What was your first AFOL set?

thombockerman

I have a plastic tub of lego from my childhood that I have in the basement.  I have moved a couple times since I last used them, probably when I was about 12. they have been in the same container and although I would never get rid of them, I always figured they would be for my kids, if I ever had them.  I never gave them a second thought and completely ignored the toy aisles at stores before I had kids of my own. 

I was thinking to myself the other day, since I have probably enough lego now to fill a U-Haul- what was my first new set when my interest was rekindled?  its taken me a few days but I have finally tracked it back to the blacksmith attack on sale at target for about $10. I had mostly knights and castle lego, so it was right up my alley.  I believe the next several purchases were smaller pirates sets, captains cabin and such.  shortly after that is a blur of lego vip, wal mart bundles, and amazon shopping sprees and credit card bills I am ashamed to even talk about. 

I still have the blacksmith attack in the box but I just decided that I might put it on display like that- sort of like scrooge mc ducks #1 dime

• Like 1

The set that dragged me back into the game was 7128 Speeder bikes. I love scout troopers! After I opened it up I was instantly warped back to the age of 10. I had always loved Star Wars and Lego as a kid, but the first wave of sets did not drag me out of the dark ages.

It was not until 2003 when I bought Jabba's prize when I started to collect again. Man I wish I had enough money at that time to buy Cloud city :(

I continued to buy LEGO here and there even in college as the first Star Wars sets were released. Then I graduated, got married, and moved 1/2 way across the country in 2001. I got back into LEGO when the LOTR sets came out in 2012. My first set was Mines of Moria!

I started brickvesting after getting hooked in this site around May 2013.

That is funny Ed, the 10030 is what brought me back in 2010. I had seen it in stores at retail and thought it would be fun to build it. A few years later I was thinking about it again and saw the price of it - about $800 new at the time. My jaw dropped. It was that point that got me researching. I now collect for fun and invest for profit. Needless to say, I bought the 10030 - just a used one so I could build it. I made $250 when I sold it a couple years later too.

• Like 2

I was investing for almost a year, when I finally broke down and bought 10235 WV Carousel.  I loved it, and wanted to build a whole Winter Village.  I'd seen them at Legoland California for a couple of years, and just never picked them up.  Boy, do I regret that.

Now I've got Winter Village, and a Halloween Town (centered mostly on Monster Fighters) that I'm building throughout the year, for display around the house.

First set I bought as an adult was 2556 Ferrari Formula1 racing car around 1999. At the time I was a fan of Ferrari and Michael Schumacher. A few years later I bought the 10040 reissue of the Black Seas Barracuda because it was a set I desperately wanted as a kid.

But I didn't start collecting in earnest until 2012 when I accidentally walked by the Lego Store at Rockefeller plaza and saw all the great stuff they make nowadays. I started out with buying Vw Camper Van, then the modulars.

In first investment set was 10193 Medieval Market place

But the first I built probably was 7998 Heavy Hauler which I bought in 2007 "to see what had changed" in the 15 years since I last had built anything.

Then I tracked down set 673 Rally Car and Motorbike which was the very first set I ever received in 1979.

It was not until 4 years later I really did anything further when I discovered I could make money in breaking down bulk lots. Then i discovered this place in 2012.

I was a Star Wars collector for most of the 2000s (I blame a friend and the Original Trilogy Collection) and then I noticed the Battle of Endor (8038) and thought it was really cool.  Man LEGO is expensive!  I skipped it and hoped to find it clearanced someday, but I didn't look that hard for a deal.  I then broke down and bought Jabba's Palace (9516) in Summer 2012 because it was too cool to pass up.  I picked up a few LEGO sets on clearance here and there.  I then found Brickpicker and I have a 6 year old that enjoys LEGO, so here I am.

Yes, I've since picked up a Battle of Endor too...