Has this ever happened to you?

So i went into Wal-Mart the other day and was picking over what stock they actually had on their shelves, and i ended up leaving with two 8092 (Luke's Landspeeder) sets. Anyways, i look over the boxes quickly to make sure nothing was wrong with them i check out and get home. I put them down and don't look at them until yesterday night. Anyways, i look at the one i am going to open up and then i notice that the factory tape had been opened and then resealed with scotch tape. I figured this can't be good so i open it up and of course the inside doesn't match what's on the outside, and i find instructions for a DC Superheroes set and three random bags of unrelated sets. Needless to say, i wasn't too happy. Anyways, it's going back today. So has this happened to anyone else or was i just not careful enough when i picked it up?

I've never seen such a thing. You probably just got screwed by some guy who managed to get the box into the bathroom, or (let's hope not) an employee. Either way, check the other set and be more careful when shopping for LEGOs at that Wal Mart in the future. It shouldn't be too difficult to tell if a set has been opened and resealed. Hopefully you can get a refund for this.

This happens more often than you think. Scammers are very good at resealing boxes now and returning them in store. Always inspect all the tape around the boxes. Typically, there is a 4 digit code on the tape which I am guessing refers to the a unique ID they use on where it gets produced/inspected. Even when it looks perfect, there is that small chance that there is something missing. You just have to take every precaution when purchasing. Unfortunately, the top stolen items are typically the minifigs because they sell for money. This has been an ongoing issue with the big B&M Stores. Some targets now even open returned LEGOs even though it appears completely brand new and sealed just to make sure you didn't steal anything. The worst is when sellers do this and try to scam buyers. It is very sad.

It is difficult to understand people deciding that this makes sense. You can't be making much off of doing this even if you don't get caught! Is the risk of getting caught like an adrenaline rush for some? And, then how would you feel about yourself if you do things like this? It does make me wonder how many of us are sitting on bogus 'sealed' sets?

I sold a "sealed" QAR to a lady and her daughters for good money at Christmas, then on the 26th got hit with the dreaded "item not as described" email. Bag 1 missing. Looking at her feedback, I trust her. Box was near mint, seals sharp. I said a few of my favorite blankity blank blanks and found a seller (on BRICKLINK!) with what I needed for $35 (best price on choice minifigs) and hope to put this behind me as an anomaly.

So i brought it back today and the lady at the counter was pretty much like "oh well" and rang it up for my return anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens often at this Wal-Mart considering it is the only store in our town. Luckily, i live within 50 miles of 3 other Wal-Marts plus some Targets so i shouldn't need to worry too much.

I sold a "sealed" QAR to a lady and her daughters for good money at Christmas, then on the 26th got hit with the dreaded "item not as described" email. Bag 1 missing. Looking at her feedback, I trust her. Box was near mint, seals sharp. I said a few of my favorite blankity blank blanks and found a seller (on BRICKLINK!) with what I needed for $35 (best price on choice minifigs) and hope to put this behind me as an anomaly.

I always wonder how many of my sealed sets are actually not sealed sets. Thieves are becoming quite aware of the value of LEGO minifigures and this is a common ploy in the US market, with Targets and Wal Marts the main targets. Their return policies are quite lenient, but are getting tougher.