852293 - Castle Giant Chess Set

chinchy

I'm new to the scene and would like to solicit opinions.  I have a Castle Giant Chess set 852293 new in the box.  Should I sell it, or hold on to it for longer?  Part of me is loathe to sell it...  The main reason I bought it was because I thought (and still do) that it was so cool...  This is one of the catalysts that clued me in to the investment potential of Legos, when I saw how much this set was worth after forgetting about it in storage for so long.

So... keep and build?  Hold?  Or sell now?

I would have a hard time parting with that, too big a fan of the game, and the set. It boils down to what your expectations are. If your primary goal is to maximize profit you may want to hold it a little longer. It is still showing growth if you look at the price data. Then again you could sell and reinvest the proceeds in other sets. If I had one, I wish I did, I would open it and use it.

Quite a rare item you got there! And an expensive one at that. Not honestly sure what I`d do in your shoes; it is a unique set worth a pretty penny. If you are a fan of the game that would definitely make selling a piece like this harder, and you`re unlikely to ever get one again. For collection purposes it would be hard to sell, from an investment standpoint, well that`s probably only a bit easier of a call. It does have some growth room for now, at least it appears this way, but it is already worth a lot. I don`t know, I`d hate to suggest you sell it then you regret it later :laugh: it is really neat after all. Tough call. 

If you sell it, what would you want for it?  I can't afford 1000% markup but I had one back in 2009 and it was stolen when our former home was on the market; 'fun' time that was.  Had friends come over and we played every now and then, it was quite the conversation piece to say the least.

When I bought the chess set (in Legoland), it came in an outer shipping box, and I've never even taken it out of the box in order to see the retail packaging...  If the handwritten markings on the box are accurate, I have chess set #143 out of 500...  Is that true?  That seems like a really limited run...  According to brickset, 290 members own this chess set, which probably means the 500 set limit is about right?

When I bought the chess set (in Legoland), it came in an outer shipping box, and I've never even taken it out of the box in order to see the retail packaging...  If the handwritten markings on the box are accurate, I have chess set #143 out of 500...  Is that true?  That seems like a really limited run...  According to brickset, 290 members own this chess set, which probably means the 500 set limit is about right?

Yeah, I doubt it's THAT exclusive ...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Hey guys, so I've had a very rare and wonderful opportunity to get my hands on this set, with some unique conditions.

A co-worker of mine approached me about the possibility of selling a Lego set on commission. He was aware of my eBaying reseller adventures in the Lego market, and thought it might be better to move it on my Lego related TRS account, rather than selling on his rarely used bicycle parts account. He's got a daughter of maybe 3 or 4, and said he's looking to fund some general mixed bricks by selling this Lego set he's got.

Of course I said sure, shoot me some pics of whatever it is, and didn't think to much more about it.

Imagine my surprise when the pics came in of this gorgeous beast of a set, pristine box and presumably complete condition from original adult owner. I was very pleasantly surprised to see where selling prices were sitting, but in my research I've also learned why.... this thing is RARE! I can't find hardly anything about it.

At the moment I'm trying to determine something specific, so I'm reaching out for anyone who may have had the pleasure of opening a NISB copy; Do the minifigs come pre-assembled in the display/storage trays? I can't find any pages in the manual that instruct you to build them.

I want to get top dollar, so I'm going to the lengths of re-bagging by bag number for the next owner for a like-new experience. I need to know whether figures are in individual components in the parts bags, or if they're built in the trays.....and what about their accessories?

Any insight would be wonderful. Any inquiries about a private sale are welcome too.

Edit: Seriously??? I just saw the other thread with the nearly exact same title. Why is the search so garbage? I searched all of those terms with no results. :(

Please merge. Sorry!

11 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Edit: Seriously??? I just saw the other thread with the nearly exact same title. Why is the search so garbage? I searched all of those terms with no results. :(

Merged for you ... searching by the set number often doesn't work but words usually do. My theory on why you didn't find a match is the posts are too old (2015). At some point the website was upgraded between then and now...  and I'll bet the re-indexing didn't work properly on older threads. Hopefully by adding a new post it will get itself found next time.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 852293 - Castle Giant Chess Set