Do you use the LEGO Brick Separator?

lobo1969

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a LEGO brick seperator?

• Yes
    • No
    • Used it before but no longer during my builds and unbuilds

I use them when taking down an old set or after building a set from bulk lot to then disassemble.  Using 2 of them in tandem is key for those tricky stacked 2x1 plates.

They have their limitations though.  The sharp wedge bit isn't sharp enough to pry out a tile from the middle of a large tiled area.  For that I sometimes still have to break out the pocket knife.

I'd imagine that the only people who don't use brick separators are the ones who don't realize how useful they are.  And the only thing more useful than one brick separator is two brick separators!  I'm not saying that to be funny either.  There are difficult separating tasks that become a breeze if you know how to use those little orange (or gray) lifesafers.

Before the advent of excessive brick separators in every large-ish set, I would use my fingernails (if long at the time), teeth, or a pocket knife to separate plates. Now I can't imagine how I managed without them. They keep not only fingers and fingernails from being damaged, they save teeth and the Lego pieces themselves. I actually keep one in my pocket at all times.

No, but I'm a girl so I've always just used my fingernails to pull them apart. =)

I'm picking one up for my kiddles though, we had a minor incident the other day where my 5 yr old swallowed a steering wheel trying to get it apart from another piece....   :sweat:

Kids never swallowed any(that I'm aware of), but I did have to get a 1x1 round plate out of my son's ear when he was about 4.  I think we made him blow one out of his nose once as well.

I have a stack of 4x4 plates stuck together and I tried using the separator and ended up bending the plate so it left white marks. Am I doing it wrong? !

Wow! I'm 99.9% sure that the Lego plates are not supposed to do that. Maybe you are putting too much force on the brick separator.