70807 - MetalBeard's Duel

Piece_Out_Studios

70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow is a great set...apart from the miniaturized version of MetalBeard himself. This obviously means that the only realistic version of MetalBeard fans can acquire is in fact 70807 MetalBeard's Duel. I think this disappointed a few fans to realize they got a wimpier version of MetalBeard in a $250 set, but that's all a part of LEGO. Since he is *technically* an exclusive figure (I say technically because he's a buildable model more than a figure, but whatev's), is this a better "The LEGO Movie" set to stock up on?

I actually think The Sea Cow's version of Metal Beard is awesome. I've built it - it's an amazing example of a microbuild. For the same reason people like the VW mini-camper, I think people will be equally satisfied with the Sea Cow's MB microfigure.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I actually think The Sea Cow's version of Metal Beard is awesome. I've built it - it's an amazing example of a microbuild. For the same reason people like the VW mini-camper, I think people will be equally satisfied with the Sea Cow's MB microfigure.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Then it might just be my personal preference. I may be an elitist... 

Then it might just be my personal preference. I may be an elitist...

Actually, you could very well be right. The funny thing is I had exactly the same thought about my stance! Enjoying the microbuild is a probably not mainstream.

To your original point, I think not having full size Metal Beard in the Sea Cow ship will help Metal Beard's Duel's popularity. I have to believe that in the sequel Metal Beard will play a prominent role. If I had one tiny beef with 1, it's that Metal Beard didn't play a bigger role. His character intriguing and his backstory gives him a depth that wasn't utilized to its fullest. That said, you can only have so many well developed characters before they become either superfluous or duplicative.

• Like 1

Unless your plan is either to: A) stock up on dozens of these, so you need to spread your purchases over time to avoid buying limits and just cope with the shear logistics; or b ) Buy some in hopes of a short term supply issue or regional price/availability difference to quick flip a few, then there really isn't much point buying them now for investment.

Put your cash into something else and make it work for you, then later on buy these sets just before they go EOL or if you score a big discount somewhere.

• 2 months later...