Once a personal check clears, I have a green light to ship, right?

Ok gang, I need a little input here. I recently opened a store on bricklink and received an offer this morning from a buyer. They want to purchase 10 of my 6864 batmobile and two face chase sets as a bulk order. They offered to pay with a personal check, and are wiling to wait for it to clear before I ship. Total of the check will be $700 plus exact shipping. They offered to do the deal outside of bricklink and paypal to save me some fees. My question is this...once I receive and deposit the check, and once it clears the banks, I am safe to ship the goods, right? Is there any way the buyer can scam me once the check clears?

With the recent talk on the forums about some amazon scams and sellers receiving phony checks I am a little leery. Why would the buyer be concerned with saving me some fees, especially when by doing the deal on bricklink/paypal they get protection. The scenario feels legit, but I don't know if I am overlooking something that might end up costing me $700+.

I appreciate any thoughts and/or experiences you can share.

Ok gang, I need a little input here. I recently opened a store on bricklink and received an offer this morning from a buyer. They want to purchase 10 of my 6864 batmobile and two face chase sets as a bulk order. They offered to pay with a personal check, and are wiling to wait for it to clear before I ship. Total of the check will be $700 plus exact shipping. They offered to do the deal outside of bricklink and paypal to save me some fees. My question is this...once I receive and deposit the check, and once it clears the banks, I am safe to ship the goods, right? Is there any way the buyer can scam me once the check clears?

With the recent talk on the forums about some amazon scams and sellers receiving phony checks I am a little leery. Why would the buyer be concerned with saving me some fees, especially when by doing the deal on bricklink/paypal they get protection. The scenario feels legit, but I don't know if I am overlooking something that might end up costing me $700+.

I appreciate any thoughts and/or experiences you can share.

Hey, Terry I usually hold checks for 2 weeks but these are biz checks. I suggest calling your bank to ask them and let us know. Not sure if all banks share the same check deposit policy for clearing,

I'll also ask mmy bank.

Definitely check with your bank - if you feel iffy about it, just ask them to send a postal money order instead. You can verify at your post office (when you have it in hand) that it's legit and then go deposit it at your bank and ship right away.

Side note: Bricklink found you that buyer, and it's against the TOS you agreed to to take that buyer off Bricklink and chouse them out of their fees. IMO, complete the transaction on Bricklink and pay what you promised.

• Like 5

Unless you really need the money or you have about 50 of these I would not be selling these, the price has been rising pretty fast and should be a $140 set and up down the road. Ed

I agree. 10 of these for $700 shipped is an ok price for an investor. In 4 months you should be able to sell these fast at $100 each.

Unless you really need the money or you have about 50 of these I would not be selling these, the price has been rising pretty fast and should be a $140 set and up down the road. Ed

I have 31 bought at $24.xx each. He wants all of them. I offered him 10. I am pretty confident in this set as well, but will use the $460 profit on some close to eol exclusives.

I work for a bank. If they send you a personal check then once it clears your account the bank should have been able to verify the funds before making it available to you. Usually at the verification time if the check is phony they will return it. Be careful because if it's returned then that means a return check fee for you to pony up. If you accept the personal check then look at the bank or is drawn off of and call a local branch. If you tell them you are waiting to send something once the check clears, give them the check info, they may be willing to verify if the account is legit and if the balance is available. Find out the fees from your bank for a returned check and how long it takes for them to validate checks from another bank. Any other questions pm and I can try to help.

• Like 2

It can take a few weeks for a bank to catch a fake check, a few months for international checks. US postal money order, cash or wired funds only. Gifted paypal funds work as well.

It doesn't take that long for a US bank to verify a check. At max 7 business days. That's being generous. If the bank is taking that long then that bank won't be around for too long.

other members have offered solid advice already... but I would say hold onto the set a bit longer if you can. great price point you got and nice stash. different market I know but my last 3 sets each sold for $140 plus shipping which is great, should go even higher by holidays, but I only have 3 left.

• Like 1

It doesn't take that long for a US bank to verify a check. At max 7 business days. That's being generous. If the bank is taking that long then that bank won't be around for too long.

I am talking about a stolen/forged check not a completely fabricated account number.

Definitely check with your bank - if you feel iffy about it, just ask them to send a postal money order instead. You can verify at your post office (when you have it in hand) that it's legit and then go deposit it at your bank and ship right away.

Side note: Bricklink found you that buyer, and it's against the TOS you agreed to to take that buyer off Bricklink and chouse them out of their fees. IMO, complete the transaction on Bricklink and pay what you promised.

Bricklink and money orders go together like peanut butter & jelly. That's what I used in the past with every purchase through the site and had no problems so far. And I agree it is tacky to say the least at trying to complete the transaction outside of Bricklink.