Technic Sets, shelf life until EOL.

CNH1974

I have recently started breaking up a bulk lot of technic set, mostly from the 2000s. Unfortunately most are not complete. But the BP MISB prices for them seem to be very high, compared to the RRPs back in 2007-8 etc...

So do large Technic sets always do well? Especially ones that are popular vehicles, trucks, diggers etc...

Also with the extra long life span of some sets, like Death Star and the Modulars do Technic sets still adhere to the 2-2.5 year lifespan.

A quick check shows that all 2011 sets have gone but all the 2012 are available at the moment. 9398 Crawler is at 20% off at various places in the UK. Do people expect this to be gone by the end of this year?

So should med-large technic sets be part of a diversified Lego portfolio?

I have recently started breaking up a bulk lot of technic set, mostly from the 2000s. Unfortunately most are not complete. But the BP MISB prices for them seem to be very high, compared to the RRPs back in 2007-8 etc...

So do large Technic sets always do well? Especially ones that are popular vehicles, trucks, diggers etc...

Also with the extra long life span of some sets, like Death Star and the Modulars do Technic sets still adhere to the 2-2.5 year lifespan.

A quick check shows that all 2011 sets have gone but all the 2012 are available at the moment. 9398 Crawler is at 20% off at various places in the UK. Do people expect this to be gone by the end of this year?

So should med-large technic sets be part of a diversified Lego portfolio?

If you've never read Quac's posts about Technic sets and their ROI, you might want to.

http://blog.brickpicker.com/lego-technic-investments-on-the-fast-track-or-in-the-shop-part-1/

The audience for Technic as a whole seems to be smaller, but I'd say plenty of AFOLs with some cash like the theme.

• Like 2

If you've never read Quac's posts about Technic sets and their ROI, you might want to.

http://blog.brickpicker.com/lego-technic-investments-on-the-fast-track-or-in-the-shop-part-1/

The audience for Technic as a whole seems to be smaller, but I'd say plenty of AFOLs with some cash like the theme.

Thanks for that link. A brilliant article.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to always read all the blogs as they come out so I must have missed this one when it was published. It mentioned a part 2, I'll have to go a hunting :D