Ideas #007: 21109 - Exo-Suit

Noodlenut

How many Exo sets do you currently own?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How many Exo sets do you currently own?

• 1-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-19
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50+

Another set that I`ll definitely order the maximum of. You just can`t not do so with these small sets. Both models look awesome, though Lego`s is definitely more sturdy and playable which will help interest consumers. I love them both equally though for different reasons. 

• Like 1

Really cool that they went with a new color for a classic space figure.  The set itself doesn't do it for me at all, but with the figures and the apparent limited availability of the set, it's going to be a winner for sure. 

Like some others, I have warmed up to this set and can't wait to add it to my collection. The minifigures!!!!

I have to wonder if a single production run for these types of sets truly is defined at 10,000 anymore. That is not a high number when selling to the entire globe and may be the number of stock sold per specific sections of the world. Each Lego store in every state just here in the US could hold about fifty or so in stock I imagine between display shelves out front and the storeroom in the back. Let

I wonder about this one - but think if its limited to 10K its definitely a winner.

Even a 25k - 50k run wouldn't bother me. It's a strong buy if truly "limited". I can only imagine the quarterly runs of other sets.

It's a winner if "limited".

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

I have to wonder if a single production run for these types of sets truly is defined at 10,000 anymore. That is not a high number when selling to the entire globe and may be the number of stock sold per specific sections of the world. 

There is no way in the world only 10,000 are being produced. There were only 5,000 Mr Gold produced and they were ridiculously hard to find. Where did the figure of 10,000 come from?

There is no way in the world only 10,000 are being produced. There were only 5,000 Mr Gold produced and they were ridiculously hard to find. Where did the figure of 10,000 come from?

The designer of the Rover said that one production run of a CUUSOO/Ideas set = 10,000 units.  Now we have the designer of the Exo suit saying there will only be one production run.

Read back one page and see the Rover thread

The designer of the Rover said that one production run of a CUUSOO/Ideas set = 10,000 units.  Now we have the designer of the Exo suit saying there will only be one production run.

Ahh thanks for the clarification.

In any case I am very skeptical of only 1 run. If it flies off the shelves couldn't Lego just do another production run?

Ahh thanks for the clarification.

In any case I am very skeptical of only 1 run. If it flies off the shelves couldn't Lego just do another production run?

Technically, yes. Lego did it for the first Minecraft set, then adopted the Minecraft license more permanently and made a theme out of the sets. Mars Rover on the other hand sold out quickly, but lacking the fanbase that Minecraft has, I don't think TLG received enough angry emails regarding it's sold out status. As of now, the designer says that there is a single production run planned, and I think it will stay at that. There isn't really a large fanbase to an unlicensed idea. Not nearly enough for Lego be swayed to make another run or two.

Any thoughts on when the pre order will be available to VIP members?

Have cuusoo/ideas sets been available for VIP pre-order before? I have not paid attention in the past.

Since CUUSOO sets have limited production runs usually, TLG hasn't been releasing it to VIP's early. If they did, I doubt any would get out to normal Lego customers.

There isn't really a large fanbase to an unlicensed idea. Not nearly enough for Lego be swayed to make another run or two.

I think Lego is uncertain of response to an original unlicensed idea as this would be the first aside from the Research Institute so perhaps they are playing it safe. If you like reading between the lines, the designer did say "At the moment the plan is a single run" which does give some slack as to a possible second run if the model sells out well enough. I would still recommend buying what you can of the set when given the chance just to be safe all the same.

I expect it to be a bit larger than a 10,000 unit production run if LEGO only wants to do one run. Considering it is a new Classic Space set essentially, and with the Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!!! being sold out 2 times on Shop@Home, I expect a 20,000-30,000 unit run. Adults will buy this as nostalgia, kids will like it because it is a mech. Only issue? Unlicensed idea. Crossing my fingers I can get two of these Suits at retail, if not one is completely fine. My LEGO store has released sets early, Delorrean and Ecto-1 were being sold for a couple of weeks before the actual release, according to the employees anyway. Not first hand experience. If you want the set, call your store, reserve a copy and buy it, or stay up late and order it as soon as possible. It'll sell out like Minecraft, it will sell out like the Delorrean, and it will sell out like the Mars Rover. If this is really a 10,000 run, but I expect it to be higher due to the new ideas guidelines which I think do not concern anything regarding production, buy it now or you'll be forced to pay high prices. 

No one every said that a production run was always 10,000 units.  We've just heard that there was one production run on the Mars Rover, and that it was 10,000 units.

LEGO could easily decide to just do one production run on the Exo Suit, but set the production run at 50,000 units, or any other magical number that they want to hit.

I think the 10,000 figure is more of a minimum limit on the size of a production run. A single run may be larger than that, but it will be in multiples of 10,000. It seems my rover had just one run, but some of the estimates here suggest that perhaps 20-30,000 were produced.  This is all just my own speculation, though.  Anyway, can't wait to get a few of those Exo-Suits!

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Since Lego has underestimated demand several times, why can't this be a 250,000+ production run?  It probably will be if sold at other retailers like the Ecto-1.  Someone on here must know the answer?

I'm edging towards the notion that a "production run" has no set value. I much prefer this to the mars rover and the first cuuso, which while nice sets are too "accurate" for me, and anything with the word "science" in it is a bit of a turn off. I my just well pick up 2 exo suits and build one as I think it can fit well with my superheroes Lego and will stand well with 6862 when I get round to buying one, I just like those green spacemen so much.