2015 Star Wars Movies - Effects on Extending Current Large SW Sets?

hobbycrafter

I've been perusing lots and lots of discussion regarding the big ticket sets of the SSD, DS, UCS R2D2 and whether or not they are a good idea to buy now, due to speculation that the EOL dates must be approaching soon this year, due to reasons such as a) already having had a long lifespan/two+ year lifespan b ) the increase in high range sets (New UCS X-Wing, etc.) as well as the incoming UCS Sandcrawler and expected Slave I displacing them soon c) various employee rumors (*chuckles*) and out-of-stock scares across various retailers.

What I haven't seen anyone talk about in depth is the effect of the future JJ Abrams Star Wars movie on the lifespan of current sets. I doubt that the current DS is going to live all the way to 2015, but seeing that the DS has run for this long could it be possible that they would extend the SSD, R2D2, or Sandcrawler to live up to, during, and beyond 2015 to ride the hype train purchases of the new film(s)? Or is a 2 year time increase not make sense, and LEGO would rather be producing new sets related to the new fiilm? This question would also extend to the popular 7965-1 Millennium Falcon, almost undoubtedly going to make a reappearance in the new films, as well as any other current OT sets with a moderate chance of connection to the new film.
I would suspect the Falcon, Sandcrawler, and maybe the DS to be the ones to be doing this, as they are the ones with the most playability and therefore the most likely to be sold again, since both Star Wars and LEGO is aimed at children.

What do you expect? Any factors not mentioned? Will the film unexpectedly cause extension of current sets, or EOL dates as we expected them to be?

(On a completely unrelated side note, what is Brickpicker's stance on necroposting? I know some forums will tolerate if a good point is brought up for discussion, and other forums will flat out frown at any form of it. @Mods?)

I personally feel like this will be the last year for both the SSD and DS. LEGO has been updating all the older figures with newer, more detailed figures. Those from the DS need major upgrading. Some already have been in other newer sets. While the SSD is very iconic, it has been out for quite some time and needs a fresh replacement. Although, it would not surprise me for LEGO to retire the current DS and wait a few years and release an entirely new, upgraded DS. Im sure LEGO is not blind to the prices we, as collectors, will pay for large sets. With that in mind, the rumored new larger Millennium Falcon would be right up collectors alley. I think a trend towards larger system scale playsets is also coming. Who wouldn't want a huge DS Throne Room to recreate the final duel? An upgraded Cloud City? Or a Nebulon Frigate? Personally, i am excited by the announced summer sets. I hope the winter '14/15 sets are OT based as well. 

Wouldn't put it past LEGO to reintroduce the Falcon with updated figures, so it's iffy for me. For the SSD and DS, the SSD seems to be retiring this year, like it or not. Now with regards to the DS, I think we'll see it for a couple more years, I said that as it is such a hot seller, even at it's high pricepoint. I wouldn't think that sales would have been so low that continuing to sell it has hurt TLG in any way.

We'll just need to wait and see.

Interesting point, it could go either way I think: they retire a bunch of stuff and re-introduce updated versions or they leave things as is and keep coasting along... I seriously doubt they would retire some popular sets like the Millenium Falcon and not reintroduce them very shortly after

Lego is getting pretty crowded in the high end set market. I really think Lego is going to crack, and you will see multiple sets retire. SSD I do believe being one, and even quite possibly the DS. I wouldn't be surprised if they retire R2D2 either. My gut is telling me that Lego by next year will have a few of these older sets retired to make room for the new sets to really ride the gravy train of the movie. *crossing my finger for a new UCS MF*

I wouldn't be surprised if R2-D2 and the Death Star live long enough to see the premier of the new movie.  R2 will definitely be in the movie, and both of these sets are too popular to retire.  The SSD is very cool, but it doesn't have the same iconic status that R2 and DS have.  I don't think people care that the minifigs in the DS are "old." In fact, some people like the older figs and feel like the new ones are too detailed.

I really hope we get a large Cloud City remake before the new movie comes out, since I feel like new sets are going to be all movie related late next year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like a given that Millennium Falcon has a big role as I ve read more than one report Of a lifesize set being built for the film. Seems like it would be a big reason to keep 7965 going. But you have to consider that its clearly an old trilogy set. Luke, Han and Leia are all considerably older and there will be new minifigures for all of them. And Darth Vader is no more. Premiere is still a long time away and lego will be selling episode 7 sets for a couple of years. Thats why I dont think its likely they would keep 7965 around for 4 more years.

I think the quality of the movies will be a deciding factor on the value of Star Wars.  People might lose interest in the series if they are on the same level as the prequels.  The prequels being a bit of a let down in my opinion.

I agree.  I'm confident in JJ Abrams.  I believe he was spot on with STAR TREK and I have high confidence he will honor the old STAR WARS characters the same way he did with STAR TREK.  I understand he is personally rewriting the movie to put a larger emphasis on the old characters.  I'm sure there will be plenty of new vehicles and characters to create a ton of LEGO sets.  The Millennium Falcon and R2-D2 will probably still be important on some level.  The Death Star will probably still be similar, so many of these sets can still hang around for the next year or two.

I still think the SSD is a goner with the Sandcrawler and Slave 1 UCS sets coming out.  My question is how much of a bump will older STAR WARS sets receive from the increased interest in the new movies?

It seems like a given that Millennium Falcon has a big role as I ve read more than one report Of a lifesize set being built for the film. Seems like it would be a big reason to keep 7965 going. But you have to consider that its clearly an old trilogy set. Luke, Han and Leia are all considerably older and there will be new minifigures for all of them. And Darth Vader is no more. Premiere is still a long time away and lego will be selling episode 7 sets for a couple of years. Thats why I dont think its likely they would keep 7965 around for 4 more years.

Ahh but LEGO has always replaced the MF with a new version every 4 years, so I think it's entirely possible we get a new, updated version.

my 2 cents...

the ep 7 movie is going to be HUGE.  for those who weren't around from 1977, 1980, 1983 and 1999 (despite TPM being terrible, the build-up was surreal), be sure to enjoy the ride.

additionally, people often don't remember just how much lego depended on the SW and H.Potter films for revenue. the reason lego went nearly bankrupt in the early 2000s is because not having a Potter and SW film in the same year uncovered inefficient company processes & wasteful spending.  flaws were usually hidden by massive revenue generated each time a movie was released.

pretty much all original trilogy star wars sets (latest versions) will appreciate for at least a short time.  then how well the movie is perceived (along with characters) and design of the 2015+ lego sets will determine further demand.  even if ships / playsets like the B-Wing, Death Star,  and characters like Vader aren't in ep 7, people will still flock to them if the movie is good.  

I still think the SSD is a goner with the Sandcrawler and Slave 1 UCS sets coming out.  My question is how much of a bump will older STAR WARS sets receive from the increased interest in the new movies?

I think the bump will depend on how many and which vehicles/places from the OT will reappear in the new movies combined with their significance/screen time.

If people like a movie, they will want what they see in it. If there will be a new cool ship, they will want that. If MF and SSD will appear in every corner, they will want those. I think this is a very straightforward logic in marketing.

Considering the available information about the movies and actors, the lifesize MF, I think Disney's plan is to heavily utilize and exploit the popular OT vehicles and characters. Disney is not famous about being too innovative nowadays, they are more likely to capitalize on successful, proven recipes. Reading the signs, what I see is that they don't want to repeat the fiasco of the new trilogy, so they are playing it safe, not wandering too far from the OT in both story and settings. So I believe it is a pretty sure bet that they will receive enough screen time to make OT merchandise sell like candy.

I agree.  I'm confident in JJ Abrams.  I believe he was spot on with STAR TREK and I have high confidence he will honor the old STAR WARS characters the same way he did with STAR TREK.  I understand he is personally rewriting the movie to put a larger emphasis on the old characters.  I'm sure there will be plenty of new vehicles and characters to create a ton of LEGO sets.  The Millennium Falcon and R2-D2 will probably still be important on some level.  The Death Star will probably still be similar, so many of these sets can still hang around for the next year or two.

Nah, the question is how many lense flares are we going to see in SW VII movie :D :D ?

Three years is enough time for TLG to redo / update some ofthe bigger sets.  Plus noone can stop TLG from redoing the sets AFTER SW7 is released.  Everyone knows SW is a cash cow.  What is TLG's plan to capture this market ?

Ahh but LEGO has always replaced the MF with a new version every 4 years, so I think it's entirely possible we get a new, updated version.

True, but if the do replace it, it will probably include episode VII minifigs, styled after episode 7 (perhaps a nice battle worn/damaged version, the girl's been through a lot).  7965 is kind of the "quintessential" system scale millennium falcon, focusing on ep IV.

I think OT sets will do well when the new movie is released, people will always be drawn to the classics, and hopefully people who were kids when the OT came out have deep pockets for buying sets like Jabba's Palace/Rancor Pit.  I know I fall into that category, I have a pretty sizeable OT Lego collection.  With Lego focusing on the new movie, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get any OT (or even PT) sets for a while, giving a nice bump to those sets.

As for the movie, I'm a JJ Abrams skeptic.  I don't care for the new Trek movies, they're fun to watch but they just don't feel like Star Trek to me.  It's a promising sign that he's writing more of the original characters in, shows that he's respecting the source material.

Re: the Death Star, is it supposed to make an appearance in the new movie(s)? I kinda remember it getting blown up (both versions) in the original trilogy. It may have been a major plot point in a couple of the movies. It'd be weird to see a DS III... I still have my fingers crossed that the new trilogy will be based on the Heir to the Empire books - at least that some of those characters will be written in. It doesn't sound like that is the case, though. Bummer.

As for the movie, I'm a JJ Abrams skeptic.  I don't care for the new Trek movies, they're fun to watch but they just don't feel like Star Trek to me.  It's a promising sign that he's writing more of the original characters in, shows that he's respecting the source material.

I do not care about the new ST movies either, BUT I think that is the correct direction for SW7.  For example, one of my chief complains for SW1 was its convoluted storyline.  New ST movies had pretty straight forward storyline (much to the chagrin of ST fans)  and SW4 (arguably the most memorable SW movie) had very straightforward storyline as well.

Yeah...Those original 6 large screen STAR TREK movies were the bomb!  So stylish with those polyester uniforms, bouffant hair and Academy Award winning acting!   LOL

Yeah...Those original 6 large screen STAR TREK movies were the bomb!  So stylish with those polyester uniforms, bouffant hair and Academy Award winning acting!   LOL

I was talking more about the original series, and next generation.  With regards to the orignal movies, they were made 30 years ago, and yes hair styles and special effects change :rofl:  Wrath of Khan is a classic

Acting wasn't that great in the new treks, Chris Pine's kirk is way over the top in my opinion.  Zachary Quinto is the best of the bunch.

Of course, that's all IMHO ;)  to each their own

Blasphemy. How could you compare movie 5, the one directed by the venerable Shatner himself, with the rest of the Star Trek movies ??  :D :D :D

Full disclosure: I prefer movie 4 for the over-campyness and 2 for over the top threat.  And yes I prefer Roger Moore's Bond too :D :D :D

Blasphemy. How could you compare movie 5, the one directed by the venerable Shatner himself, with the rest of the Star Trek movies :D :D :D

Full disclosure: I prefer movie 4 for the over-campyness and 2 for over the top threat.  And yes I prefer Roger Moore's Bond too :D :D :D

I like khan the best, and I though undiscovered country was cool too, but I like Klingons so I'm byassed there.  4 was neat but I really don't care for time traveling plots in star trek, and it's probably why I don't care for the 2009 remake.

JJ himself admited that he doesn't really "get" star trek, and it shows.

Blasphemy. How could you compare movie 5, the one directed by the venerable Shatner himself, with the rest of the Star Trek movies ??  :D :D :D

We all love William Shatner.  T.J. Hooker was a classic.  Also, I loved Roger Moore as well.  Wrath of Khan was a very good movie.  I just appreciate the new STAR TREK movies and if the new STAR WARS look like that, I will be happy.  

• Like 1