Went to the Lego build today - a bit disappointing

cloud_weaver

I was really excited to bring my boys to go to the Lego Movie build today at TRU.  I had called ahead a few days ago and asked what to expect.  I was told the kids would be building their lego sets in stores and then able to take them home.  They usually run out fast, so to expect a line.

So I went early with my kids and found there to be no line, nor did one gather (which was just fine with me).  But rather than actually have the kids build the sets there, they just handed them a bag and instructions and sent them home.   :(  I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed with that, and my 5 year old kept asking me where/when he could build his new set.  Do all stores do it like this?  I really enjoyed the free legos and such, but was hoping for more of a playtime experience w/other kids for my children.

All in all though, it was fun.  And my boys had a blast and have been playing with their new sets for the past 5 hours.  They didn't know any different, just Mom.   :P

Maybe they were short staffed?

I'm not quite sure.  They had tons of staff running around, and really it wasn't that crowded (or at least not what I had expected it to be).  But perhaps it was a space issue.  Either way though, I've heard that our official Lego store does monthly builds so that might be something I take my older one to.  Though it's at the Mall of America and is sure to be an absolute zoo.   :frantics:   Side question - how strict are they on age limits?  My oldest is 5 1/2, but the website says children 6 and up.  I'd hate to take him down there and have him turned away.

I'm not quite sure. They had tons of staff running around, and really it wasn't that crowded (or at least not what I had expected it to be). But perhaps it was a space issue. Either way though, I've heard that our official Lego store does monthly builds so that might be something I take my older one to. Though it's at the Mall of America and is sure to be an absolute zoo. :frantics: Side question - how strict are they on age limits? My oldest is 5 1/2, but the website says children 6 and up. I'd hate to take him down there and have him turned away.

If you look at the lego calendar they have a monthly build if I'm not mistaken. I don't think they are going to really enforce the age restriction, how can they prove he is too old anyways?

I'm sure they handed out the bundles due to the chaos of the last Lego movie free build. I took my kids to the last build and they were short pieces. My kids couldn't build the full set. The pre-bagged set at least ensures that the kids get the full build

The tru employees bag them themselves from my understanding, so it would have been an error in house.