• Santa's Workshop
  2. 2. Which is your least favorite?

• Toy Shop
    • Bakery
    • Post Office
    • Cottage
    • Market
    • Santa's Workshop

I'm waaaay new to this game, so I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice.  If I can pick up both Friends and SW advent cals, would you buy the same amount of each?  More of one vs. the other?  Also, what kind of prices were these fetching for the Holidays last year?  Lastly, would you put a few back for investment purposes?  It seems like this is one set where sets being unopened would demand a decent premium.

I'm waaaay new to this game, so I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice.  If I can pick up both Friends and SW advent cals, would you buy the same amount of each?  More of one vs. the other?  Also, what kind of prices were these fetching for the Holidays last year?  Lastly, would you put a few back for investment purposes?  It seems like this is one set where sets being unopened would demand a decent premium.

last year sw set was an obivous choice with darth vader...this year not so much...im not sold on it..will flip a few maybe but last year was a much easier gamble...the city set looks better this year to me....only reason why the sw will probably still be good now that i think of it is the movie...without the movie this one would be clearanced imho

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The 2016 LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar - set 75146 - was presented at the NY Toy Fair. Here are some images of the full contents.

--- SPOILERS: the contents of the Calendar are fully depicted in the following images! :) ---

Set Box

Contents of the Calendar

Minibuilds: Slave I and others

Minibuilds: Imperial Shuttle Tydirium

Stormtrooper (?) Snowman & other builds

Minibuilds: several ships

Minibuilds: TIE Fighter and other ships

source: Lego subreddit

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Any speculation on this years seasonal set? We should be hearing something soon as history from last year has VIPs early access in September for the Station. Lego has said there will be a set with the new Plants from Plants materials in November. Dates might not coincide, but there is the possibility of the Winter set having some of these elements since they tend to always feature trees of some sort.

I am thinking it could be a totally new set, possibly a Winter Tree Farm if they are going all -in with the PFP direction. However, we have had 2 new sets released so I think a rehash is likely. The only one that has been rereleased is the Toy Shop ('09, '15), which leaves many sets available: Bakery ('10) Post Office ('11) Cottage ('12) Market ('13).

I agree that it's been curiously quiet this year with regard to the new Winter Village set.  IIRC, there was fairly significant backlash when TLG re-released the Toy Shop, so I (hope) don't think that they'll go that path again.  I think we're probably in line for another building in the village, and I always believed they had a Sweet Shop mocked up for the year that the Toy Shop got redone.  

A tree farm would be a fine idea, though they did a small tree farm in the GWP seasonal sets a few years ago.  Speaking of those, I'd really like to see at least one of those go back to being small sets that augment the winter village.  

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Dr Jedi said:

I agree that it's been curiously quiet this year with regard to the new Winter Village set.  IIRC, there was fairly significant backlash when TLG re-released the Toy Shop, so I (hope) don't think that they'll go that path again.  I think we're probably in line for another building in the village, and I always believed they had a Sweet Shop mocked up for the year that the Toy Shop got redone.  

A tree farm would be a fine idea, though they did a small tree farm in the GWP seasonal sets a few years ago.  Speaking of those, I'd really like to see at least one of those go back to being small sets that augment the winter village.  

I think they'e deciding what to resurrect again ?

I see that the train and station is still very available in the UK so they may just hang on a while longer.

There's currently a rumor over on the Eurobricks forums (spurred on by some post on Instagram) that the WV set this year is going to be some sort of rehash of the Cottage.  

Now, I'm not at all sure how much stock to put into the Instagram poster, but does this jive with what we supposedly know about the box (size, weight) for this year's set?  I don't have mine readily available to check.  

23 hours ago, Dr Jedi said:

There's currently a rumor over on the Eurobricks forums (spurred on by some post on Instagram) that the WV set this year is going to be some sort of rehash of the Cottage.  

Now, I'm not at all sure how much stock to put into the Instagram poster, but does this jive with what we supposedly know about the box (size, weight) for this year's set?  I don't have mine readily available to check.  

I have also heard that they are rereleasing the winter cottage set ?

I've read rumors both ways now, having seen at least one definitive "no" to the rehash idea.  I wonder if we're not just getting a different/new cottage this year.  After all, a village would surely have more than one home.  And I always felt the original cottage, while a great set, was just a bit out of scale to the rest of the buildings in the line - it was too big, and somehow seemed to dwarf all these other 2-story buildings (toy shop, bakery, post office).  

Whatever it is, I would think it will be revealed this week, as the train station was apparently revealed on 8/22 last year.

4 hours ago, Dr Jedi said:

I've read rumors both ways now, having seen at least one definitive "no" to the rehash idea.  I wonder if we're not just getting a different/new cottage this year.  After all, a village would surely have more than one home.  And I always felt the original cottage, while a great set, was just a bit out of scale to the rest of the buildings in the line - it was too big, and somehow seemed to dwarf all these other 2-story buildings (toy shop, bakery, post office).  

Whatever it is, I would think it will be revealed this week, as the train station was apparently revealed on 8/22 last year.

I agree with this assessment. It is my least favorite of the WV lineup. It would be cool to have a mini-modular type setup like the recent run of the Creator 3-in-1 and have multiple houses.

For me, it was always the snow that gathered along the fronts of the roof that just made the Cottage just seem out of place compared to the others. 

Edited by CosmicSpeed