Info on ThermalPrinters - Printing Shipping labels

So I have had a couple people ask me - my store is currently on vacation. I am not - just contemplating what I want to do from here. A lot of the time and stress from a store is wearing me down and so I wanted to take a couple of weeks break to re-evaluate what I do, how I do it, and make it better and more manageable.

Some people mentioned label printers earlier in another thread and I was intrigued. Looks like a good idea.

Basically, from what I can tell, printers are thermal - no ink or toner. You just buy the label paper. You have to get the right ones for certain labels - still working on that info.

Anyway - if you have one of these, please share your info and knowledge in this thread. I and I am sure others want to buy the right one.

I was shipping 15 packages a day - being able to peel and stick a label rather than pull off 60 pieces of tape would be freakin huge.

Right now I am looking at the DYMO 450. Looks like you can get it for under 100$ (Amazon has it for $83) and I found an ebay seller with 5 sets of 700 labels for $15 or so. So we are talking at least as cheap as inkjet or laser printing.

Thoughts people?

http://www.amazon.com/DYMO-LABELWRITER-Printer-1752264-Software/dp/B0027JBLV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390948850&sr=8-2&keywords=dymo+450&

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dymo-postage-labels

• Like 1

Those labels aren't bad - however they are really expensive and still take printer ink/toner.

From what I am seeing, with the Dymp 450 it could be somewhere near 2-3 cents a label and no ink/toner costs.

I'm sitting here in my office at work, and looking at the Dymo Turbo 330 sitting on my desk behind me.

Amongst the things I'm in charge of, is the physical inventory of all the computers and equipment in my office.  There's about 30 desks that I manage.  With monitors, machines, keyboards, mice, phones, at each desk.

I found it in our storage closet, and gave it a whirl.  Love it!  The stickers seem to hold up pretty well (some of them are stuck onto the underside of a mouse or keyboard, and have stuck for a good 3 months).  I'd use this over an inkjet in a heartbeat.

Link -- Amazon

Edit to add - this is a couple of years old, and I see the new prices on Amazon.  Wow!  I think it was in the high 2 digits a few months ago when I was looking.  It's an older model now, so that could explain the pricing.  My final point is that something similar to this (a newer model) should work pretty well.

I have a Zebra LP2844, can be had for about $90 on eBay (refurbished from a seller with good feedback)

Labels cost around 3 cents a piece if you order 450 at a time, and go down to about 1 cent each from there.

I wouldn't recommend anything else.

I ship between 100 and 250 packages a month.

So, I have to ask. How can a label printer be used with EBay Shipping using USPS or FedEx?  I could see them working for manually labeling stuff, but not for EBay shipping?  Unless I'm missing something?

It works.

There's a lot of changing settings but it will eventually work. I think I found a walkthrough somewhere on the interwebs.

I thought about buying one a while back and posted this same question. In the end I just decided to keep going with the regular Avery labels that cost around $ 0.12 for each, and refilling my own cartridges. Even though the label printer may make a lot of sense for really high volume, long term selling, I really don't want another device to worry about. I will happily pay the extra $0.12 :P