Shill Bidder

Pseudoty

I won a Arch Guggenheim today and the price got bumped up $10 by a zero feedback user. When I looked into this the seller has had 4 auctions in the past month with this same zero feedback buyer bidding up auctions at the very end but never winning and still with zero feedback. I don't want to get a non paying buyer but don't want to be getting scammed.

Is there a report to eBay or other options?

Guest TabbyBoy

I won a Arch Guggenheim today and the price got bumped up $10 by a zero feedback user. When I looked into this the seller has had 4 auctions in the past month with this same zero feedback buyer bidding up auctions at the very end but never winning and still with zero feedback. I don't want to get a non paying buyer but don't want to be getting scammed.

Is there a report to eBay or other options?

Yes, report the seller through the usual channels saying that you suspect the seller's "friend" of making shill bids.  This is illegal and will at least result in the account being suspended if eBay think the same followed by a prosecution and perhaps a criminal record for the seller.  eBay (and most of us) take this VERY seriously and those r-soles that try to rip us off deserve all they get.

If the items are related, it may be an innocent losing bidder but, if they are very different items, i would report it asap.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I don't have a sense of smell but even this smell funky to me. how often do bidders bid  $x.99. looks like they were pushing it up as much with leaving room for someone to get it for a penny more.  could be someone new but trying for 4 items within the last hour (two from this seller) and not winning any. I wouldn't pay until talking to ebay.

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly why I never bid more than the minimum increment over the winning bid.  I'll do that 10 times in a row up to my "maximum" price but never leave room for a dirty seller to try to shill.

As a powerseller/top rated seller, I wouldn't ever mess around doing this either, losing that status costs me a fair amount.  Not to mention what a waste of time.

And yes, you did agree to pay up to your maximum bid, so you still are obligated to pay.  (Never bid more than you are willing to pay)