10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

This new arrival Palace Cinema means that an old modular set will be EOL soon. We can expect it. According to you it will be the GE or the Fire Brigade ?

Probably both. These sets have been giving us hints of being retired for months and your point has some merit to it. The Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium have been around a very long time in LEGO years(3+) and the way LEGO manipulates its inventory, you never know when they will retire, but the holidays are over and it is time to clear out the old for the new...and the old is the FB and GE. With the recent sales on these sets, I would pick them up now if don't have one or both.

Check out this sale on Amazon for the FIRE BRIGADE.

Many thanks for your advice. True that holidays and especially end of a year is always the period to stop old items and launch new products. Example Technic line, most of the 2011/10 (8070, 8109, 8043...) 've just been retired from shop@home (France) and new 2013 are on sale.

Browsing the interwebs I have been seeing alot of negativity regarding this new modular. I have already said it but once again I personally don't care for it. There are several reasons here are few........the other modulars have a NYC feeling to them and then this one comes along with a sort of LA feel to it. It is gonna stick out like a sore thumb IMO. Apparently it is modeled after the Graumanns Chinese theatre in Hollywood but I fail to see the resemblance myself. At any rate like I said before I will probably pick one up because I am solely an investor but if I were a builder I could care less about having it in my town. It just doesn't fit in I don't think. There is my 2 cents what does everyone else think, or do you think its too early to tell??

I agree with you that it doesn't quite fit in with the other modulars. I've been 'beating a dead horse' by constantly stating the similarity to the Sid Grauman's Chinese Theater, but that is only because it is the only 'real world' building I can think of and was my first impression. It seems like a nice design overall and a change of pace is a nice thing every once in a while, but I did hope for something that beared more resemblance to this design instead of what LEGO did.

If I get the chance to I would pick up one of this set and, like the other modulars, it will do well in the secondary market when the time comes. (History has proven this again and again.)

I can't wait to see the inside of PC. I think PC is beginning a new wave of modulars. Many will say that PC does not fit with the past ones. Would you rather have future modulars conform to past designs, or would you rather have a new era? I don't know what the future ones will be like, but they must go a different direction to prevent stagnation. I think we will see a transition. I hope someone with a good understanding of architecture will chime in.

I can't wait to see the inside of PC. I think PC is beginning a new wave of modulars. Many will say that PC does not fit with the past ones. Would you rather have future modulars conform to past designs, or would you rather have a new era? I don't know what the future ones will be like, but they must go a different direction to prevent stagnation. I think we will see a transition.

That's very true.

I also am excitedly anticipating more images, particularly the interior, of this modular!

Like I said I don't really care because I won't be building it but it has to be disappointing to builders who want their town to match so to speak. The Cinema that Orc hyperlinked would be a 1000 times better match than what the PC will be, and by the way i don't think that just because someone dislikes the design of the PC means that they have no architectural taste.

As someone who has studded architecture some I have mixed feelings about this set. I do agree that the set does not feel the same as the others. The feeling is more of a regional style vs time period. The pc design is the same as other buildings that are set in the 1920s (the time I think the modulars are set) but when compared to the other buildings is not really set in the same "city." The style of a theatre like that would be more of a stand alone building vs part of a city block like it is. I felt the same with the town hall, looks more like it should have some green space on the sides as well as on a hill to set it apart. That being said I think the actual look and design of the building is fantastic. I know I will add one to my town, as well as to my investing.

Do you guys think it may get to the point where Lego stores just have there own modular section, with GE's and FB's for infinity??? As well as every other modular.

Well, LEGO likes to make money. It is obvious that the current Modulars are selling VERY well, or they would be EOL...kinda like the 10188 Death Star. At this point, the market might be getting saturated with these sets so you will never see Cafe Corner or Green Grocer returns.

Since I'm a big fan of movies and love the old time theaters, I'll be picking up the Lego Creator Palace Cinema (10232) when it is released. I'll be looking for two other Town themed sets to setup on each side of it. Do you guys have any suggestions. I really haven't got into the Town theme much yet, since I've mostly been looking for playability for my son and I.

Exiter I moved your question to the palace cinema thread because this thread was created to discuss this set. To answer your question, you can't go wrong with any of the modulars, IMO though the new cinema doesn't seem to have the same " feel" to it so to speak so I don't know how it will look next to the others in a town. The grand emporium is a must have IMO and also maybe the cafe corner........ Just kidding about the cafe corner unless you have some serious cash to spend and even then i sure wouldn't open it to build it!

Hooray for stickers? I can see some on the 'windows' as posters for movies. Gosh I hate stickers. Aside from that, if they wanted to make a chinese-style cinema, a corner building was the only way to go, a side building would've been too small. This won't go on top of my to-buy items over the Town Hall.

Hooray for stickers? I can see some on the 'windows' as posters for movies.

Gosh I hate stickers.

Aside from that, if they wanted to make a chinese-style cinema, a corner building was the only way to go, a side building would've been too small.

This won't go on top of my to-buy items over the Town Hall.

This topic has been talked about ad nauseum on eurobricks. I don't want stickers on my modular. End of story. If you are paying $150-200 for a set, they should go the extra mile and print everything for you. They printed on the glass panels for Ninjago, certainly they can do it for a new modular. If they are stickers, I will be very disappointed. I will still buy it, but it will not be the same.

I am personally hoping they are lego pieces, or some kind of extra "poster" you can put in the glass for the upcoming attractions and change them out. The marquee had better be tiles too.

This topic has been talked about ad nauseum on eurobricks. I don't want stickers on my modular. End of story. If you are paying $150-200 for a set, they should go the extra mile and print everything for you. They printed on the glass panels for Ninjago, certainly they can do it for a new modular. If they are stickers, I will be very disappointed. I will still buy it, but it will not be the same.

I am personally hoping they are lego pieces, or some kind of extra "poster" you can put in the glass for the upcoming attractions and change them out. The marquee had better be tiles too.

Ditto. I'm guessing (and hoping) that the "Expert" subtheme will translate as "No stickers in these sets, just building!" Maybe one is tolerable but, for the price you pay and what the CREATER theme is supposed to encourage, there is no reason for a sticker to rear it's unwanted head anywhere near these designs.