10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

The revenue even surprises me. Am glad I have some in my inventory but the price atm seems so inflated for what it actually is.

Inflated, huh?  What is this set, exactly?

I think it is a unique gem sitting in the treasure horde that is recently "retired" sets (and obviously that which follows is mostly just opinion):

This model is the fourth and undoubtedly "most loved" (not to mention most enduring) UCS Star Wars character. People feel emotion for R2-D2... unlike Maul, Yoda, or Grievous. It caught many current fans off guard when it left the retail marketplace. As discussed endlessly in these forums, lots were certain it would stay through the Ep 7 release.Therefore:

- People who missed it will pay up when they finally get around to "catching up" (nothing new to see here, obviously).

- People who aren't into all the fine details but merely love Lego and Star Wars will want this set. Despite all the criticism on aesthetics R2 has endured, it is obvious at a single glance that this is THE droid of all droids, and he IS built out of Lego pieces. Is that not simply cool enough?

- People who never knew about it will want it when they see it in their friend's living room, "play" with it, and see it is more than just a Lego statue. The features, while arguably not outstanding, put a nice touch on an otherwise excellent display piece.

- People who already like Star Wars but become new Lego fans with the onslaught of Ep 7 merchandise will want this set as well. The depth of his role in the movie won't make much difference, as his mere presence will be a reminder of the "glory days" and trigger enough nostalgia to seek this set out.

- People who can't even afford retired UCS sets will choose this one anyway, for aforementioned reasons. I think the value will absolutely explode in 7-8 months, and 3/4 of those buyers will seriously regret not grabbing it now (or knowing someone wanted it) when the price is "more reasonable".

- People who wouldn't otherwise own something like this will buy this set. It was the first set my girlfriend fell in love with when I took her to the Lego store a couple years ago. She isn't really a Star Wars fan, but likes the movies and naturally loves R2. Don't underestimate the value of instant recognition.

(Next she chose the T1, and gained some interest in the modular line. T1 and a couple other sets have since been disassembled for "space" reasons. R2 has not.)

I am not saying this is the best investment set out there, or the best SW set, or best UCS set, or any combination thereof. What I am trying to say is that this set has a sort of iconic mass appeal that may rival 10179. While lacking the size and intricacy of that Millennium Falcon, R2 has a similarly huge (or arguably larger) fan base and a special uniqueness as a Lego set that not even the greatest of "Grey Spaceships" can claim. It is also important to keep in mind that there is no "cheaper" alternative to this set, like 7965/7778/4504/7190/upcoming MF. The technic vomit (sorry) that is 8009 certainly does not count. So the "Gotta Have It" factor is sky high here, imho. It's no Town Hall for investment purposes just because the supply is much greater... but I think the demand will be much greater as well, and can imagine in 5-10 years that people holding that long will be similarly happy with both sets, and very few others.

• Like 7

Is it reasonable to think this set will hit $500 by this Christmas?

I really hope so.  Not sure but what would I like (not what I will get) -

R5 retires by October or sooner, R2 gets a big role in Episode VII, Movie Launches, 1 week after movie launch:  SSD @ $1,250 each.  R2 at $750 each.  R5 at $500 each.  I know I am dreaming but we can all have dreams can't we? LOL

• Like 1

I really hope so.  Not sure but what would I like (not what I will get) -

R5 retires by October or sooner, R2 gets a big role in Episode VII, Movie Launches, 1 week after movie launch:  SSD @ $1,250 each.  R2 at $750 each.  R5 at $500 each.  I know I am dreaming but we can all have dreams can't we? LOL

You forgot to add Death Star retires.  But that would make your whole perfectly reasonable list prepostorous.

• Like 1

I think the numbers are reasonable depending on how good episode 7 is. If it looks like episode 1 then I would at a 10% deviation to your numbers

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

Are you kidding me? "Depending on how good Episode 7 is"??? I know there are a lot of PT haters out there, but Episode 1 grossed $1,027,044,677 WORLDWIDE!!!

Like it or not...that kind of $$$ is a success in any language!!!

Yeah, definitely. Expect to see at least more rapid growth closer to the release, and afterwards. I think most of the theme will be in for some level of growth, down to virtually every set. Like a ripple effect, with these larger more eye-candy sets seeing the most growth, then some of the lesser sets seeing moderate gains. It`s been 10 years since another SW film has been in release, and the hype for these upcoming films appears to be even more than before. 

We should get a trailer soon, within the next couple of months, so keep an eye out for that. In the mean time, none of these UCS sets are poor investments, and it certainly won`t hurt to buy whatever you can. 

UCS R2 now, I don`t think $500 is unreasonable. $400 seems very likely by the end of the year, so yes, another $100 shouldn`t be an issue. Even if R2 isn`t featured heavily in the film, he`ll increase in value by association, so yes, if you`re thinking about selling now.... DON`T DO IT!!!  :derisive:

I bought 12 at retail price, but want at least 30 of these. I think these still have a lot of room to grow. I've been selling a bunch of ninjago sets at break even price, and a few other sets I don't really care for, and with that money, I've bought another 12 r2-d2 in the past couple days for about 330 each, shipped. Just doubled my stock to 24 now!!???? going to sell some vampire castles and buy some more. Maybe I'll shot for 50. I don't see why these won't be $500-600 in 2-3 years time.

post-388-14281179994946_thumb.jpg

post-388-14281180166748_thumb.jpg

• Like 2