17 Year Old Investor From Central California

Hello everyone, my name is Henry Brower. I am 17 years old, a senior in high school, and live in Central California. I just read a very interesting artical in USAToday ( http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1732525?preferredArticleViewMode=single ) and I became instantly interested in LEGO investing. I like the fact that, unlike stocks, if you fail to make a profit you still have the set. I am considering making a purchase of a set around $100-300 to try this out. Any advice on what would be the perfect buy would be great! Or anything else you want to plant in my brain. Thanks. -Henry

Hi Henry, welcome to the site. Like we have told many people that have asked this question since reading the article, its really about what you like. This isn't something that you just wait a few weeks and there you have it. There is a ton of information on this site that you should really spend some time reading and learning more about what others have done. To answer your one question though, right on the home page are a few great sets to start with. They are at the end of their production run and they would be a great start. You need to think of this just like the stock market. Do you research, go with your gut feelings and then you need to hold on for a while (sometimes a long while) until you get the return you are looking for. There is no get rich quick scenario here.

Alright thanks! I have got to stop dipping my toes in the pool, and just dive in. Thanks for the advice.

Welcome to the site. Not to scare you, I just want to say be sure you know what you're diving into. Yes there are sets that might make you some money in the future, but there are also sets that might cause you to lose money. Like Jeff said, do your research, there is no way to get rich quick in the Lego game. Just like the stock market it requires a lot of research and knowledge (and that is why brickpicker exists, to educate people in Lego investing). Also buy what you like, that way if it never increases in value you can always open the set up and build it. Good luck with everything and always feel free to ask questions.

Hi Henry, welcome to the program. My best advice to you is to buy sets that are about to retire. When I started doing this, I bought things right away based on my personal excitement for the content of the set. If you are doing this to make money, buy older sets first. The sooner they retire, the sooner the price goes up and you can sell for a profit. If you buy something brand new because you think it's awesome, you will have your money tied up that much longer. Psst...if you want a good set, check out 6857 - The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape. It is an exclusive set, and comes with great mini figures.