FIFA WC BRAZIL 2014

Bold-Arrow

Rubben's 1-on-1 miss during the final will long live in my memory and i'm pretty sure his

Robben's ;)

There are so many good teams but groups E, F, *** and **** are weaker than A, B, C and D, which could pave the way for teams like Germany, Argentina and France to reach the semifinals without too much trouble.

The teams that I see contending for the title are Brazil, Germany and Spain.

Dark horses: Belgium and France.

Awesome thread. Buddy pulled me into football when england played argentina as it was beckhams rematch after the trip the cup before. Tons of history in the pub. Crazy atmosphere. Scored the pk for the win. Pub played the three lions song "its comin home its comin home futbols comin home"...absolutely amazing.

US have a brutal group. Is it considered group of death? Lots of quality draws sprinkled throughout. A couple death groups. Exciting stuff. Ruud van nistleroy tra lalalalalala. Ha.

US have a brutal group. Is it considered group of death? Lots of quality draws sprinkled throughout. A couple death groups. Exciting stuff. Ruud van nistleroy tra lalalalalala. Ha.

I'd say that B (Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia) and D (Italy, England, Uruguay, Costa Rica) are clearly the toughest groups, followed by *** (Germany, Portugal, Ghana and the US).

What I considered weak and did not like that much was the selection of the 8 group heads. I mean, Switzerland, Colombia and Belgium? Colombia hasn't been to a World Cup since 94, Belgium since 02 and Switzerland though qualifying consistently, hasn't done anything remarkable to be granted a spot on that group. Had these 3 teams been replaced by the likes of Netherlands, England, Italy, Portugal or France and the field would've been even for everyone.

I'd say that B (Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia) and D (Italy, England, Uruguay, Costa Rica) are clearly the toughest groups, followed by G (Germany, Portugal, Ghana and the US).

What I considered weak and did not like that much was the selection of the 8 group heads. I mean, Switzerland, Colombia and Belgium? Colombia hasn't been to a World Cup since 94, Belgium since 02 and Switzerland though qualifying consistently, hasn't done anything remarkable to be granted a spot on that group. Had these 3 teams been replaced by the likes of Netherlands, England, Italy, Portugal or France and the field would've been even for everyone.

FIFA seeding is borderline joke...the way they tally points doesn't really reflect the reality on the pitch.

Also the WC has become way too diluted with subpar teams solely for marketing/financial reasons. I used to enjoy the 24 team more as the group stages were more competitive .

In all cases this is gonna be a fun one. Can't wait.

• Like 1

FIFA seeding is borderline joke...the way they tally points doesn't really reflect the reality on the pitch.

Also the WC has become way too diluted with subpar teams solely for marketing/financial reasons. I used to enjoy the 24 team more as the group stages were more competitive .

In all cases this is gonna be a fun one. Can't wait.

Right with you - evidenced by the fact that the US is seeded high usually and still sucks everytime. I have weird feeling they may make it out this year though - just feel like there is something different about the team.

I love the WC. Every four years I have a sport to tie me over until Football (I hate baseball).

I think Brazil is due for another win, especially with it there. 

Brazil squad:

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro)

Defenders: David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Henrique (Napoli), Maicon (Roma), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain)

Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Ramires (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan)

Strikers: Hulk (Zenit St. Petersburg), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Fred (Fluminense)

Neymar will be fun to watch. I predict he will outscore Messi.

It is a very decent squad. They've had much better ones over the years, but this one is capable of delivering the cup.

Neymar is a def fun to watch, but Messi is a more refined/established player.

(La Liga race is getting tighter. Barca v Atletico M game on May 17th is going to be HUGE)

His support team is much better this time around. also being right next to home,  the Argentinians an have an added boost. i wouldnt be surprised if they go all the way. Their offense is probably the most talented with Aguero, Messi , Tevez, Higuain and company.

But Messi has a history of underachieving in the cup du monde.

I was about to say, I think I scored the same number of goals as Messi last cup - 0. And honestly hes not the player he was at the beginning of two seasons ago. That incredible 50 goal season and the streak of like 22 games with a goal came to and end with that nagging injury. Honestly he just hasn't been the same since.

Still wasn't sure he was the GOAT either way. Diego Maradona is still my favorite of all time and my pick for best striker.

As for Brazil, I forgot they had a player who went by "Hulk". How can they lose?!?

Germany's provisional World Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover).

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Erik Durm, Kevin Grosskreutz (both Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Howedes (Schalke), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Marcell Jansen (Hamburg), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal), Shkodran Mustafi (Sampdoria), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund).

Midfielders: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke), Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich), Leon Goretzka (Schalke), Andre Hahn (Augsburg), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Max Meyer (Schalke), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Kevin Volland (Hoffenheim), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg).

Forwards: Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Miroslav Klose (Lazio).

England squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Fraser Forster (Celtic).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

USA preliminary squad :

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (N

I'd second that. Perhaps a better argument for the Premier league. Still have some strong players in MC and Liverpool.

Either way glenbart it will be interesting to see how well the brits do in brazil with a young squad and loads of talent.

I'd second that. Perhaps a better argument for the Premier league. Still have some strong players in MC and Liverpool.

Either way glenbart it will be interesting to see how well the brits do in brazil with a young squad and loads of talent.

England have it really though for starters, paired with Italy and Uruguay. Better hit the ground running or pack your bags.

And no, Chelsea is not the best team in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

The Premier League has the best players in the world, but yet,  the 2 teams in the UEFA cup finals this year are from Spain. 

The Brits will fail again.. they just don't have it. 

It doesn't matter how good their players are anyway, they are cursed. Always short of expectations.

Also don't think anyone could say Chelsea was the Best Club team in the world when they just finished third in their own leauge. The premier league was not as strong at the top this year. Barca and Real Madrid are both better teams than any premier league team.

We (the Dutch) don't have it easy though. Not the toughest group but not far from it. And in the second round we may face Brazil. Who should have beaten us four years ago, but somehow lost their heads.

Here's hoping!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

The Premier League has the best players in the world, but yet, the 2 teams in the UEFA cup finals this year are from Spain.

The Brits will fail again.. they just don't have it.

The PL as a whole has better star-caliber players. But, the 2 best players in the world, Messi and Cristiano IMHO, do not play there. There's not much beyond Madrid, Atleti and Barcelona in Spain.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker