LEGO Bans - Open Discussion

IMDeus

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, KingFelix said:

So I was warned by LEGO by email

" Thanks for your interest in LEGO00ae.png toys.

LEGO.com/service, LEGO.com/shop and the LEGO Stores are dedicated direct-to-consumer sales channels. In order to provide the highest possible level of service to our consumers, we have instituted a policy of not selling or shipping products or individual bricks and pieces to retailers or business owners/companies via these channels.

Due to our policies, your recent order couldn’t be processed and has been cancelled. Any future orders will also be cancelled.

Please get in touch with us if you have any questions or concerns. "

I'm not sure what I did wrong exactly. I didn't try and go over any purchase limits, I did make multiple separate orders in order to get more Nutcracker sets, I didn't think that alone would get me flagged though.

I did an online chat and they said I was flagged for reselling. I do some selling on Ebay, but I rarely ever sell anything I buy directly from LEGO. Any thoughts?

That's not a warning, that's the ban notice. You're banned. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, andyposterfan said:

These bans seem to be mainly a US problem. Not sure I've heard of any in the UK / Europe? Is that generally right?

I was banned at the beginning of last year. My LEGO username is unique to LEGO only so they couldn't compare that with eBay or anywhere else online. I think the only way that they found out about me was to probably ask eBay what IP address I was using or simply buy something off me and check the returns address. It's very easy for them to do detective work on resellers if they really want to as nobody can really hide online. I called them and asked for proof that I was reselling and, at the time, I had sold one single set bought from LEGO themselves - mainly because they are too expensive to make any profit! 3 months later the ban was lifted with no explanation and I still order what I want and when I want. If I'm banned again and it's permanent, so be it. Nothing is exclusive anymore and the promos are no longer rare. They can even ban their products from being sold on eBay if they want, it won't take much and it would kill the reseller market overnight.

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I had sold one single set bought from LEGO themselves - mainly because they are too expensive to make any profit!

You are speaking about selling sets that are not EOL...  This has been always risky. When you buy sets at S&H and sell them all after EOL then a ban will never happen to you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

Lego has a lot of that blame as well.  They have deliberately shorted some items and promos that wound up having way more production than was ever let on.  Reseller demand only affects the hot sets as well not the 95% of sets that are in production.  The people that have the connections are also helping bail out certain products along the way which goes on in pretty much every collectible / toy company. 

21312 is a great example of reseller horde affecting the initial run.  With the success of 21309 just some talk on here took out the online stock but the in store demand was never that way.  I mentioned this in that thread a few times.  It was a perfect storm for a week or 2 flip.  21309 had true demand online and in store.  Still it got affected by the horde but the set had collector interest as well.    It correlates perfectly to how the 2 have faired as well.  

Lego has done things the past few years that keep pushing the limits of getting more and more product out there.  Promos are not rare anymore and seasonal items last for multiple years.  They did something this year that they have never done (similar to selling the globe outright a year later).    They are trying to sell as much as they can no matter what the costs to their perceived collectible image they used to have.

You said it succinctly sir

3 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

I am European and have answered to an European, too... :-)

I thought uk went out of being part of Europe or I am living in different world ? :D

Edited by newbie77
  • Haha 2

On 11/29/2017 at 10:03 PM, Jackson said:

LEGO bans are real. I have been banned for a long time and have not been able to find a workaround. Who has ideas?

I've been banned for a couple years now, my story is somewhere in this thread, but i don't know exactly what put me on their radar as my buying habits leading up to the ban were mostly in-line with what an average consumer would be doing (i never bought too much from LEGO Shop at Home for investment purposes).

Anyways i have/had dozens of throwaway accounts that i would usually get an order or 2 in (and ship) before they take a closer look and ban it. I've changed up everything like names, billing address, shipping address, credit card numbers, phone numbers, name, IP address, and finally have an account that has been ban free for about a year. Simply changing shipping or billing address sometimes didn't even work for me.

In short i don't think there's a definitive work around other than having every single personal detail changed, like moving, new credit card, new name? (which not many people can do). Not sure why this account has been OK as i really didn't change all that much, but hey i'm happy. I don't really invest much anymore, so i'm glad i have an un-banned account to make leisure purchases online. Of course i live down the street from a Lego store, so i never really got too upset at the ban.

1 hour ago, Sandwraith said:

I've been banned for a couple years now, my story is somewhere in this thread, but i don't know exactly what put me on their radar as my buying habits leading up to the ban were mostly in-line with what an average consumer would be doing (i never bought too much from LEGO Shop at Home for investment purposes).

Anyways i have/had dozens of throwaway accounts that i would usually get an order or 2 in (and ship) before they take a closer look and ban it. I've changed up everything like names, billing address, shipping address, credit card numbers, phone numbers, name, IP address, and finally have an account that has been ban free for about a year. Simply changing shipping or billing address sometimes didn't even work for me.

In short i don't think there's a definitive work around other than having every single personal detail changed, like moving, new credit card, new name? (which not many people can do). Not sure why this account has been OK as i really didn't change all that much, but hey i'm happy. I don't really invest much anymore, so i'm glad i have an un-banned account to make leisure purchases online. Of course i live down the street from a Lego store, so i never really got too upset at the ban.

Only thing I can think of is selling current sets on ebay with similar name would be a red flag.  I personally rarely if ever sell anything that is available to purchase in store.

You must be one of the few Canadians as I have never heard of any others.

6 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I was banned at the beginning of last year. My LEGO username is unique to LEGO only so they couldn't compare that with eBay or anywhere else online. I think the only way that they found out about me was to probably ask eBay what IP address I was using or simply buy something off me and check the returns address. It's very easy for them to do detective work on resellers if they really want to as nobody can really hide online. I called them and asked for proof that I was reselling and, at the time, I had sold one single set bought from LEGO themselves - mainly because they are too expensive to make any profit! 3 months later the ban was lifted with no explanation and I still order what I want and when I want. If I'm banned again and it's permanent, so be it. Nothing is exclusive anymore and the promos are no longer rare. They can even ban their products from being sold on eBay if they want, it won't take much and it would kill the reseller market overnight.

That's interesting Tabby, thanks for sharing.

Would be pretty surprised if eBay shared your IP address / other details with them, that's would be quite a breach of your details.

8 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

That's interesting Tabby, thanks for sharing.

Would be pretty surprised if eBay shared your IP address / other details with them, that's would be quite a breach of your details.

I wouldn't be surprised at a breach of details, but I would be surprised if eBay would comply with this but wouldn't restrict (eg, gate) LEGO sellers on eBay, ala Amazon.

Just curious, is selling used sets getting people into trouble, or is it that people are selling only new, sealed sets?

Additionally, I have been debating about selling my UCS MF just because I know I will eventually get another one, but also the premium price it's pulling right now would give me a few hundred bucks extra to buy more LEGO.  However, it makes me wonder if LEGO is becoming hyper sensitive to people selling that they would be actually tracking MF sales for banning purposes.  There are a bunch of UCS MFs being sold on the secondary market since Sept.  Is LEGO banning everyone who has sold on the secondary market, or what is their rhyme or reason for the bans?  Any thoughts?

Barnes and Noble site won't load for a few days now...  Is this what I think it is, lol.

This page is unavailable due to either geographic restrictions or other restrictions in place at this time. NOTE: other restrictions can be a result of our security platform detecting potential malicious activity. Please try again later as the restrictions may be lifted, or contact your service provider if the issue persists.

Barnes and Noble site won't load for a few days now...  Is this what I think it is, lol.
This page is unavailable due to either geographic restrictions or other restrictions in place at this time. NOTE: other restrictions can be a result of our security platform detecting potential malicious activity. Please try again later as the restrictions may be lifted, or contact your service provider if the issue persists.

I've had the same message sporadically for spans of a few hours. Typically goes away. Happens when I do too many "Find in store" searches in a row, I guess they have a detection system that tries to filter out bots (was going to respond to the Grinch Bots topic about this filter existing, now I don't have to :) )

10 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I've had the same message sporadically for spans of a few hours. Typically goes away. Happens when I do too many "Find in store" searches in a row, I guess they have a detection system that tries to filter out bots (was going to respond to the Grinch Bots topic about this filter existing, now I don't have to :) )

Right, I've had the same from too many searches in too quick of succession.

33 minutes ago, Phil B said:

22 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Right, I've had the same from too many searches in too quick of succession.

yup, I've gotten it in the past as well.

the weird thing is I haven't done a search for days and it's still like that...

12 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

Lego has a lot of that blame as well.  They have deliberately shorted some items and promos that wound up having way more production than was ever let on.  Reseller demand only affects the hot sets as well not the 95% of sets that are in production.  The people that have the connections are also helping bail out certain products along the way which goes on in pretty much every collectible / toy company. 

21312 is a great example of reseller horde affecting the initial run.  With the success of 21309 just some talk on here took out the online stock but the in store demand was never that way.  I mentioned this in that thread a few times.  It was a perfect storm for a week or 2 flip.  21309 had true demand online and in store.  Still it got affected by the horde but the set had collector interest as well.    It correlates perfectly to how the 2 have faired as well.  

Lego has done things the past few years that keep pushing the limits of getting more and more product out there.  Promos are not rare anymore and seasonal items last for multiple years.  They did something this year that they have never done (similar to selling the globe outright a year later).    They are trying to sell as much as they can no matter what the costs to their perceived collectible image they used to have.

What they did with MF 75192 was legit with 10 years since 10179 was released and a significant redesign.

Selling the 2016 holiday set, 40223, for $10 was not cool.

The reissue of the Taj Mahal was shameless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, boliramirez said:

You have not been warned, you have been banned...

Welcome to the Club !

Is your eBay name different from the one from lego LEGO Shop at Home?

Unfortunately I made the mistake of having the same/similar eBay name as my account with LEGO. I never come close to purchase limits with them, rarely sell any sets I buy from them directly and only sell a moderate amount of sets in general. Would they really ban somebody over a few extra nut crackers?

20 minutes ago, KingFelix said:

Unfortunately I made the mistake of having the same/similar eBay name as my account with LEGO. I never come close to purchase limits with them, rarely sell any sets I buy from them directly and only sell a moderate amount of sets in general. Would they really ban somebody over a few extra nut crackers?

I wasn't banned years ago (when I would have thought it was justified), but did get banned last year (when it wasn't).

My impression is that if your order somehow ends up for review, at a certain department (with banning power) - the ban can happen.

Edited by KShine

19 hours ago, ichiroll said:

I doubt it's a ban.  B&N deals with resellers through hard quantity limits.

Hi all, 

I've purchased 40+ times from shop at home over the years spanning back to 2010. Recently, I tried buying ninjago city for Christmas. 

I ordered my set, as happy as could be to get that mega monster of a set to then get this email only 10 minutes later. 

Thank you for your recent order. Please note that your order did not pass our order verification and has been cancelled.

The LEGO® Company takes its customers security and privacy very seriously. If you place another order with us, please ensure that all payment information you provide is accurate and that you are an authorized user for the payment type being submitted.

I got E-13 as the code next to my order as well.

I tried purchasing it three times, twice on one card and two times on another. 

All three times order cancelled. my info was correct. 

I called Lego customer service and they said they would email me but no response

Funny thing about this is that I'm out 990 right now because they charged me all three times but cancelled the order!

Anybody have any reasons why this could happen? has this happened to anyone else? any suggestions?

Pretty ticked to be honest!

35 minutes ago, republicbricks said:

Hi all, 

I've purchased 40+ times from shop at home over the years spanning back to 2010. Recently, I tried buying ninjago city for Christmas. 

I ordered my set, as happy as could be to get that mega monster of a set to then get this email only 10 minutes later. 

Thank you for your recent order. Please note that your order did not pass our order verification and has been cancelled.

The LEGO00ae.png Company takes its customers security and privacy very seriously. If you place another order with us, please ensure that all payment information you provide is accurate and that you are an authorized user for the payment type being submitted.

I got E-13 as the code next to my order as well.

I tried purchasing it three times, twice on one card and two times on another. 

All three times order cancelled. my info was correct. 

I called Lego customer service and they said they would email me but no response

Funny thing about this is that I'm out 990 right now because they charged me all three times but cancelled the order!

Anybody have any reasons why this could happen? has this happened to anyone else? any suggestions?

Pretty ticked to be honest!

Your account is flagged by online process for one of multiple checks. First of the initial flag for reselling. I am assuming it’s the IP check. Or credit card check. 

i am assuming, if you don’t have multiple accounts then it’s nothing to worry about. Just tell the cs you only want one and others were just a reaction. They would restore within 72 hours. Better to call during week days than weekend.

But if you have multiple accounts and it’s because of that then make sure not to use any of the other ones. Wait until dust has settled. Otherwise each one will be flagged and all of them will be banned.

• Thanks 1

Placed one order each on 2 accounts at Lego SAH and got the dreaded E10 email.

Last time I ordered was over Black Friday / Cyber Monday where I placed about 20 orders different sets, all items under the limit.

Do I get to atleast use my leftover VIP points!!?

Edited by ichiroll

14 minutes ago, ichiroll said:

Placed one order each on 2 accounts at Lego SAH and got the dreaded E10 email.

Last time I ordered was over Black Friday / Cyber Monday where I placed about 20 orders different sets, all items under the limit.

Do I get to atleast use my leftover VIP points!!?

If it's not the hard ban, yes you can still use your VIP pts in store

You have to go into the store, make a purchase using that account and if the purchase goes thru then it's not the hard ban