10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

FB did the doubling trick in a year.  I don't think that's impossible with R2, but I expect more like $300 by this time next year.  The Imperial Shuttle certainly didn't double in a year, and it was a solid UCS SW set that displays really well.  For FB, which I averaged (buying) about $140 per set after tax and shipping for my 16, $300 in a year is great (haven't sold any yet, but that's where it was on eBay last time I looked).  Except for a few bought during 2x VIP, my R2 sets cost me more like $185.  In that context, they need to hit $320 or so by next Christmas to meet my profit goal for a set of this size.  I fully expect my 25 GE's to hit their $300ish target by then.  R2 feels like more of a stretch, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

FB did the doubling trick in a year.  I don't think that's impossible with R2, but I expect more like $300 by this time next year.  The Imperial Shuttle certainly didn't double in a year, and it was a solid UCS SW set that displays really well.  For FB, which I averaged (buying) about $140 per set after tax and shipping for my 16, $300 in a year is great (haven't sold any yet, but that's where it was on eBay last time I looked).  Except for a few bought during 2x VIP, my R2 sets cost me more like $185.  In that context, they need to hit $320 or so by next Christmas to meet my profit goal for a set of this size.  I fully expect my 25 GE's to hit their $300ish target by then.  R2 feels like more of a stretch, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

The Imperial Shuttle is lesser known then R2, that could play in the little robot's favor + news of ep7 bubbling up. It can perform better than expected.

@Neosphinx: a valid point.  It can be hard to predict relative performance of these sets in advance.  The last Tantive IV set is one of the worst performing UCS SW sets and a pretty iconic ship (Leia's own Dolphin Cruiser).  Also, SW fans like some weird stuff.  I mean, Jawas say nothing but 'utinni!' all the time and get slaughtered by storm troopers, but folks love them.  I did great with my 10144's (fortunately sold out before the remake hit shelves).  I'll confess to being a Jawa fan myself, but they're not exactly central to the SW storyline.

@Neosphinx: a valid point. It can be hard to predict relative performance of these sets in advance. The last Tantive IV set is one of the worst performing UCS SW sets and a pretty iconic ship (Leia's own Dolphin Cruiser). Also, SW fans like some weird stuff. I mean, Jawas say nothing but 'utinni!' all the time and get slaughtered by storm troopers, but folks love them. I did great with my 10144's (fortunately sold out before the remake hit shelves). I'll confess to being a Jawa fan myself, but they're not exactly central to the SW storyline.

Sorry but I disagree that the Tantive IV is iconic.

EDIT: It could be that our definitions of iconic differ.

Ok, you might not know the name 'Tantive IV', but do you remember the opening scene of SW Episode IV?  You know the ship carrying Leia and everyone's favorite droids, getting its buttocks spanked by a SD?  Yeah, that one.

Alongside maybe the obelisk scene in 2001, that has to be the most famous opening sequence in modern cinema.

Edited by GhostDad
  • Like 1

Ok, you might not know the name 'Tantive IV', but do you remember the opening scene of SW Episode IV?  You know the ship carrying Leia and everyone's favorite droids, getting its buttocks spanked by a SD?  Yeah, that one.

Alongside maybe the obelisk scene in 2001, that has to be the most iconic opening sequence in modern cinema.

It is the first ship you see in the first movie. It is a pretty iconic scene. The rebel ship flies by. Then the massive SD shooting at it. Tractor beam. Walls breached, stormtroopers pile in blasters firing with their typical inaccuracy, Vader steps through the smoke, choke, you are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor! take her away!, help me obi wan, escape pod, no lifeforms on board...

• Like 1

Can someone who actually sells on amazon comment as to whether sellers get the prices they're asking.  By which I mean, a couple days ago the cheapest MISB SSD was $720 shipped on eBay and $799 shipped on amazon.  Was anyone actually buying at $799?  It seems bizarre to me that buyers would not comparison shop at all for a set like that.  With eBay, it's easy to check completed item prices.  I don't know of a way to do that with amazon.

Edit: for example, the cheapest R2's on eBay right now MISB are $220 shipped.  Why would a buyer pay $265 on amazon?

Edited by GhostDad