Shipping LEGO Boxes

I am looking to either learn something new or confirm my suspicions. I am selling a couple of LEGO boxes (yes, just the box. I know, right?) on eBay. From what I can see, there is no *legitimate* way to get around paying $7 to $10 just to ship the thing. I got an eBay request to reduce the price by "flattening" the box. Unless I am missing something, that doesn't change the weight or classification. Thus, it costs the same (though that logic does seem to be lost on buyers, it seems).

Anyone have any different experience or insight shipping just the box? Thanks!

Flattening the box could lead to a lower weight since the box needed to contain the set box doesn't need to be as big. It all depends on the size of the original box you're dealing with. It sounds like a larger box, which may be putting it into Priority Mail. Maybe use Parcel Post or possibly you could get away with Media mail, but I doubt it. You could try UPS or FedEx, but in the end the weight is the weight.

Thanks for the reply. The box is for Palpatine's Arrest. So I suppose if I was selling boxes more seriously, I should buy flat mailing boxes and that would at least reduce the weight of the shipping box. Interesting. 

Thanks again!

I work at the Fed Ex Hub in Indy. Today I saw a Bat Cave come thru the sorter, NOT in a shipping box! It had a BIG postal label stuck to the front of it with postal stickers all over it! Dented and dinged up, and it's journey was just starting!  I hope it's not going to any of you collectors or resellers!

I can't believe Wal Mart would send it like that! I saw a Wal mart return address.

Not the 1st bare bones Lego I've seen either.