31026 - Bike Shop & Cafe

StarCityBrickCompany

I can get them for 45 euros against 75 euros oficial price but I am having second thoughts - it is early in the lifecycle and it does look more kids creator tan for adults. I am caught between getting this or the Arctic base for the same price, what do you guys think?

For a short term flip, I would go with the arctic base. Long term hold I would go with the bike shop & cafe. The bike shop reminds me of 7641, which has appreciated quite well since eol. AFOLs building a city scene years from now will want the bike shop/ cafe (or several of them to make each building). They won't want the arctic base, which to me is more of a play set for kids.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Here's a MOD I did on 31026.

post-45435-0-76579700-1416884356.jpg

Most talk about this set is it's size and lack of it. But it's actually quite versatile.

I noticed that buying multiple copies of this set is one way to go on expanding it but I decided to work with one set and multiple pick-a-brick sessions. It was a fun process. I like this set and so does my kid, he just has a modular version of it now.

Hope you guys like it. 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

It seems every large retailer in my region (Walmart, Kmart, Target, TRU) has an absolute TON of these, still on the shelves. They were either overproduced, aren't selling, or both. I am very leery on them as an investment at this point unless deep discounts come, which look like it could be possible.

A few places after Christmas with basically no other LEGO on the shelves had 2-3 of these. Before and after Christmas madness, stores are back to very heavy stockloads.

Any other opinions? Am I writing this off too soon?

It seems every large retailer in my region (Walmart, Kmart, Target, TRU) has an absolute TON of these, still on the shelves. They were either overproduced, aren't selling, or both. I am very leery on them as an investment at this point unless deep discounts come, which look like it could be possible.

A few places after Christmas with basically no other LEGO on the shelves had 2-3 of these. Before and after Christmas madness, stores are back to very heavy stockloads.

Any other opinions? Am I writing this off too soon?

Agree! Gonna wait to stock on this one if I do at all. It is way overpriced to start.

This is heavily in stock around my parts, too. There hasn't been even a whiff of a discount on it at my local B&Ms, so that is probably why it is still warming the shelves. I am praying for Target (granted, Target Canada) to 50% off these ASAP. I wouldn't hesitate to clear the shelves at that buy in. IMO the price point is a little high, and the building sits between kiddie and AFOL, which makes it like the redheaded stepchild of modulars and not exciting enough for kids. I think the Toy Shop price point is better and might generate more interest in this set in the future...

Amazon has 11 of these left.

The Toy and Grocery shop is available for preorder: http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Toy-Grocery-Shop/dp/B00NHQGGNO/ref=pd_sbs_t_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D6AYH81VBVZQ5XPKRKP

It's priced at less than half the bike shop, kindof strange. 

Opinion seems very positive on these "medium modulars."

To me, 31036 boxes look small and uninteresting when placed anywhere near 31026 boxes 

Amazon has 11 of these left.

The Toy and Grocery shop is available for preorder: http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Toy-Grocery-Shop/dp/B00NHQGGNO/ref=pd_sbs_t_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D6AYH81VBVZQ5XPKRKP

It's priced at less than half the bike shop, kindof strange. 

Opinion seems very positive on these "medium modulars."

My partner just built the bike shop and cafe... It's cute and well thought out, but it's so very tiny that I don't see it ever fitting into our modular city. I think the kids will like it because it's easier to "play" with.

If Lego keeps releasing more of these medium modulars, I can see the originals being semi-valuable but it seems they are aimed at kids more than AFOLs like the modulars. I see them more as Xmas sells

My partner just built the bike shop and cafe... It's cute and well thought out, but it's so very tiny that I don't see it ever fitting into our modular city. I think the kids will like it because it's easier to "play" with.

If Lego keeps releasing more of these medium modulars, I can see the originals being semi-valuable but it seems they are aimed at kids more than AFOLs like the modulars. I see them more as Xmas sells

Funny you should say that.

As much as I wanted a Town Hall to build and put into my Winter Village, it just towers over all the other buildings I have for my Winter Village.  I have two Bike Shop & Cafe sets (because I like two of the three builds), and figured they're just the right size for expanding the Winter Village.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been here less than a year followed a lot of the extravaganza, and ins and outs of investing, but what I find little tall about is the secondary market for these midsized sets.

The bike shop isn't a modular, but it isn't small either, and could find into a AOL city scene. Do collectors want to get the old ones like they do the modulars? Not many retired ones so too early to tell? I have seen these with ok discount but have been hesitant to pull the trigger because I don't know what to compare it too.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Brickpicker mobile app

I have been here less than a year followed a lot of the extravaganza, and ins and outs of investing, but what I find little tall about is the secondary market for these midsized sets.

The bike shop isn't a modular, but it isn't small either, and could find into a AOL city scene. Do collectors want to get the old ones like they do the modulars? Not many retired ones so too early to tell? I have seen these with ok discount but have been hesitant to pull the trigger because I don't know what to compare it too.

Thanks

They're unique, if you can find them at 40% off, you should be safe.

Yea I'm seeing around 30% off, but don't know what to compare it to

It's really a new niche.  The closest thing to compare them to are probably the City House/Corner sets.  They really have mixed results.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7641-1

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7993-1

This is the kind of MOC I need to represent my neighborhood.

4867056157_32dd08ee74_b.jpg

• Like 3

It's really a new niche. The closest thing to compare them to are probably the City House/Corner sets. They really have mixed results.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7641-1

This is the kind of MOC I need to represent my neighborhood.

Broken down Chevy on the front yard? Classic.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 2

I like this set. I have 2 on the shelf right now, and plan to add a few more... but it only came out about this past summer, and it seems like a pretty good seller, so I'm guessing we have plenty of time.  The last one I got was $65 (with gift cards, etc), so I'm looking to beat that price before I buy another one. It seems like a "Family House" to me... it could show up some Black Friday at $49 or something, and we'll feel like fools for buying early.

• 2 months later...