Best sets for building then reselling as used

I have an 8 year old girl who loves Lego's. Due to the cost of Lego's of it, she usually builds whatever I can get on clearance. Most times the sets aren't really what a little girl likes.

I am curious what sets I could buy that once opened I could recover 75% or more of the cost within six months to a year. For example today I bought the friends riding camp for $93 at TRU.

Anyone have any advice for a dad looking to provide his daughter with something better than galaxy squad stuff? I clearly don't expect anything to be a sure thing.

Guest davewager78

Would you really sell your daughter's Lego?  :shocked:

Buy already used sets, perhaps? Better value for building sets, rather than investing. Loads on ebay that look clean and well cared for

I have an 8 year old girl who loves Lego's. Due to the cost of Lego's of it, she usually builds whatever I can get on clearance. Most times the sets aren't really what a little girl likes.

I am curious what sets I could buy that once opened I could recover 75% or more of the cost within six months to a year. For example today I bought the friends riding camp for $93 at TRU.

Anyone have any advice for a dad looking to provide his daughter with something better than galaxy squad stuff? I clearly don't expect anything to be a sure thing.

The modulars are very good for retaining value after being opened. The Friends theme is also excellent at retaining value.

If you search for used Friends sets on ebay, very few are usually available - certainly much less than other themes.  

Just simply buy used sets on Bricklink, or use Brickpicker daily deals to your best advantage. Or just don't buy as much LEGO. But, if you had to ask for my two cents on buying new LEGO that retains value, try the modular, friends, Star Wars, Super Heros or any creator house sets. I'm not exactly sure she'ld like you selling her LEGO though, I myself would rather keep the old stuff instead of selling the old stuff to buy new stuff, but that's just me.

If you can get your little girl into modular buildings, these can fetch close to rrp, but the best thing is, still while they are in production, given that most other sets and discounted you may find it difficult to recoup money selling used. You could try sets that, if you sell the figures separately, then the set, like parting it out.

I appreciate all the tips. I had really only been buying clearance or semi retired and didn't realize so many of the new Friends sets held their value.

I have gone done the buying used road before (however not from Bricklink). The problem I encountered was my daughters frustration with find the right piece since it came in one big lot. The separate bags really seems to help.

Perhaps I am thinking of it wrong, but I figure I have an 8 year old girl who like Lego's. I don't want to put any obstacles in her way so she loses interest. I am trying to do everything I can to encourage it.

Regarding the selling her Lego's, she fully understands when she gets a set she can build it and play with it but when she wants another we have to "trade" it.

Thank again everyone, I really do appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget, every time Lego rereleases something (specifically Star Wars, say the three rereleases they've done of the Republic Gunship, AT-TE, and more than that for some other Original Trilogy sets) the used prices usually take quite a hit from that, if you look at the Brickpicker ebay sales data. Keep an eye on the Daily Deals forum too, I keep seeing really great discount stacking there. Good luck.