70708 - Hive Crawler

Kromulus

When My son and I walked into the Lego Store and saw this set, we couldn't take our eyes off of it. It looks so cool and it appears to have tremendous play value. The only reason I was put off was the fact that it was a non Star Wars space theme and these tend not to do well investment wise. I will most certainly get a set to put together when I see a significant discount, but what is everyone's thoughts on this set for investment purposes?

Investing potential on Galaxy Squad sets hasn't been - AFAIK - proven yet. IIRC the GS line has been around for a year or less, I'm not sure if any set has been retired and if there's one, I haven't checked it's performance.

You could take, as you suggested, other space themed lines and check their performances so you can make a projection.

And as for playability, yes, it does look like a lot of fun.

Welcome to the site by the way ;)

The Hive Crawler is an okay set for investing in.  I probably won't get one just because there are better investments to put my money into, like LOTR and superheroes sets.  My guess is that it will be worth anywhere from $80 to $100 two years from retirement.  Out of all the Galaxy Squad sets,  the best ones to invest in are the Hive crawler and the Galactic Titan.  I think this will be a safe investment, but not a very profitable investment.

• 4 months later...

Hive crawler... worth it at big discount?

Just been reading a few posts on here regarding the Galaxy Squad sets. The Hive Crawler caught my eye when browsing the Lego in our local Tesco and even more so that it was marked on the shelf for