How much should lego cost by the pound?

dibole

Guest betsy805

Depends if you're buying for resale or to keep, if the megabloks are already sorted out, if there are minifigures included, etc.  If I'm reselling I try to keep it under $5/pound and only target the lots that haven't had the minifigures sorted out.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

while this thread is new I throw out a question.  I've sorted by color a large bin'o lego from childhood and was thinking of starting a BL store but It's going to be a loooong process.  I've read peps thoughts on buying bulk,  what about selling. Where should a start the asking price?  don't what to give them away but don't what to ask to much. minifigs and mega bloks (thanks mom and dad :( )have been plucked out

On eBay selling mixed lots where I have removed any worth while sets, and that have no minifigs I get $5-7 per pound. If you can say a lot is all Star Wars, Harry Potter etc. and are willing to try an auction I've had those lots hit $10-12 per pound. If you sort your bricks by color you can expect $10ish per pound. When I buy mixed lots I will not pay more than $3 per pound unless I see something in the lot that I really like.

• 7 months later...

while this thread is new I throw out a question.  I've sorted by color a large bin'o lego from childhood and was thinking of starting a BL store but It's going to be a loooong process.  I've read peps thoughts on buying bulk,  what about selling. Where should a start the asking price?  don't what to give them away but don't what to ask to much. minifigs and mega bloks (thanks mom and dad :( )have been plucked out

I haven't been doing this long, but it seems to me that for selling on Bricklink you would want to do a sort by type rather than color. Then start listing the higher value pieces, and pieces that you have larger quantity of in same color.

Another member mentioned selling by color, which is an appealing idea for offloading a variety of lower value pieces by bulk but still returning a higher value.

In regards to buying: I only have three CL bulk purchases under my belt to date. I try to weigh it all in, but don't have my chart in front of me now. I know offhand that I have paid as low as $1.80/Lb. for bulk basic bricks (no sets), and up to about $5.50/Lb. for bulk, knowing there were a few sets and good amount of Minifigs within.