New Investor - Questions about Upcoming Releases and Retiring Sets

Hey All,

I am new to investing, actually just working on getting started. I do currently buy bulk lots off ebay/craigslist and then part them out. This has been making me a good profit from selling on ebay and bricklink, but I would like to try my hand at investing.

I KNOW that every new person asks these types of questions and a lot of people are going to just say "look at the forums", but sometimes it just difficult to find the answer your looking for unless you have some really good google-fu.

Questions:

Is there anyway to know the exact release date of new exclusives? I tried to google this but I just get partial information. Sometimes when a series is about to be released (I.e. "Agents"), I might see a date, but the notice they give is only a week or so. Is that normal?

How do I know which sets are about to retire? Do I just need to speculate based on how long a set has been out? Is there a normal cycle for sets or is it completely random usually? I did see a section on Lego that has "Retiring Soon", but almost all the sets are "Sold Out", if I wait until they are on this list, will I be too late?

At what time would I have had to be on the Lego.com website to get 9464 The Vampyre Hearse at the $8.98 price?

Whats the best time to check Lego.com for the New Arrivals/Retiring Soon, do you they always update right at 12pm EST or PST?

I have about $200 to start. Do I just buy GE and sit on it?

Thanks in advance for ANY answers given. Please don't feel like you have to answer all of them!! 

Welcome to the site:

Hey All,

I am new to investing, actually just working on getting started. I do currently buy bulk lots off ebay/craigslist and then part them out. This has been making me a good profit from selling on ebay and bricklink, but I would like to try my hand at investing.

I KNOW that every new person asks these types of questions and a lot of people are going to just say "look at the forums", but sometimes it just difficult to find the answer your looking for unless you have some really good google-fu.

Questions:

Is there anyway to know the exact release date of new exclusives? I tried to google this but I just get partial information. Sometimes when a series is about to be released (I.e. "Agents"), I might see a date, but the notice they give is only a week or so. Is that normal?  LEGO usually announces this.  Many times they have videos showcasing the set.  The Lego website will usually let you know this info.

How do I know which sets are about to retire? Do I just need to speculate based on how long a set has been out? Is there a normal cycle for sets or is it completely random usually? I did see a section on Lego that has "Retiring Soon", but almost all the sets are "Sold Out", if I wait until they are on this list, will I be too late? This is the billion dollar question, no one knows.

At what time would I have had to be on the Lego.com website to get 9464 The Vampyre Hearse at the $8.98 price? Not sure what you mean by "what time?", but I think this happened by error quite a while ago.  I missed it too.

Whats the best time to check Lego.com for the New Arrivals/Retiring Soon, do you they always update right at 12pm EST or PST? I honestly have no idea.  I don't think there is a set time.  I have seen updates any time during the day.

I have about $200 to start. Do I just buy GE and sit on it? Sure that is a good one. As far as sitting on it, don't do that, you will damage the box ;)

Thanks in advance for ANY answers given. Please don't feel like you have to answer all of them!! 

$200.  Several questions you need to ask yourself.  How soon do you want to see a return?

What kind of return are you looking for?  20% 30% 100% profit...each answer may take a different period of time.

Small sets are hard to guage, large sets tend to take a lot of time.

Using that $200 on exclusives is a great idea...however unless you were buying during the last two years when discounts could still be had you will be paying retail.

That just means you will have to wait longer than those who scored exclusives on a discount.

Keep doing what you are doing if the money if flowing for now.  Many of the exclusives us hoarders are buying up may not retire till later this year.

The more capital you have to start investing with the easier it will to make money.

I also enjoy buying large lots on Ebay to resell.  I strive to find lots that are concentrated in a certain theme I enjoy.

That way I can piece together loose sets, get the experience of building them, then resell to a new owner.

Each person has their own method.  It will take some time to discover yours.  Have fun and enjoy building.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not gona go into much detail of how to tell when sets are gona retire or when to expect profits and how much because its all speculation looking at past results. Right now I have been buying up haunted houses I'm new to investing not new to collecting lego though so I have some inside info already. Anyway the Haunted House hasn't been showing up in Lego Stores and sounds like a Retirement this year or is already done and selling off what is left. With your 200 I would buy a haunted house right now you can hold it for as long as you want its gona be a good return I know its a beautiful set Haunted House is something people are familar with and can be used as a display set or a great play set. Buy now take advantage of the free balloon cart sell the cart and basically get the HH for $170. Also if you sign up for lego vip you'll earn points if you didn't already know, and you will almost get enough vip points to take 10 dollars off your next purchase. You will earn $5 though.

• Like 1

Alot of good questions that even the wisest most profitable investors on this site dont have answers too, and if they did i dont think they would be willing to share them for free. Knowledge of when a set will retire, when new sets will be released, etc... is well guarded info by LEGO, even if an investor found out i doubt they would start telling everyone as it could potentially net them massive profits by being able to beat the masses of lego investors to a good deal.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to collecting and investing as well and have the same questions you do. I guess the more you search forums here on brickpicker and look on YouTube at Lego investing videos, you'll start finding out info on themes that are going into retirement and other sets that are coming in the future. Keep reading the forums and try to stay current with Lego news. Good luck!

Is there anyway to know the exact release date of new exclusives? I tried to google this but I just get partial information. Sometimes when a series is about to be released (I.e. "Agents"), I might see a date, but the notice they give is only a week or so. Is that normal?

I find Lego fan sites usually get the inside scoops on new releases quicker than anyone else. The Brick Fan, Eurobricks, The Brick Show, etc. get info on new sets before you hear it officially from Lego. That said, they usually don't have the release dates immediately. Routine visits to any of these (Brickpicker too!) will usually unearth what's coming up in the new releases.

Official Lego Releases are almost always done on the first of the month, but TRU will sometimes have the new releases on shelves 1-2 weeks in advance. Also, many Exclusives are released to VIPs on the 15th of the month before the official release.