Virtual LEGO Investing Game - Win Prizes!

Just now, odysea11 said:

Thanks for the bump, I forgot about this! That was fun! I wish we did something like this every year...not only fun and challenging, but also supplied some interesting data...I was pretty proud of my 5th place finish...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hey odysea11, congrats on your 5th place! I had forgotten about this as well and it's interesting to see how our investments have done.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2014 at 6:53 PM, Grolim said:

Entries have closed. Number of valid entries = 84

Here is a list of all entries:

http://community.brickpicker.com/uploads/imgs/bp_1391294546__entries.jpg

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

it's like a BPer time capsule...

every newb/recent reseller should take a look at this list ...VERY educational

after 7 years...

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1

This is awesome. What a trip down memory lane. This contest was fun. We should do it again.

I chose Jabba’s Palace & Daily Bugles. Looking at eBay sold listings it looks like I picked a couple of winners. I didn’t look at Amazon prices but I imagine they’re pretty high. I remember buying Jabba’s Palace on clearance for $50. Think I had around 20 at one point, and as usual I probably sold too early. Good times.

I’m surprised I didn’t go with Joker Steamrollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

This is awesome. What a trip down memory lane. This contest was fun. We should do it again.

I chose Jabba’s Palace & Daily Bugles. Looking at eBay sold listings it looks like I picked a couple of winners. I didn’t look at Amazon prices but I imagine they’re pretty high. I remember buying Jabba’s Palace on clearance for $50. Think I had around 20 at one point, and as usual I probably sold too early. Good times.

I’m surprised I didn’t go with Joker Steamrollers. emoji2957.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looking at the list; after 7 years, the bar for "success" should be x3 RRP

I was surprised to see how some I perceived as "clear winners" nowadays weren't that great given the relatively high buy-in prices back then. 

looking at the list; after 7 years, the bar for "success" should be x3 RRP
I was surprised to see how some I perceived as "clear winners" nowadays weren't that great given the relatively high buy-in prices back then. 

Agree about $3x.

Regarding your “clear winners 7 years ago” comment, I do wonder if the perception changes how sets performed that weren’t remade / rehashed. E.g. Jabba’s Palace and the Wolverine / Deadpool Chopper.

12 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Agree about $3x.

Regarding your “clear winners 7 years ago” comment, I do wonder if the perception changes how sets performed that weren’t remade / rehashed. E.g. Jabba’s Palace and the Wolverine / Deadpool Chopper.

My picks peaked at 3-4 year mark. :P

This was more of a QF game as I recalled.  Less than a year?

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

My picks peaked at 3-4 year mark. :P

This was more of a QF game as I recalled.  Less than a year?

I didn't read the rules...figured everyone playing gets $1K in chips and can allocate accordingly...time-line would matter, but as a tool to capture a moment in time for current members to learn from...it's pretty cool.

I think it would be a good game to play now limiting it to the current EOL list using RRP for a 1-3 year hold. 

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

6 minutes ago, odysea11 said:

What we need is Grolim to sneak back out of the shadows and take charge again. He ran that contest like a champ. Whoever wants to take the reigns of this better have some time on their hands. There would be at least 3-4 times the entrants at this point.

a $5 entry fee would make the pool probly close to 1k, the one who manages it can take a cut of some sort

44 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

just a google sheets page is all that's needed

and a lot of extra time as well as some serious patience dealing with all of us and our selection submissions/questions/complaining etc.....

And I agree....keep money out of it....money overcomplicates everything...the incentive to win are the bragging rights on this platform

Edited by odysea11

2 hours ago, odysea11 said:

and a lot of extra time as well as some serious patience dealing with all of us and our selection submissions/questions/complaining etc.....

And I agree....keep money out of it....money overcomplicates everything...the incentive to win are the bragging rights on this platform

off the top of my head:

Use a well known EOL list as the list to pull from

a well formatted google sheets page plus clear directions and limitations

A defined start date (RRP or Amazon prices on that day; whichever is higher) and define the various end date(s). No tax or shipping to keep it simple

Define a 1-week period for active changes and then lock it  

$1000 in chips

• Like 1