Changes with LEGO: Anyone Else Catch These Things?

Piece_Out_Studios

So I've noticed recently that LEGO has been making several changes. Some may be good, some may be bad, but they don't exactly hurt us as investors, except for maybe #3 which is could technically. But let me know if you have some more to add to the list, or is it just me that these things are happening?

1) Condensed boxes.
It seems like that the most recent sets I got were almost bigger. This may be because the boxes themselves were smaller to actually fit the set better. I'm not POSITIVE, but I am pretty sure that boxes for most sets (except for battlepacks or $13 sets) have gotten smaller and are a better fit with the set you buy. A couple years ago, I remember buying a $30 Star Wars set and the box was huge! I don't remember which one, but I remember it felt smaller than I was expecting because of the size of the box. A week ago, I picked up the new General Grievous Wheel Bike for $25, but the box seemed so much smaller, and same thing for the Batman: Riddler Chase set (which I got at the same time). You can tell just buy swooshing the boxes around (sealed of course), that it's harder to hear the pieces floating around in there, because it's more condensed.

2) HIGHLY detailed figures.
We all like minifigures and I think most of us appreciate authenticity, but it just might be getting out of hand. The new Luke Skywalker that comes with the Sand Crawler will have Mark Hamil's mole (beauty mark etc., someone correct me if my terminology is wrong) on his face. A MOLE! I don't really know if this is a good thing or not. I appreciate authenticity, but that seems really odd to me. And the new Darth Vader and Obi-Wan in the Summer 2014 wave will have printed on cloaks. Vader gets a cape (because he actually wears one, I guess), but all of Obi-Wan's garments are screen-printed. I DON'T like that in the LEAST.

3) Separation of Figs and Set
In case you were wondering, that was supposed to be sort of a pun like "Separation of Church and State" (not to get political, but as a joke, but I went to the dentist and got nova cane, so none of this may make any sense...). Anyways, the sets are separated in numbered bags to make building simpler, which as a collector I like, and the figures are also separated in said bags. I appreciate this, as a teen who still plays with LEGO. It adds more anticipation in building the next part, rather than wanting to use the minifigs for hours and THEN build the set. But as a parter-outer, which some of you are, but I am not, it makes selling minifigs apart from sets difficult since you have to open 2, 3, or 4 bags to get 1 or 2 figures. It does help with selling the model parts though, since having a dozen bags all opened at once to build a tiny section is time consuming.

4) DC Comics (no longer DC Universe as it was in 2012-13)
Overall, I appreciate this because I am a huge DC fan and comic reader. I don't read EVERY comic, but I read the biggest story arcs and know several characters (including the Martian Manhunter which has caused some stir in the investing world). Many characters have been given interesting looks that some did not expect, such as the Flash. His design is somewhat based on the New 52 (which is DC's relaunch of comic books, negating some things that happened in original comics, and starting fresh). If it wasn't, he would probably have been given the same helmet as in the LEGO Batman 2: The Videogame. Other characters with a New 52 look include: Martian Manhunter, Nightwing, Damian Wayne Robin, Batgirl, and (sort-of but not quite) SDCC Green Arrow. This is probably an effort of WB to streamline the New 52 into all aspects of DC, which now includes LEGO sets/minifigures.

5) Chinese Manufactured Parts
I am not talking about the fake figures you see going for $0.03 on eBay, I am referring to LEGO approved parts that are not exactly the quality standard of normal Denmark manufactured LEGO. Some have wondered how to identify for sure if it was manufactured in China or not. Apart from just noticing look and feel differences, there's some branding you can look for.

As seen in picture 1, I have compared 2 new, recently unpackaged and built, DC Super Heroes 2014 minifigures, Batman and Martian Manhunter. Manhunter is the Chinese manufactured figure.

post-33703-0-56239200-1395093516_thumb.j

In picture 2,  compare the right arms of the figures. On Batman, you can see the first thing very close to his hand is a number (not sure what the number means exactly), and then the word LEGO. On Martian Manhunter, you can see closer to his armpit (I don't know what it's called...arm pin maybe?) there is an indentation with a number. I didn't want to remove the arm in the event I might damage the torso.

post-33703-0-60137400-1395093800_thumb.j

In picture 3, the legs of Batman feature the LEGO branding and numbers. Manhunter's legs do not.

post-33703-0-53457700-1395094920_thumb.j

That is summary is how to identify a Chinese manufactured minifigure.

So is it just me? Did you catch any of those before? Learn something new? I want to hear anything you noticed happening in recent years of LEGO history.

• Like 6

I have only noticed that the boxes have gotten smaller. Other than that, I didn't know any of the other things mentioned. How to identify a Chinese manufactured Lego minifigure is the most interesting. Before I saw this, I thought that the Lego produced in China were about the same quality as the ones produced in Denmark.

As a professional, board-certified parter-outer, I can say that getting the figs and accessories out of multiple bags is No Big Thang. Once you're used to a particular set and what you're looking for, it's a simple matter to pull the relevant bits out of the relevant bags.

For those of us selling off the remainder of the individual parts, we have to open all the bags anyway. For those selling off hunks of buildings or vehicles, they're nicely separated and the bags can be simply taped back up with the non-mini-fig parts intact and ready for eBay or equivalent.

I'm not sure how you're arriving at the conclusion that a particular minifig was or was not manufactured in China, versus Mexico or Denmark. A difference is a difference, but doesn't necessarily identify a specific manufacturing location - LEGO may simply have elected to differ how and where they stamp different items, regardless of manufacturing location.

I have only noticed that the boxes have gotten smaller. Other than that, I didn't know any of the other things mentioned. How to identify a Chinese manufactured Lego minifigure is the most interesting. Before I saw this, I thought that the Lego produced in China were about the same quality as the ones produced in Denmark.

My grandpa ran a plastic injection mold business for many years and I asked him about this and he told me Chinese Manufacturing won't change the quality of parts because they will use the same molds and machines. They will be there monitoring the process and make sure everything is going right, it's not like they're turning the whole manufacturing plant over to a bunch of Chinese people and see what happens.

-I don't always going shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

• Like 3

Regarding #3- with the latest sets released (SW and Superheroes), it seems to me like the minifigs aren't as spread out as they have been.  If I remember right, Cap'****** America vs. Hydra has all three figs and the motorcycle in two of the three bags and Joker's Steamroller has all five figs in only two of four bags.  Also, pieces of figs seem to be more consistent/logical- I haven't seen any legs in tiny piece bags instead of a big one.

I'm appreciating the high detail on the new figs as well.  I've also noticed there seems to be a lot more exclusive minifigures- there aren't many particular ones that are in more than one or two sets.   

So I've noticed recently that LEGO has been making several changes. Some may be good, some may be bad, but they don't exactly hurt us as investors, except for maybe #3 which is could technically. But let me know if you have some more to add to the list, or is it just me that these things are happening?

Everything you just brought up is stuff we've already discussed before across different topics. There was a report back in early 2013 or late 2012 about Lego using smaller boxes which is definitely a good thing for shelf space, storage, and shipping as well as less material used for the boxes themshelves. I like the fact of how detailed minifigures have become these past few years although they do make my much older characters seem a little inferior. Having the minifigure pieces in different bags is more to keep in-store theft at a minimum same as boxes with those punch tabs instead of plain seals at the ends. The reason behind Lego's Superheroes line saying "DC Comics" instead of "DC Universe" probably has to do with DC's newly redesigned logo.

My grandpa ran a plastic injection mold business for many years and I asked him about this and he told me Chinese Manufacturing won't change the quality of parts because they will use the same molds and machines. They will be there monitoring the process and make sure everything is going right, it's not like they're turning the whole manufacturing plant over to a bunch of Chinese people and see what happens.

I agree - There is no way that the LEGO being produced in China isn't using the same equipment & molds.

That's great, but when they use a different, inferior ABS product (which they do), it most certainly affects the quality of the parts. This isn't speculation, this is a fact.

As a professional, board-certified parter-outer, I can say that getting the figs and accessories out of multiple bags is No Big Thang. Once you're used to a particular set and what you're looking for, it's a simple matter to pull the relevant bits out of the relevant bags.

For those of us selling off the remainder of the individual parts, we have to open all the bags anyway. For those selling off hunks of buildings or vehicles, they're nicely separated and the bags can be simply taped back up with the non-mini-fig parts intact and ready for eBay or equivalent.

I'm not sure how you're arriving at the conclusion that a particular minifig was or was not manufactured in China, versus Mexico or Denmark. A difference is a difference, but doesn't necessarily identify a specific manufacturing location - LEGO may simply have elected to differ how and where they stamp different items, regardless of manufacturing location.

The differences he pointed out are correct about Chinese made mini figs. No lego text inside under the legs and the number on the inside of the arm = made in China. Also, the Chinese made figs don't have the black mark on the neck.

The differences he pointed out are correct about Chinese made mini figs. No lego text inside under the legs and the number on the inside of the arm = made in China. Also, the Chinese made figs don't have the black mark on the neck.

Same question: How do you know? (Sincere question, not a snark.)

I get that there's lots of internet chatter, but is any of it actually proven, or just "what everyone knows"?

Sources would be most welcome, I'm always eager to learn.

• Like 1

There was a report back in early 2013 or late 2012 about Lego using smaller boxes which is definitely a good thing for shelf space, storage, and shipping as well as less material used for the boxes themshelves. 

For those interested, here's the announcement directly from LEGO about the smaller boxes:

http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/news-room/2013/february/smaller-lego-boxes-easier-on-the-environment

• Like 1

There have been several detailed posts about this on euro bricks. Also, it's really easy to tell with the figs in hand. Recent CMF series are made in China.

That's great, but when they use a different, inferior ABS product (which they do), it most certainly affects the quality of the parts. This isn't speculation, this is a fact.

TLG would provide exact specs for what plastic to be used.  The only thing changing here is cheaper labour.  Ridiculous to say they would use an inferior plastic because it is being made in China.

If a Chinese company was trying to reproduce/ copy Lego without their consent I could see the quality subpar.

TLG would provide exact specs for what plastic to be used. The only thing changing here is cheaper labour. Ridiculous to say they would use an inferior plastic because it is being made in China.

If a Chinese company was trying to reproduce/ copy Lego without their consent I could see the quality subpar.

Wrong. They use a different, chinese sourced plastic. Hence the inferior quality of the Chinese Minifigures. Don't know what else to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Wrong. They use a different, chinese sourced plastic. Hence the inferior quality of the Chinese Minifigures. Don't know what else to say.

They use the ABS you tell them to use.  Plastic is plastic.  There are different properties to plastic and that is what makes if different.  What country the plastic is in does not make it inferior. 

They use the ABS you tell them to use. Plastic is plastic. There are different properties to plastic and that is what makes if different. What country the plastic is in does not make it inferior.

Who said it was? I said it was a different, chinese sourced plastic. It is also inferior. You seem to be missing the point.