New to the site

Hi My family brought a newspaper article about this site during their Christmas visit and wanted to know if I still I had my old legos. I have them in a large rubbermaid out in the garage. I guess I should go through it and see what sets I have, I figured they would have value but who would have imagined that that large X-Wing set I bought in 1999 or 2000 would be so valuable even after opened, assembled and displayed. I am a casual collector that bought up SW sets back around '99 and '00 then stopped due to the War on Terror. Now that things are winding down I have re-looked my many collections and trying to figure out values. I have collected toys since I was a kid. My themes forever have been SW and GI Joe. My wife is interested in GI Joe and Transformers so we have continued those. I don't know if "kre-o" is a dirty word here so forgive me if it is but we collect the TF line and are anxiously waiting the new Joe line. We are stationed at Fort Bragg, NC.

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoyed the article. Yes, I would definitely go through your bin and see what you have in there. Hopefully you have some complete sets in there. If you have any instructions or boxes, that would be even better. Feel free to attach some pics to the forum thread here and maybe we can help you figure out what you have.

Hi

My family brought a newspaper article about this site during their Christmas visit and wanted to know if I still I had my old legos. I have them in a large rubbermaid out in the garage. I guess I should go through it and see what sets I have, I figured they would have value but who would have imagined that that large X-Wing set I bought in 1999 or 2000 would be so valuable even after opened, assembled and displayed.

I am a casual collector that bought up SW sets back around '99 and '00 then stopped due to the War on Terror. Now that things are winding down I have re-looked my many collections and trying to figure out values. I have collected toys since I was a kid. My themes forever have been SW and GI Joe. My wife is interested in GI Joe and Transformers so we have continued those. I don't know if "kre-o" is a dirty word here so forgive me if it is but we collect the TF line and are anxiously waiting the new Joe line.

We are stationed at Fort Bragg, NC.

Hi, welcome to the site. Yes, the UCS X-Wing is a valuable set, new or used, if complete. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks! I figured the "k" word would be dirty here, c'est la vie, right? I also used to collect playmobil and playmobil collectors are as serious as Lego collectors too. Although they are not even close to being this organized for investment/collecting purposes. I wonder why other toy collectors have not built a site similar for long term themes like SW (1978 and still going strong) or GI JOE (1960s to today; ups and downs through the years). We claim we collect them as an investment; how do we know when is the time to sell or what items to invest in other than one of everything to open and one to remain sealed. I did find a site similar for Transformers but TF fans are serious and willing to spend some serious cash on exclusives, third party items, originals from the 80's. I went through my Lego sets and built a brickfolio. Thanks to your site and links from it I was able to identify two sets from 1977 I had as a child and was able to inventory them - lots of pieces missing, years of wear an tear but is was fun trying to figure out what fire truck set I had (218-1) and also set 112-1. I tried to build the trucks but of course was missing a critical piece for each to be complete or had broken pieces. Still it was fun recalling playing with them so many years ago. I also unpacked all the SW themed sets, assembled them confirmed any missing parts (not many...) and am now photographing them to upload to the site too. I have not closely followed the Lego aisle and noticed that a lot of the sets from 1999-2001 have been replaced by superior sets. my wife is glad though she wants me to keep most of them for our child(ren) to enjoy eventually. Still it is tempting to list a fee on eBay and see what they go for. Shawn

• 4 months later...