Ever have this problem w/ USPS & PayPal? Paying the online vs. non-online difference when adding insurance? International shipping.

I never had this issue before even when adding insurance, Non-eBay transaction with payment (over $250) made using PayPal. Buyer is in Singapore. PayPal was used to create the USPS International Express shipping label. Only problem when printing the postal label was adding insurance (not an option within the GUI). I confirmed with both USPS and PayPal phone reps that insurance can be added at my local Post Office. Shipping cost $95 rounded.

At the Post Office, the clerk claimed she wasn't able to add insurance since the "label # or some customs # " wasn't in the system (in hindsight, maybe I should have used USPS.com to print this label...). She also said this happens all the time when international postage labels are printed online and buyers try to add extra services at the post Office.

Her workaround was to add the package into the system by scanning the label's barcode. Then the computer allowed her to add insurance to my package. However, I needed to pay the difference between the amount paid online ($95) and how much shipping would have cost at the Post Office ($140 rounded). Insurance on my package should have cost only $3.85 extra,

So any ideas (based on actual experience) how I can get the difference back I paid minus the legit charge of $3.85 ?

Yes. My advice: don't go to the post office. They suck. As for getting the difference back, good luck. It's probably history.

Now other way to add insurance in my situation. USPS doesn't allow online insurance purchase. It needs to be added at a post office.

Confusing part is USPS allows you to estimate insurance on their web site.

Let's forget the refund,,,

The main question is...

How are people paying for insurance on international orders when that option is not offered online. In my case, I used PayPal for printing a USPS Express International shipment order,

You need to buy the USPS insurance for Express mail at the post office (or use Shipcover Insurance through ebay). Regarding the extra expense (discounted postage, or not), I have had different responses from the USPS workers - some will charge only the net insurance cost (deducting the full postage), others will only deduct the amount you paid online (leaving you paying the non discount portion & the insurance). You need to learn which workers process the transaction that way (charging only the Insurance), and stick with them.

As far as which procedure is correct - I am not sure. I have discussed it with the ones who charge the extra discount difference, they stated that since it is being processed through the post office, the discount is not allowed (they seemed certain).

You need to buy the USPS insurance for Express mail at the post office (or use Shipcover Insurance through ebay). Regarding the extra expense (discounted postage, or not), I have had different responses from the USPS workers - some will charge only the net insurance cost (deducting the full postage), others will only deduct the amount you paid online (leaving you paying the non discount portion & the insurance). You need to learn which workers process the transaction that way (charging only the Insurance), and stick with them.

As far as which procedure is correct - I am not sure. I have discussed it with the ones who charge the extra discount difference, they stated that since it is being processed through the post office, the discount is not allowed (they seemed certain).

Is slipcover offered outside of eBay? 90% of my sales are non-eBay orders and 95% of my international orders are shipped with USPS

Is slipcover offered outside of eBay? 90% of my sales are non-eBay orders and 95% of my international orders are shipped with USPS

I don't believe so - I believe that ShipCover is only available when you pay postage and print shipping labels on eBay (not paypal).

I do believe that stamps.com has a separate insurance option (and shipping discounts). 

Stamps.com does have third party insurance that is reportedly good (I haven't had to make a claim myself yet). I am extremely happy with their service so far, been using it for everything I sell everywhere for a couple weeks or so now, sporadically before that.