Getting back into castles...

binici

So, with the current castle set, is it considered on par with the older stuff?

It just seems like no one is really into them or it lost its flavor?

For me, as a kid, I used to love the black castle sets, but one out right now seems to cartoony.

What is your take on it? If I didn't invest so far into it, should I just wait for the next sets?

Last year's Castle sets were alright but the overall designs feel like 'filler content' compared to previous entries in the line, and with all The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings stuff out, you can get a definite sense as to where all the attention to detail was being directed. The heroes of the Castle 2013 sets had the same nice printing as before; however, the villians seemed a tad on the simple side although still nice like the Dragon Wizard or Dragon Knight with armor. My grief is how all the sets seem very good guy centered with Dragon Mountain being the only design focused as the baddies base of operations and an odd one at that compared to the big castle for the heroes. Also, why the heck are there so many catapults lying around? They could have added a trebuchet instead at least once just for good measure. :P

• Like 1

The previous castle Kingdoms line was far superior imo, i think the current castle line was just thrown together as management said "we need a castle theme" as theorcking stated the design effort was really more focused on LOTR, and if youre just getting into castles i would start with LOTR, those will be harder to find in the near future and once retired will never be seem again, compared to a generalized castle set which are pretty much always for sale.

Waddamon,

Woot!  Somebody else who actually enjoys the 2013 line!  It's funny you should mention the Black Monarch's castle.  That was my very FIRST castle.  My parents got it for me when I was roughly 6 years old. It's still one of my favorite toys from childhood. :D 

• 2 months later...

Castle is always likely to continue being a pillar theme when it comes to hobbyists. It fits right in there with things like Trains as well, it`s always going to continue. Army builders can`t get enough. I`m certain there are lots of you who have seen pics from events and conventions with all the giant large scale MoCs and such? There is always Castle and trains mixed in there in some form or fashion. Lego really has dropped the ball in the last several year. There needs to be more innovation (battle rams, larger crossbows, redesigns of minifigures, sets designed for older fans as well, not just kids), and this current theme is extremely lame. 

My personal opinion, and maybe I am blinded by nostalgia, but nothing compares to the castle sets of the 90s. I just don't find the magic with the new ones.

That`s a very good point. They had all kinds of different sub-themes under the main "Castle" theme. Now they just have 1 at a time, and the current one is obviously aimed at young kids. Kingdoms was more TFOL/AFOL, but even still, not enough. 

The previous Kingdoms line is very nice.   Mill Village Raid is an excellent set as it comes with farm animals and peasants/villagers.  I don't really like the look of the current castle line, I'd rather spend my money on a few of the Kingdoms sets or Medieval Market Village.  If you don't want to pay aftermarket prices, the Kingdoms Joust set is still available at retail, it comes with part of a castle, king and queen, knights, nobles, peasants, a little bit of everything.

The previous Kingdoms line is very nice.   Mill Village Raid is an excellent set as it comes with farm animals and peasants/villagers.  I don't really like the look of the current castle line, I'd rather spend my money on a few of the Kingdoms sets or Medieval Market Village.  If you don't want to pay aftermarket prices, the Kingdoms Joust set is still available at retail, it comes with part of a castle, king and queen, knights, nobles, peasants, a little bit of everything.

I feel the same way. I just wish they didn't use that ugly blue in the current line. Looks too childish. Builds actually are pretty good but that color is terrible. 

kingdoms joust is a excellent set, especially if you buy two and put them back to back. it can be a very elaborate entrance way to your caste but i set it up as a pair of guard towers for a small town.

don't forget the Chess set is also good to build your army or castle theme set...can't beat the value - cost per minifig.  Comes with the usual 'castle' characters, I think the detail/style could be better (seems a little generic) for adult hobbyist but is a great set to get lots of minifigs quickly.  Seems like our friends across the pond can still buy the Chess set at retail - lucky ducks! 

don't forget the Chess set is also good to build your army or castle theme set...can't beat the value - cost per minifig.  Comes with the usual 'castle' characters, I think the detail/style could be better (seems a little generic) for adult hobbyist but is a great set to get lots of minifigs quickly.  Seems like our friends across the pond can still buy the Chess set at retail - lucky ducks! 

its around $100 here in US and CAN but thats really not that bad for how many minifigs you get, not really a investment at this point but still good price for building a large army.