Buying a Set Face to Face, Tips?

XCool

Hello everyone, I've just scoured through "General Buying & Selling" and I don't seem to be able to find some tips on this. 

My wife found a set from some local seller and we are interested in getting it. The set that we found contains about 1000+ pieces, it is already assembled (according to the seller) but will be disassembled for easier transportation. We are meeting him over the weekend. We are both new to buying used Lego sets, so what tips do you have when buying a set from a local seller? How do we check each piece (or you don't?). I presume when the seller says "will be disassembled", he's not gonna disassembled it entirely. 

Thanks. 

Take a look at the set online. Note special/rare pieces and all minifigs that way you can easily see that it is mostly there. It is very probable that a few pieces are missing despite what people say. But a few common pieces are easily replaced. I always pick a few random pieces out to check for mega blocks (not too much of a worry on a single large set) also check condition. Bite marks, play wear, sticky residue etc etc. This will give you a very good idea how cared for the set was. The better the condition the more likely it is complete and a good buy.

Besides that be friendly and don't be afraid to punch out if something isn't right or the set turns out to be a basket case.

• Like 3