Need advice: SW millineum falcon10179

Trabue2014

Please don't hate me, I am new to collecting and I think I scored a huge find. I purchased a large lot from someone local which included a millineum falcon 10179 used in the box. No manual but original box , with the box being in a 5 out of 10 condition. When I opened it up there are the majority of the pieces and the mini figs . Many of the pieces still in original bags, some in ziplock and some loose. It looks like someone started on it and gave up. I now know this is a once in a lifetime find and am so blessed to discover it.. Here is my question

Because I am new, I don't know if it is better to:

1. Build it , opening the bags to see how complete it is?

2. Leave it as is , (I don't want to ruin the value) but not really know how complete it is?

Separate Question:If I am missing pieces ... Is there special bricks that are only to be used on this set?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it...

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

According to brickset.com there are two pieces unique to this set, the large disc and a 96mm outercable.

If I was a buyer, I'd find it more important that the set was complete than if some of the bags are still sealed, so I say go ahead and build it.

Just my two cents. I'm not experienced with investing in the Star Wars genre so don't just take my word for it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

Please don't hate me, I am new to collecting and I think I scored a huge find. I purchased a large lot from someone local which included a millineum falcon 10179 used in the box. No manual but original box , with the box being in a 5 out of 10 condition. When I opened it up there are the majority of the pieces and the mini figs . Many of the pieces still in original bags, some in ziplock and some loose. It looks like someone started on it and gave up. I now know this is a once in a lifetime find and am so blessed to discover it.. Here is my question

Because I am new, I don't know if it is better to:

1. Build it , opening the bags to see how complete it is?

2. Leave it as is , (I don't want to ruin the value) but not really know how complete it is?

Separate Question:If I am missing pieces ... Is there special bricks that are only to be used on this set?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it...

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

At this point, at least open all the bags and take inventory of the elements.

The other option is to build it since you can't sell it without knowing it's complete.

Personally, I wouldn't build it unless it was known how many elements are missing. This is a huge set with many install steps. People should know up front which elements are missing since ample time will be wasted hunting down say, 1 of 2 silver 1x1 studs to only find out 1 is missing.

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/8810-building-the-10179-ucs-millennium-falcon/

I would also suggest buying a manual since people will want it when you ultimately sell it.

If you are only looking to sell it, I would build all the loose pieces and keep the original bags sealed.  You won't lose any value that way.

But if it was me, I would build the whole thing, display it for a while, and then sell it to buy some other sets.

Personally, I would at the very least, inventory the pieces and open the bags.  I don't think you gain much value by having "some" unopened bags.  If I was a buyer, I would be more interested in knowing that the set was 100% complete than "Hey, I have some loose pieces and some sealed bags, but have no idea if it's all there or not".

For other parts of note outside of the boat rigging and radar dish, there are also like 50+ bluish grey antenna that are not made anymore and would be very costly to replace, along with a large dark red plate that will run you several dollars.  Outside of those, most everything is pretty common.

As a builder, I say build it.  It's a once in a lifetime chance you got here and sounds like it was relatively inexpensive.  Might as well take the opportunity to build one of the most amazing sets in Lego history, and as much as it would hurt the billfold, I would buy instructions if you're going to re-sell.