Too good to be true? Should I stay away?

drunknmunkys

Local craigslist ad...

NIB for $270. 

I picked these up today without getting shot.  Boxes are in perfect condition.  I was talking to the guy and he said he could get me 20-30 more.  I told him I would email him what I was looking for.

Now, considering that none of these sets are retired yet and most haven't gone on clearance, is there any legitimate way this guy could be selling them to me for this price?  I would like to buy more but I don't want to get involved in buying $1000s of dollars of possible stolen goods, especially with emails and texts linking me to the seller.

Should I avoid any future transactions with this guy or try to figure out what else he has?

Either stolen or bought with a stolen credit card. I wouldn't try returning the goods to get your money back, the goods would probably be taken back, you'ld have no money, oh and yeah, you'ld probably be stabbed.

Ya, by the time he said that I had already given him the cash and I had the legos in my car.  He wanted me to stay longer and tell him exactly what I wanted but I said 'sorry, I have to get back to work.'

come on, $270 is about the exact price if you added up the target clearance prices for all of these, maybe he works at target, gets a discount, and resells for what people would have paid at the store

Depending on where you live. Where I am, the clearance deals at Target never go beyond 30% off, and most of the larger sets are not on clearance. But, it could be a plausible idea. Don't know how much a employee discount is, but it could work.

come on, $270 is about the exact price if you added up the target clearance prices for all of these, maybe he works at target, gets a discount, and resells for what people would have paid at the store

That is a very good point. All of those have been discounted at target in the last 3 months. If he were to stash some or not mark them so that they made 50 or 70% clearance, then used his 10% employee discount with a redcard that would be very doable. The thing about getting whichever sets he wanted is a red flag though.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker