(TOK MOC) 5766 Log Cabin modular

TheOrcKing

It took me a whole lot of planning as well as an understanding of the full sized modular houses but I finally managed to come up with a design utilizing only the pieces included with the three Log Cabin sets I purchased. As it currently stands, it is not a true modular design. However, that can easily be remedied by placing this build across a 16x32 baseplate and inserting four 1x2 bricks with the Technic pin hole in the proper spots but of course that would have used parts not included in the original set(s) itself so they were omitted for this personal challenge of my own design. I was lucky there were just enough tiles to cover the floor and furniture of which I really wanted to accomplish. Stiil I wish I could have come up with some decent foliage for the back garden area that looked nice in the way I wanted but that is a minor quibble I can always iron out later. It is difficult to tell from the angle showing the inside but there is a chicken leg roasting in the fireplace.

Anyway, I am quite pleased with the results and it was a fun exercise working within boundries. This has now become a new thing for myself where I plan to buy around three give or take of every Creator house from this point forward to then 'modularize' it like so to fit within my own original cityscape. (I used some of my storage drawers for a makeshift photo shoot area.)

gallery_2081_127_14665.jpg

gallery_2081_127_56092.jpg

gallery_2081_127_135737.jpg

gallery_2081_127_21226.jpg

gallery_2081_127_79325.jpg

gallery_2081_127_78213.jpg

gallery_2081_127_23155.jpg

gallery_2081_127_73207.jpg

gallery_2081_127_179487.jpg

Please share any comments, opinions, critiques, and/or questions you may have for my TOK MOC. :)

Note:

The images are large in size therefore it may take a while to load all nine of them.

• Like 9

Sweet, very sweet. Makes me want to open a Winter Cottage for some reason!

Thank you. I actually do want to tackle some Winter Village style builds in the future.

I really like how you did the interior.  Good job!

Many thanks. The interior really was the most difficult part of the whole project what with trying to make use of the limited space and tiles but I managed to come up with a flow a person could probably live in. If I had some plates to create an attic, I may have been able to place a small bed and nightstand up there.

I think the inside is very well designed, but I'm not sure I get it? I think it inspires to be a log cabin. It would never be to the right scale as a modular height wise. I'm thinking make it a 16 x 32 floor plan, have a living room with kitchenette, bedroom and a bathroom, Have it mounted on pillars with stairs leading up to a porch/balcony area. Add the dog from the police/forest set. I think you have achieved much in this exercise, nice detachable roof.

I think the inside is very well designed, but I'm not sure I get it? I think it inspires to be a log cabin. It would never be to the right scale as a modular height wise. I'm thinking make it a 16 x 32 floor plan, have a living room with kitchenette, bedroom and a bathroom, Have it mounted on pillars with stairs leading up to a porch/balcony area. Add the dog from the police/forest set. I think you have achieved much in this exercise, nice detachable roof.

I basically took all three designs from the Log Cabin set, picked out the bits I liked, mixed those together with parts I wanted as well, and here's the result so in a way it isn't exactly meant to just be a Log Cabin anymore. I couldn't copy the jutting out brick effect from the main model or even the roof hanging over the sides since it would need to butt up against other buildings. If I wasn't intent on having a tiled floor, I could have opted for a wider single floor abode using the two included 16x16 plates beside another and use that extra space for a bed and bath (which I may end up doing when I feel like going full blown with this). I would keep the main room here as the living/kitchen/dining area though. Height wise isn't so bad sitting beside the Haunted House. Ha. The main floor without roof is seven bricks high while the roof/attic itself is another seven so I could with some plates make the attic space another 'floor' if I felt like it.

Nice model!  If you have enough pieces to get the job done (which I never seem to) nothing beats free building a LEGO room!   :)

Thank you, and you are right. There is nothing quite like building a room out of Lego!

I like the sofa!

Thank you. It's large (and comfy) enough for two minifigures. Too bad it couldn't have been a double decker. Haha.

Oooh. Like the windows out front, has a nice feel. Even better that you challenged yourself by only using pieces from the log cabin.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, buddy. I too like the awnings over the front windows just as much as the large arched window in the back. At first I was afraid the set limitations would be tricky to work with but the more I went through the build, I actually found the restrictions (for the most part) to help guide the process rather than hinder it. Then again, I am used to working under certain restrictions with pixel art among other things so I was not new to the idea. At the least, using only the included bricks helped to keep the color scheme and overall idea consistent.

Very nice and im sure quite a challenge working within those parameters.

Thank you. It was a challenge but a fun one at that. I look forward to the next one on my list. ;)

Nice work TOK!!!!

Many thanks, Rich! :good:

nice work..throw a double couch in there!

Ha ha, I'll see what I can do! Thank you.

Well done TOK. I've been wanting to do something similar with the family house.

Thank you. Ahh, the Family House. Now that would make a grand full sized modular....especially with a couple of well placed light bricks.

Nicely done TOK  :thumbsup:

Thank you, Grolim!

Great work TOK! :goodjob: My favorite part is the fireplace with a chicken leg cooking over it.

Thank you. That is also one of my favorite spots if anything just for the quirkiness of it.

Anyway, many thanks all around to everyone! I am planning to eventually convert this completely into a full modular house type of build with a proper 16x32 baseplate and such but at the moment I am taking a little break to step back and give my mind a rest. In the meantime, I already have something drawn up for the Small Cottage (again, three of the same set using only the included parts).

Very cool.  Off subject, but what is it that the cabin is sitting on?

Thank you, and I created a 'platform' to place the build upon with six of this type of Sterilite drawers beside one another.

sterilite-7535-01261-1-product__30558_zo

I had started to use those for sorting small parts and minifigures but the plastic for the outer shell seems to become brittle after some time so I have now moved onto this type of drawer which is much sturdier and easier to stack.

• Like 1