How old should a child be to start using Technic sets?

L3GO LOV3R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my son is 4 years an 10 month and we are assembling the sets together. I caught his attention while assembling a truckand I asked him to assist me picking the bricks. Later we changed the roles and meanwhile I am his(!) helping hand :-) . Generally I do not let him play with the assembled sets on his own and he understood that this Lego is more serious. Santa brought him his own set 8065 this year. Together we will assemble the excavator 8043 in the next weeks. To answer the question: When they are interested in Technic they are ready for Technic! Happy new year !

Hi,

my son is 4 years an 10 month and we are assembling the sets together.

I caught his attention while assembling a truckand I asked him to assist me picking the bricks.

Later we changed the roles and meanwhile I am his(!) helping hand :-) .

Generally I do not let him play with the assembled sets on his own and he understood that this Lego is more serious.

Santa brought him his own set 8065 this year.

Together we will assemble the excavator 8043 in the next weeks.

To answer the question: When they are interested in Technic they are ready for Technic!

Happy new year !

First off...Welcome to Brickpicker!

As to your question, every child is different. I have a very mechanically inclined two year old that can use a screwdriver, but is not potty trained. LOL. The ages on the Lego sets are just to give parents an idea, but they are not set in stone. It sounds like your son is gifted and has the abilty to put together simpler Technic sets on his own. Some kids are just brighter than others and it sounds like your son is in that category. Try these two sets out...

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Technic-Mini-Truck-9390/dp/B005VPRGAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325366686&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4567589-TECHNIC-Telehandler-8045/dp/B002RL7WHE/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1325366734&sr=1-1

They are both simpler Technic sets your son might love...

• 5 months later...

Hearing this now is so weird to me! As a little kid, technic was never something that was a challenge, I just thought that it was supposed to be a new type of piece. You can really start at any age; I was 4 or 5 when I built my first. It's a lot easier to understand if you build it when you're young.

• 4 weeks later...

I recall as a youngster building set 8859 Tractor and being fascinated with the engine pistons and the huge chunky wheels! That set and the box (with the clear plastic cover under the flip-top lid) still sits somewhere in the attic at my parents house....it just might be time to pay them a visit and sneak off and see what is cooking with this old set. There is a bright yellow Forklift also lurking about somewhere. I couldn't agree more with all the comments, especially the one from Antiago - if they are interested in technic then they are ready for Technic. Its simple, yet says it all.

I recall as a youngster building set 8859 Tractor and being fascinated with the engine pistons and the huge chunky wheels! That set and the box (with the clear plastic cover under the flip-top lid) still sits somewhere in the attic at my parents house....it just might be time to pay them a visit and sneak off and see what is cooking with this old set. There is a bright yellow Forklift also lurking about somewhere.

I couldn't agree more with all the comments, especially the one from Antiago - if they are interested in technic then they are ready for Technic. Its simple, yet says it all.

The 853 Chassis was the Technic set that got me going. Moving pistons, working transmission and steering, seats that adjusted, independent rear suspension. WOW. That was a set from 1977. The designer of that set should win an award. LOL.

Also, like you stated, the boxes had a flip open top so that you could see all the parts. Very cool set.

• 1 month later...

One of my first memories is of playing with Technic Lego in the back garden when I was 3.

My son started playing with Lego at 2, he is now 3 & can build simple models himself, he loves Ninjago stuff, but he has played with my old Technics sets from the 80s for quite some time now.

I have numerous Technic helicopters that are all motorized, we use one battery box to power them all up.

We then put Ninja all on the rotor blades, sort of spinjitzu training, haha.

I recent made him a spinjitzu podium that is motorized. The battle can be quite intense with the speed of the motors. Explosive battles are given.

Posted Image

My advice is yes to Technics for younger kids but only with adult supervision.

Regards Alpha.

One of my first memories is of playing with Technic Lego in the back garden when I was 3.

My son started playing with Lego at 2, he is now 3 & can build simple models himself, he loves Ninjago stuff, but he has played with my old Technics sets from the 80s for quite some time now.

I have numerous Technic helicopters that are all motorized, we use one battery box to power them all up.

We then put Ninja all on the rotor blades, sort of spinjitzu training, haha.

I recent made him a spinjitzu podium that is motorized. The battle can be quite intense with the speed of the motors. Explosive battles are given.

Posted Image

My advice is yes to Technics for younger kids but only with adult supervision.

Regards Alpha.

Nice job.

• 3 months later...

My kid is 1yr 9mths and he is fascinated with my cranes (calls them all 'cars'). I let him play with long axels and crane tyre (pieces that can't fit in his mouth just in case). He's figured out how to join certain bricks and peices and spends hours playing with them. Duplo just ain't fun anymore lol! So I guess it depends what age they get hooked to Lego - I was about seven when I got my universal pneumatics set.