LEGO Flash Mob - Bone Cancer Child

BrickLegacy

Cool. I wonder if we could make this into some kind of annual thing, even if we just pick a children's hospital or like in this case a local child who could use a smile.

Thanks again for all the work you put into this.

I was thinking along the same lines. Christmas time we pick a charity or two

I was thinking along the same lines. Christmas time we pick a charity or two

I like that, I also like the ability to focus more on an individual. Maybe have a target number of sets or dollar amount go to an individual and then have the excess go towards St. Jude's or another children's hospital in the individual's name.

just my 2 cents, and then some

it would be cool if maybe we had a monthly donation thread.

we could have maybe 3 categories

1. "Just being nice" $20-50 example: house burns down, we donate a lego set for the kids
  2. "Stepin-up"   $100-500 example:  Mom has bone cancer, kids have to be keep isolated for moms health, maybe for months in the big city away form their friends and toys. I just had a friend go thru this so I know it happens and it was hard on there young kids. And yes the bone marrow transplant worked and she is Cancer free. 
  3. "Leading the way"   $1000- up to HOW FREAKING AWESOME IS THIS example: this thread or Make-a-wish 

WE could see if Lego would partner with us, maybe giving us a discount and free shipping 

This would be great press for the Lego Group and Brickpickers

Maybe Brickpickers could have a charity PayPal account, and run it like Chive Charities

I know I would definitely do a monthly donation, and help if needed in my community.

The minifig shelf is coming along nicely!  We are picking it up this Friday.  

Guys - great thoughts and ideas on how we can continue to give.  The outpouring of support for Gavin has been inspirational for many of us.  I think it would be awesome if we could extend that to other youngsters battling an illness.

shelf.jpg

• Like 3

Today we gave Gavin his new sets and the minifigure shelf.  He was so happy to get the Sea Cow and Ewok Village!  You could tell by his reaction those were definitely on his wish list :-)  The Super Heroes sets were also a big hit!

I want to once again say thank you to everyone who helped make this happen. The family was very grateful for this.  We talked a little bit about their plans to begin an annual LEGO based fundraiser to keep the spirit alive. I believe this is the start of something very special.  I'll keep everyone here updated as the plans develop.

Please keep Gavin and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

photo.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fellow Brickpickers,

Gavin's family is organizing a "2nd Annual Brick Build" event.  If you would like to continue the tradition of giving LEGO to support a good cause, here is some information I received from his Dad:

We are looking for toys and prizes to place in our Chinese raffle for the kids, these do not need to be building bricks, can be any type of item. The main activities we have planned right now are a station where kids can build their own car and race them against other kids (we will have a race track, and I am trying to decide if I want to use a gravity track, where the kids just let go of the cars, or a pull back motor track), either way we will need loose bricks and lots of wheels. We will have a speed build area where about 4-6 kids will race against each other building the same set (I was thinking of those small bagged sets or a very small box set, need all to be the same set, relatively quick to build).

If I can gather enough 1x1 and somehow get my hands on a lot of 16x16 base plates, I wanted to try and have a station where kids can create a mosaic tile, we will then keep those tiles and create pieces of artwork that we will donate to the Children's Hospitals. The tiles could perhaps serve as a border/frame to a Lego mosaic gold ribbon?. I also wanted to display some larger built sets, like the Death Star, Sea Cow, Simpsons House, etc.. I would love to get a in contact with someone like a master builder to display some of their work, I think that would be really cool. 

I plan to speak with him today to get more specifics on what they still need.  I know they have already received some very generous donations of new and used LEGO but I'm sure they need much more to really make this event fantastic.  If you are interested in donating new or used pieces, base plates, or prizes (new sets), please follow this thread and post what you are can donate that way we can keep track of what is being sent.  Monetary donations could also help to pool money together for something big.  Please PM me so I can send you the address to ship your donation.

Last year was an amazing outpouring of support from across the Brickpicker community.  We received donations from across the globe and the family was very grateful for that.  They are very excited about the opportunity to do this again for children at the local hospitals.

The family put together a Facebook page to help gather support: https://www.facebook.com/brickbuildevent?fref=nf.  Additional information about the event can be found here: http://www.gavinwarriorfoundation.org/brick-build.html

Thank you for supporting this cause!

• Like 1