO Shop at Home. Come to think of it, you could buy one of each currently available modular from the LEGO site, spend around $700, and have pretty much all of the basic parts you would need for these instructions. $700 is a lot, but you will end up spending more buying each individual piece from Bricklink in the end. Bricklink is a good option if you are missing a few parts, not a few hundred or thousand.

Brick City Depot and Brick Builders Pro both have great designs and I enjoy them all.

A word of warning, any modular uses well over 1,000-2,000 pieces.

I did buy the instructions to one of the modulars from Brick City Depot. Fortunately, the design used the parts from the Fire Brigade....so in that case the downside was very minimal at best. I wish creations could come from the parts of current modulars.....in a utopian world!

Are alternative model designs, like the "City Townhouse" and "Consulate", better than ones that require parts from numerous sets?

To start completely from scratch and order all the required parts from Bricklink will cost you more than you would spend on a brand new modular (perhaps even four or six) from LEGO Shop at Home. Come to think of it, you could buy one of each currently available modular from the LEGO site, spend around $700, and have pretty much all of the basic parts you would need for these instructions. $700 is a lot, but you will end up spending more buying each individual piece from Bricklink in the end. Bricklink is a good option if you are missing a few parts, not a few hundred or thousand.

Brick City Depot and Brick Builders Pro both have great designs and I enjoy them all.

A word of warning, any modular uses well over 1,000-2,000 pieces.

This is really discouraging... I thought buying the town hall to use for the consulate is expensive enough...

I hope Brick City Depot indicate the estimated cost of each built.

I know it is hard to make an estimate due to the bricks availability, but at least rough estimate...

Brian has a complete set for sale...

http://www.brickcitydepot.com/modular-buildings.html

they are way expensive than i thought...

That is why I never buy pre-built kits. You would be better off building the thing yourself from a set of digital instructions and out of your own collection of parts.

This is really discouraging... I thought buying the town hall to use for the consulate is expensive enough...

I hope Brick City Depot indicate the estimated cost of each built.

I know it is hard to make an estimate due to the bricks availability, but at least rough estimate...

I did not mean to discourage you or anybody else in anyway. I am just saying that it is a lot cheaper, in the whole scope of things, by buying new sets that have parts you can use instead of looking to purchase a bunch of odd individual pieces here and there. Some people on Bricklink and eBay do sell bulk lots, but there is the off chance of getting a MEGABLOKS or KRE-O brick hidden within.

For the "Consulate" alternative model, you would pay $10 for the digital instructions, buy a Town Hall for $200, then only need to buy 2 stair pieces that range from $0.30-$0.60. In the end, you have only spent about $211.20 (excluding shipping & handling), used roughly half of the parts that came with the "Town Hall", and needed to special order 2 parts off Bricklink. That really isn't that bad. Now if you went the other way and bought every single part needed for that design, you could have bought a couple of "Town Halls" for that much. At $200 containing 2,766 parts, that makes the "Town Hall" an average of $0.07 a piece. You just can't find a deal that good on Bricklink. Even smaller pieces on Bricklink go for $0.10-$0.30 more than that normally.

On a side note, an estimated cost for a build is a good idea.

I think giving the exact number of parts used in the build would be nice.