To Sell or To Hold, That is the Question...

I loved Lego as a kid (still wish I had my old Black Seas Barracuda and Imperial Flasgship, not to mention my Forestmen and Blacktron II sets) and only recently came out of the dark ages thanks to my 7-year-old nephew who is Lego obsessed.  I've been lurking around this site for a while, but this is my first post.  Anyway....

I was recently able to score 4 x 7471 Mars Exploration Rover, 3 x 4701 Sorting Hat and 1 x 8009 R2-D2 from a local online listing, all still factory sealed.  The Brickpicker market value for these sets is around $800 USD, so I felt pretty good about getting them all for $300 CAD.  I'm assuming that there isn't generally much hope for further growth in sets that have already been retired for a decade, so my instinct is to flip these right away and invest the profits elsewhere (I wouldn't mind having a few Camper Vans in my portfolio). 

But, I'm seriously new to the Lego investing game, so I wouldn't mind a bit of advice.  Is there any value in holding onto these older sets for any longer, or are they just taking up space on my shelf?  If I do sell them sooner rather than later, is there any value in trying to sell them at any specific time, like closer to Christmas for example, or does that not really matter with older sets (or does it even matter with newer sets)?  Any input would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

My opinion is to sell.   In the case of LEGO sets, the most appreciation takes place at EOL (or shortly after).  It then levels off and might climb, but at a slower rate.  I think your gut reaction was right: sell these and buy something with more potential earnings....and the VW is a good example of that.  Not sure CAD prices, but in the US you could get 2 Grand Emporiums ($300), 2 VW's ($240) and 2 Sopwith Camels ($200) and might still have enough after sales tax to treat your significant other to a delicious meal of Taco Bell. Not bad for $300 CAD!

Oh...don't forget selling fees.  Might need to change that to 1 SC. Still terrific though!

• Like 2

I loved Lego as a kid (still wish I had my old Black Seas Barracuda and Imperial Flasgship, not to mention my Forestmen and Blacktron II sets) and only recently came out of the dark ages thanks to my 7-year-old nephew who is Lego obsessed.  I've been lurking around this site for a while, but this is my first post.  Anyway....

I was recently able to score 4 x 7471 Mars Exploration Rover, 3 x 4701 Sorting Hat and 1 x 8009 R2-D2 from a local online listing, all still factory sealed.  The Brickpicker market value for these sets is around $800 USD, so I felt pretty good about getting them all for $300 CAD.  I'm assuming that there isn't generally much hope for further growth in sets that have already been retired for a decade, so my instinct is to flip these right away and invest the profits elsewhere (I wouldn't mind having a few Camper Vans in my portfolio). 

But, I'm seriously new to the Lego investing game, so I wouldn't mind a bit of advice.  Is there any value in holding onto these older sets for any longer, or are they just taking up space on my shelf?  If I do sell them sooner rather than later, is there any value in trying to sell them at any specific time, like closer to Christmas for example, or does that not really matter with older sets (or does it even matter with newer sets)?  Any input would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

I would sell the 7471 and the 4701 and reinvest the profits into other sets. As for the 8009, I would keep the set until the new SW movie comes out. the price could increase substantially due to the new movie.

• Like 1

My opinion is to sell.   In the case of LEGO sets, the most appreciation takes place at EOL (or shortly after).  It then levels off and might climb, but at a slower rate.  I think your gut reaction was right: sell these and buy something with more potential earnings....and the VW is a good example of that.  Not sure CAD prices, but in the US you could get 2 Grand Emporiums ($300), 2 VW's ($240) and 2 Sopwith Camels ($200) and might still have enough after sales tax to treat your significant other to a delicious meal of Taco Bell. Not bad for $300 CAD!

Oh...don't forget selling fees.  Might need to change that to 1 SC. Still terrific though!

Right, and after the meal they'll be in the bathroom for the next few hours. Chance to buy more lego without them knowing. Bonus!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone.  My instinct was to sell, sell, sell, so I'm happy to get some validation on that front.  I hadn't even thought about the impact of the new Star Wars movies, so thanks for that MartinP.   I think I'll pass on the Taco Bell, though.  I've only actually eaten there once and I was violently ill afterwards.

• Like 1

Nice!  I have one (with seals broken but nothing opened).  Do you remember how many sealed bags were inside?

I think I may have just replied to an earlier post you made, but just in case.  Total contents of my box were : 13 bags, 6 loose wheels, the sheet of solar panels, one instruction booklet, a little brochure with information all about the Rover, and an advertisement for LEGO League Tournaments.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  My instinct was to sell, sell, sell, so I'm happy to get some validation on that front.  I hadn't even thought about the impact of the new Star Wars movies, so thanks for that MartinP.   I think I'll pass on the Taco Bell, though.  I've only actually eaten there once and I was violently ill afterwards.

Being violently ill is all part of the Taco Bell experience.

With regards to the new movies, I am not so sure that they will bring a "renewed" interest in Star Wars merchandise or collectibles.  They may flood the market with new toys that will be competition.  Episodes 1-3 did not increase the value of my old Kenner toys from the '80's...in many ways it stopped their growth in their tracks.

• Like 1

I think I may have just replied to an earlier post you made, but just in case.  Total contents of my box were : 13 bags, 6 loose wheels, the sheet of solar panels, one instruction booklet, a little brochure with information all about the Rover, and an advertisement for LEGO League Tournaments.

Perfect thanks for the info!  Sounds like I got a complete one too :)

Being violently ill is all part of the Taco Bell experience.

With regards to the new movies, I am not so sure that they will bring a "renewed" interest in Star Wars merchandise or collectibles.  They may flood the market with new toys that will be competition.  Episodes 1-3 did not increase the value of my old Kenner toys from the '80's...in many ways it stopped their growth in their tracks.

Well, the 8009 is only worth about $40 or so, and I don't really have much invested in SW sets at the moment (a few Sail Barges, but that's about it) so whatever effect the new movies have, it won't really impact me that much.  I just thought it was an interesting angle and one that I hadn't considered.  Mainly, I just hope the new movies are, you know, good.  Actually, that may be one of the reasons why the prequels didn't have much of a positive impact on any of the collectibles: most people thought they were garbage.

• Like 1

Well, the 8009 is only worth about $40 or so, and I don't really have much invested in SW sets at the moment (a few Sail Barges, but that's about it) so whatever effect the new movies have, it won't really impact me that much.  I just thought it was an interesting angle and one that I hadn't considered.  Mainly, I just hope the new movies are, you know, good.  Actually, that may be one of the reasons why the prequels didn't have much of a positive impact on any of the collectibles: most people thought they were garbage.

Very true :)  And in the end it is house money so even if the price does slow, nothing really is lost.  Might be worth the gamble. 

I do hear "wait for the new movies" with regards to the Star Wars (and some other stuff too) to drum up interest.  Not trying to start a big argument, just saying that my experience does not tell me that new movies will drive prices upwards.  Episodes 1-3 had a reverse affect, partly because they weren't good.  But the re-releases in the late 90's is when things started to slow as far as the older stuff went.  People didn't want a loose Stromtrooper from the 80's as much because they could find the "orange carded" one at Walmart that was WAY cooler.  There was just so much Star Wars stuff that was coming out that people couldn't keep up.  My loose Amanaman action figure (with coin, mind you) was going for $80 in the mid 90's....still goes for about that on Ebay.

Very true :)  And in the end it is house money so even if the price does slow, nothing really is lost.  Might be worth the gamble. 

I do hear "wait for the new movies" with regards to the Star Wars (and some other stuff too) to drum up interest.  Not trying to start a big argument, just saying that my experience does not tell me that new movies will drive prices upwards.  Episodes 1-3 had a reverse affect, partly because they weren't good.  But the re-releases in the late 90's is when things started to slow as far as the older stuff went.  People didn't want a loose Stromtrooper from the 80's as much because they could find the "orange carded" one at Walmart that was WAY cooler.  There was just so much Star Wars stuff that was coming out that people couldn't keep up.  My loose Amanaman action figure (with coin, mind you) was going for $80 in the mid 90's....still goes for about that on Ebay.

Good point about all the new merchandise generated by new movies/re-releases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...