A way to make a customized packaging for your sets

It may be obvious for several of you (so please don't be harsh and just ignore this topic if you think it's stupid) but I had some really hard time trying to make some package to fit right for the sets I just sold.

I had a set and box, weight with package 3.1kg and I wanted to reduce weight under 3.0 kg (2.950kg) so the shipping price will be lower.

It's hard to bend the cardboard so here is a small tip to help you.

I use a video game/DVD steelbox

2014-033.jpg

So I can bend the cardboard easily

2014-034.jpg

I do it several times, then at this end I use some creased paper

2014-039.jpg

I hope it will help some of you.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

I usually buy sheets of cardboard and cut/fold my own boxes to the perfect size to protect the contents and get it under size/weight limits of the post office. It takes time at first but, now I can make the perfect box in two minutes.

Yes, great idea! I once had to do the same coz I keyed in the wrong info on the box dimensions and the shipping cost went up by a lot despite them both being the same wt. :( this method saved me - otherwise I would have had to pay the shipping cost difference out of my own pocket and make a loss instead!

I usually buy sheets of cardboard and cut/fold my own boxes to the perfect size to protect the contents and get it under size/weight limits of the post office. It takes time at first but, now I can make the perfect box in two minutes.

Wow, that sounds really difficult and time consuming. About how many things do you ship a week? Never the less, glad to hear it's working out for you!

Guest TabbyBoy

Wow, that sounds really difficult and time consuming. About how many things do you ship a week? Never the less, glad to hear it's working out for you!

If it saves paying

Guest TabbyBoy

I would love to see a short video of you making a box!

Yeh, I'll make one at some point or at least post a photo of each stage. Once you get the knack, it's easy.

Another tip in losing some weight. If you pack well enough with bubbles, etc. there are parts of the box (the flaps) you can shorten by cutting them off a couple inches - assuming you pack well enough that it wont matter. I do that quite a bit if I am right on the edge of a pound change (which is a big increase in USPS)

It isn't specified in my first post but yes, it's a good way to lose some weight (actually I did it to this package), thank you for this detail. ;)

I usually buy sheets of cardboard and cut/fold my own boxes to the perfect size to protect the contents and get it under size/weight limits of the post office.

It certainly is the best way to lose some weight ! Although if I can I like to keep a small space around the set so it decreases probability to be damaged. :)

Like the others I would be curious to see a video ! ^^