How in the heck did we miss this?

DoNotInsertIntoMouth

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=lego+9392&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

9392 Quad bike. Wow. I assume it is retiring - it is basically sold out everything and all the other Technic sets seem to be going away. It seemingly doubled right after it disappeared. 

I managed to grab a couple more but I never would have expected this. Definitely wouldn't expect it to already be outperforming the 9391 tracked crane.

Anyone not miss out and grab a couple of these?

Even at double MSRP, it's a long road to hoe for not a tremendous amount of money...assuming you bought it at 18, 40-18-5(fees) = $17

And an average of one sold per day over the last 2 months, so $17 a day...

I guess it's ok, not for everybody (I think shipping a bunch of these small sets is for the birds personally :)  Rather do a few larger sets with less % return).

• Like 1

cbaker1974, why would you want to spend more money to have a lower roi?

Maybe percentage-wise he'd have a smaller profit, but taking into account the multiple packages that he'd have to send - and all associated costs of these - to match the amount he could profit from a single large set, makes it not worth it for him.

i can still buy those for 20

Even at double MSRP, it's a long road to hoe for not a tremendous amount of money...assuming you bought it at 18, 40-18-5(fees) = $17

I guess it's ok, not for everybody (I think shipping a bunch of these small sets is for the birds personally :)  Rather do a few larger sets with less % return).

I actually enjoy selling these smaller sets.  Sure, the amount you make per set is weaker, but you have a larger buying base, and the sets are pretty simple to ship.  Especially is you use the priority mail boxes.

I actually enjoy selling these smaller sets.  Sure, the amount you make per set is weaker, but you have a larger buying base, and the sets are pretty simple to ship.  Especially is you use the priority mail boxes.

I can see this...yeah, like I said it's not for everybody, but some people can make it work.

Maybe percentage-wise he'd have a smaller profit, but taking into account the multiple packages that he'd have to send - and all associated costs of these - to match the amount he could profit from a single large set, makes it not worth it for him.

I can snag some of those too over here as well :D

Yes...as an example, I bought 10212 for about $200 on average.  If I sell for $350 then I'll earn $108 after fees...which would be like selling 6 of these.  I make a smaller return, but i only have to put the labor into packing and shipping 1 box...like I said before, the small sets aren't for everybody :)  As a "2nd job" it helps to make my Lego investing more "passive" by skipping the small sets.

What makes you think anyone would sell it now anyway? You really don't know what this set is going to do - But I don't see too many other sets that have already more than doubled despite not even being retired.

I would want this a lot of this set.

Do we have to have this small set/large set argument in every thread? Really??? Yeah, we know some people's time is too valuable to be wasted reselling small sets. We get it. Saying it over and over doesn't make you smarter than the rest of us. Seriously, get over yourselves. /rant

I bought one of these to build way back when (actually, to use in our Lego school module in our homeschool). It is quite cool! Never thought of it from an investment standpoint. I am definitely planning to invest more in Technic this year, though.

On a slightly different angle to the OP, I think the 42007 Moto Cross Bike will perform similarly well as it nears EOL (hopefully beginning of next year).  That's another sweet set that is surprisingly large, and really cool.

I agree and I keep waiting for a sweet sale on Amazon.co.uk to pick-up some of these.

You can't buy everything.  Winners will often be missed, but so will losers.  Plus, who's got time for Technic when we're all hoarding Funhouses, Orc Forges, and Wolverine Choppers? :hmm:

This is true.  There are plenty of under the radar sets that people miss every year.  That's what makes this hobby/business great and potentially profitable.

Sorry guys....thread title was "how in the heck did we miss this", so I described why it might not be for everyone as an answer...guess my unpopular answer wasn't appropriate to the discussion, will just stay silent in the future.

No need to be silent.  You have a point.  Small sets might be nice gainers, but when all things are considered, flipping small sets is a lot of work...and time for the return.