LEGO Bans - Open Discussion

IMDeus

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Jessekidd13 said:

What kind of rough volume are you talking about here?  

The address ban was from earlier this year, July, when i was flipping sets on Amazon. The volume was 7-8 orders on 3 accounts a day. With orders under 300-400$. Relatively minimal, considering two years ago I placed orders for 600 Iron Golems, 120 B Wings, 600 Sh*tter Robots, etc. I suspect my accounts were flagged from high volume last Christmas. Target has a fraud team according to customer service rep's i spoke to on the phone, who research and determine reseller activity.

It's pretty hard to avoid being spotted if you are a mid sized reseller. Imagine the number of people who buy over 5000$ of Lego from Target, 10K from Target, 20k? Run a query and you can see the top 100 people who ordered Lego from Target.

Target has more aggressively filtered "fraudulent addresses" as well. I'd open multiple accounts with variant addresses. Sometime in the summer Target data corrected all my variants to the USPS standard address (probably another reason I was flagged).

This spring I'm going to setup a more robust method for buyer account protection to maintain longevity in this business. Companies are going to continue to become more and more strict. They will begin to get smarter as well. With the improvements in capturing data  and data processing, fraud or unwanted buyers are very easy to spot.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jessekidd13 said:

What kind of rough volume are you talking about here?  

I got banned from Target during their online clearance sale in October 2019.  I placed one order for $16k and another for $5k.  Both went through, but nothing after that until about a month ago when orders started flowing through again without issue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

That's awesome.

I used to place $2k - $3k orders back in the day until I got "the letter".  But never got banned.

It was stupid and I knew better, but I hadn't ordered anything from Target up to that point in the year and had gotten in the habit of making every order with Walmart really large since I never knew when one would actually go through.

I just lost my Target Debit card for 12 months.  I thought it was linked to a different checking account than it was and had multiple chargebacks.  Target Credit Card has such a low limit for not using it for so long that its basically unusable.  At least they take Apple Pay and get 2% there.

I had the same ban from WM from 2018 to 2019.  I was able to get a few orders through here and there during that time, but it was really inconsistent and I definitely missed out on some great deals.  I haven't had an issue with multiple orders back to back since the quantity limits went in last year, but never really pushed it until last week and haven't had any orders cancelled yet.
However, it is pretty clear (to me at least) that sourcing Lego through online retail is not likely to be a viable strategy over the long term if you're operating at any appreciable level of scale.  If it weren't for Amazon intermittently loosening their quantity limits last year, I would probably have half as much inventory to sell this year.  Even some of the secondary online retailers are starting to wise up and impose quantity limits.  Between quantity limits, buying bans, and retailers going out of business, it's becoming a heck of a lot harder to operate at scale.  I'm usually not one to fall for the "sky is falling" perspective, but, in this instance, I do believe that the days of sourcing large amounts of Lego through online retail are winding down (at least for now).  Smaller scale operations don't have as much to worry about, but larger sellers will have to find alternate sources to tap into if they want to keep the gravy train rolling. 

Honestly, I’m shocked Walmart didn’t hire people to hunt us down after the store pickup clearance price glitch fiasco a few years back. I was a noob then knew nothing and was buying with cash on hand when I should have maxed out every credit card I had.

9 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Honestly, I’m shocked Walmart didn’t hire people to hunt us down after the store pickup clearance price glitch fiasco a few years back. I was a noob then knew nothing and was buying with cash on hand when I should have maxed out every credit card I had.

Those were such great deals.  I ordered so much that when I went in to pick it up, the clerk helping me said "Oh, so you're [FILL IN NAME]" and then 3 or 4 others standing around were like "we were wondering about you."  And that happened in a few stores.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Airbear282 said:

Out of curiosity, can you get banned from a LEGO store if you keep trying to buy the same item on days of restock? I got some iffy vibes from the workers who noticed I bought the same LEGO the week prior. Just curious if you guys have some tips. Don’t want to piss off my local store

There is not "official" ban at the Lego store and LEGO Shop at Home is a separate ban.  The can, do and have banned people from stores however.  At the least they may start putting limits on what you can by.  The "iffy vibes" are real indicators.

Edited by gmpirate

I’m honestly just trying to flip to pay for my hobby, so I appreciate the advice (and the great laughs). I wouldn’t say the lady was aggressive, she just said “you were in here last week getting the same one right”? I said some line on the spot like yeah my wife saw what I got for my sister for Xmas and wanted it too. Just curious since next time will be the 3rd time I attempt to buy the same one and assumed you guys have ran into this situation when you find a LEGO store only item that’s a good flip 

1 hour ago, appchasers said:

I got banned from Walmart online in January 2020. Anyone know if bans are forever? Or do they have an expiration?

Care to share what caused the ban?  I placed 10 orders for Slaves when the limit was 2, and have pushed this a few times lately....

11 minutes ago, Banjoman said:

Care to share what caused the ban?  I placed 10 orders for Slaves when the limit was 2, and have pushed this a few times lately....

putting back to back to back orders of the same set on the same day can easily get you banned at walmart.  ordering the same set limit 2 one time per day every day is how i avoid getting banned at walmart  but very slow way of accumulating stock.

• Like 1

I had a few non-LEGO Target orders insta-cancelled last night when attempting to use their 10% off Circle offer.  This is after I had successfully got through approx $15K worth of BF week orders last Sunday morning before they started cancelling subsequent orders.  Tried another small LEGO order a few days ago using something other than red card and it went through. 

Thinking the Circle offer may have triggered something?  I dunno.  FYI.

Just now, carini26 said:

I had a few non-LEGO Target orders insta-cancelled last night when attempting to use their 10% off Circle offer.  This is after I had successfully got through approx $15K worth of BF week orders last Sunday morning before they started cancelling subsequent orders.  Tried another small LEGO order a few days ago using something other than red card and it went through. 

Thinking the Circle offer may have triggered something?  I dunno.  FYI.

ever since i clicked on one of the circle bonuses when it first started last year, i have been unable to place any orders through the app without being instantly cancelled.   

Just now, cladner said:

ever since i clicked on one of the circle bonuses when it first started last year, i have been unable to place any orders through the app without being instantly cancelled.   

I always skipped the Circle stuff @ checkout knowing it was bad news.  Should have listened to my inner-self instead of trying to save $5 bucks buying my daughter a jacket and board game.

Target is still taking my $ in-store without issue whenever I find Slave I's and Land Bounty's.

• Like 1