What went wrong with these sets ?

I was just looking at them with my kids and they wanted those sets. They thought they were really cool. The problem is they also think the millennium falcon is cool and love star wars. They can tell me to seek it out but those sets are just fun to play with and no one seeks them out. If they were on a shelf at the toy store they would sell but on ebay most people would not chose those over Licensed sets.

As an AFOL, when I looked your links, I said "meh" to the first two, liked the City of Atlantis, and immediately wanted to buy the Scorpion Pyramid.

Then I looked at the brickpicker pricing data and was kinda bummed out.  The last two actually have done decently in America, with the Scorpion Pyramid bringing in a respectable CAGR of 12.14%.  It's interesting how region affected the pricing on these models.  I guess I must have typical American tastes!

I think sets like these that have limited AFOL appeal are the ones that don't do well in the secondary market.  This is why I've stayed away from Chima for the most part.

I do like the City of Atlantis set though.

Having built all of those I can say the builds are good to great, especially with the Portal of Atlantis and Pyramid they also share a good amount of play value. They simply did not resonate with collectors. The show that went along with Atlantis was sub-par which did not help. Who knows maybe 20 years from now future AFOLs will look back at these sets the same way we look back at Classic Space or Castle sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker