Toys R Us to Announce Store Closings

imirish11

I was in TRU today and was told by one of the higher-ups in the store that TRU will announce this week that they will be closing several stores throughout the country.  There will be large markdowns taking place Tue/Wed/Thu evening, and stores have already rec'd tags to markdown merchandise 30/50/70%, although the selection of merchandise marked down, and the % discount will ultimately vary by store, thus deals will be YMMV. With that being said, I don't know what is going to be marked down, as TRU clearance typically has a very poor selection, so it could turn out to be a bunch of crap put on sale.  They appreciate my business and are very friendly with me when I stop in to shop, so I don't have any reason to believe that this would be false information.

I offered to buy the Lego aisle at 15% on the dollar. They declined.

I was in TRU today and was told by one of the higher-ups in the store that TRU will announce this week that they will be closing several stores throughout the country. There will be large markdowns taking place Tue/Wed/Thu evening, and stores have already rec'd tags to markdown merchandise 30/50/70%, although the selection of merchandise marked down, and the % discount will ultimately vary by store, thus deals will be YMMV. With that being said, I don't know what is going to be marked down, as TRU clearance typically has a very poor selection, so it could turn out to be a bunch of crap put on sale. They appreciate my business and are very friendly with me when I stop in to shop, so I don't have any reason to believe that this would be false information.

If mine closes I will have a hay day. They have some pretty good stuff there.

-I don't always going shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

I was in TRU today and was told by one of the higher-ups in the store that TRU will announce this week that they will be closing several stores throughout the country. There will be large markdowns taking place Tue/Wed/Thu evening, and stores have already rec'd tags to markdown merchandise 30/50/70%, although the selection of merchandise marked down, and the % discount will ultimately vary by store, thus deals will be YMMV. With that being said, I don't know what is going to be marked down, as TRU clearance typically has a very poor selection, so it could turn out to be a bunch of crap put on sale. They appreciate my business and are very friendly with me when I stop in to shop, so I don't have any reason to believe that this would be false information.

You know, I'm surprised they didn't take the offer. Most of their sets are already high priced, so you would be getting them only slightly below retail, meaning the same deal could have been gotten at Amazon. Possibly it's because they won't be one of the stores shutting down?

Four days ago on U.S. Today.com.  A Toys "R" Us was taken private by a consortium of companies in 2005. Nearly a decade later, disagreements among the company's ownership and a high debt burden have weighed down the retailer. In all, Toys "R" Us spent nearly three years trying to time an IPO, before backtracking last May. In early March of this year, industry sources told The Record's NorthJersey.com that the company would soon close some 100 stores. Whether or not the company decides to close stores, major changes may be needed. Real estate giant Vornado, one of the three co-owners of Toys "R" Us, recently announced a more than $240 million writedown on its investment in the company. Among the reasons it gave were the company's 2013 holiday sales results, "and our inability to forecast a recovery in the near term." Toys "R" Us has struggled to keep up with online competition as well. A December report from Bloomberg indicated it was easier to find the holidays' hottest toys on Amazon.com than through Toys "R" Us' website.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/03/12/retailers-store-closings/6333865/

My local stores have clearance tags in place, there are 4 different color tags brown, yellow, blue, green, and a clearance price. The price at the register will be the clearance price minus x%, where the x% changes depending on the color of the tag. I think they are at 20, 30, 40, 50% currently, and will eventually go to 60, 70, 80, 90%. I think the clearance event is good at all stores, not just those that will close. The list of stores closing may only be internal info and not released to the AP. FYI, I did not see a single lego set marked down, mostly "other toys".

Hmmm... my local TRU had that clearance blast deal going on.

Found an older Cars 2 set (8424) on clearance for 30% off.

They also had the Anakin pod racer set (out of stock) for 30% off clearance also.

This particular TRU is in a very heavy traffic and busy shopping center, but it could all be for nothing...