Will winter sets drop in value ? (because of the new carnival theme)

biniou

Yes, because there is SURELY 1 person out here/there (if noone else its me) who would rather buy sets on MSRRP than go back and pay inflated prices....

Its logical assumption, and we were taught that in Economy classes.

Ofcourse there will always be people who come later and prefer WW but there is a strong evidence by logic and marketing analysis that some people (collectors) might decide to rather buy new theme if they like both similarly....

Its the same with Castle.... If you are not specifically ''in love'' with Kingdoms colors and design and like both retired and new castle army figs the same, there is no good reason to pay premium for retired battle packs....

You simply go buy the new ones on discount.

This is all based on theoretical assumptions that Carnival theme could or might overtake spot of WW theme....

Its a hypothetical argument!

Nonsense

Mixer attraction has no connection to winter theme (ok, it might look good next to last years carousel, but thats it). As usual, we will get "proper" winter set in october. This year it will be santa's workshop.

I've been out of it a bit - has Santa's Workshop been officially confirmed?

I believe we'll get the Santa's Workshop set announced around the release of this Carnvial set, as last year the Winter Village Market was shown off in July, and this Carnival set also releases in July. Seems possibly intentional on TLG's part, doesn't it? Well, that would be if we assume that it does get announced in July.

All speculation, but who knows.

But more topic, it's as if we're saying because I buy chunky salsa, spicy salsa prices go down, even though that's a whole other group of people who buys it and supports the market already. Meaning that these two themes attract three different types of people, one who likes Winter, another who likes Carnival, and another who likes both.

I believe we'll get the Santa's Workshop set announced around the release of this Carnvial set, as last year the Winter Village Market was shown off in July, and this Carnival set also releases in July. Seems possibly intentional on TLG's part, doesn't it? Well, that would be if we assume that it does get announced in July.

All speculation, but who knows.

But more topic, it's as if we're saying because I buy chunky salsa, spicy salsa prices go down, even though that's a whole other group of people who buys it and supports the market already. Meaning that these two themes attract three different types of people, one who likes Winter, another who likes Carnival, and another who likes both.

Exactly about bold thing was my comment and potentially even the theme point....

Those who like both, might, because of premium WW is asking, rather go for retail carnival theme, and that way WW theme loses a portion of potential collectors = harder to sell = less CAGR....

Its not like this is not the same with any other theme, but the argument still holds.

Ah, good news if it becomes true.

Guys, don't put the santa's workshop near to the toy shop in your winter village, it would be a paradox. :P

In capitalism everybody has competition. Cheap Chinese toy manufacturers will put him out of business.

p. s. I met a Chinese LEGO clone at my nephew's. It was stinky! Man, that plastic had such a horrible stench that I wonder if it is not deleterious. 

This new carnival set will have zero impact on the Winter Market as they both cater to different customers. Like the modular buildings, the Winter sets have a cult following regardless if the Village Market stinks. Winter theme completists will always want one.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

In capitalism everybody has competition. Cheap Chinese toy manufacturers will put him out of business.

p. s. I met a Chinese LEGO clone at my nephew's. It was stinky! Man, that plastic had such a horrible stench that I wonder if it is not deleterious. 

Chinese Jabba figs are made with dried worms meat for a better realism.

It *is* retired in Europe.

It should follow the same trend as previous WV sets:

Released in mid-fall.

Removed from the market halfway through winter.

Available again in mid-fall just in time to seize the newer WV set momentum.

Retired halfway through winter.

Rinse and repeat.

That's what I meant, thanks.

Also, if WV is discontinued (that's my biggest fear :( ), I wonder if some collectors wouldn't grow tired of winter sets taking dust in boxes (first one released in 2009). I really love these sets but I wonder how many people would like some wind of change, and put those sets on Craig's list, so people would buy the new "seasonal" theme (one set each year) and start a new collection.

All in all, winter sets being less considered as pieces of collection (please don't agress me lol...). People are sometimes so "fickle"...

Winter sets won't lose any value here in the US!

• 7 months later...

I do not see carnival being a full theme, it just does not have the draw on its own.  maybe a few sets if the first does well, but its more a complement to the town modular/train sets than a stand alone.  

as for winter, well I am not sure where they will go with it.  much like modular some of the key set ideas are retired, and that will hurt uptake for new buyers.  The workshop will likely breath a few more years of life into the village, but coming up with new and interesting ideas will be a challenge.