What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 2 years later...

Question for you experts, i'm trying to sell two sets locally. i have it listed for cash and porch pickup. buyer wants to do PayPal and have me drop it off. 

maybe i'm old school, but i'm a firm believer in cash is king when dealing local. any thoughts from those who may have been in a similar scenario?

Depending on how far the drive is, you may need to negotiate a delivery charge.  And for Paypal, you'll lose a commission unless they choose friends and family.  And require payment before you even start the car.

I have accepted Venmo as payment while we stand in the parking lot.  Once the $ shows in my Venmo, they take the set and go.  I like cash, but Venmo is nice too, and no commission charge.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

Depending on how far the drive is, you may need to negotiate a delivery charge.  And for Paypal, you'll lose a commission unless they choose friends and family.  And require payment before you even start the car.

I have accepted Venmo as payment while we stand in the parking lot.  Once the $ shows in my Venmo, they take the set and go.  I like cash, but Venmo is nice too, and no commission charge.

they did say they would do PayPal Friends and Family. So do i message them that i'm in the driveway, please send the funds, once it hits my account, drop them off on the porch?

it's not super far, maybe a 30 min drive. i could ask for a delivery fee.

Edited by MotorCityMuscle

30 minutes each way?  Yea, I'd charge for that.  Your time and gas would determine the charge.

I would recommend asking them to pay via Paypal before you leave your house for the drive.  Ask them to pay now, and then you'll deliver at whatever stated time you can. 

Getting stood up on local sales sucks, especially with a drive like that.  So getting the money up front electronically is an added bonus. 

You might want to take a pic of the set(s) on their front step to prove you dropped them off.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

30 minutes each way?  Yea, I'd charge for that.  Your time and gas would determine the charge.

I would recommend asking them to pay via Paypal before you leave your house for the drive.  Ask them to pay now, and then you'll deliver at whatever stated time you can. 

Getting stood up on local sales sucks, especially with a drive like that.  So getting the money up front electronically is an added bonus. 

You might want to take a pic of the set(s) on their front step to prove you dropped them off.

thanks for the tips. is there anything the buyer could do to pull back funds once they've sent them to me? trying to reduce any repercussions. 

there's no "insufficient funds" potential or similar after the fact, correct? PayPal confirms the funds are available?

8 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Ask for half before you leave, half before you drop it on their porch. Do friends and family. Delivery fee? Lol. You are saving all other fees compared to selling online. Just eat it. 

personally i would caution against using friends and family. though you’re saving on fees, you’re also not protected in case the buyer wants to claim they never received the product. 

18 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

personally i would caution against using friends and family. though you’re saving on fees, you’re also not protected in case the buyer wants to claim they never received the product. 

Yes you are. That's the only way the seller is protected. If you do Goods and Services, they can file a claim. 

16 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

Actually, with F&F they payer has 0 claim with Paypal over any potential problem with service or product.  

10 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Actually, with F&F they payer has 0 claim with Paypal over any potential problem with service or product.  

That seems backward in a way because the payer doesn't pay the fee, but this does give incentive to the payer to actually choose the appropriate option. Anyway, let's not advocate violating TOS here.

3 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

That seems backward in a way because the payer doesn't pay the fee, but this does give incentive to the payer to actually choose the appropriate option. Anyway, let's not advocate violating TOS here.

Eh, that was just to point out how Paypal does things.  I should have worded it as "With P&P, the sender of money does not have any claim over anything once the money is sent and received by the correct recipient". :D 

As a seller, F&F is best case scenario because the buyer has no claim to the funds. That's the point of that payment system.  It's not supposed to be for Goods and Services, it's for lending your buddy some beer money.   I accept Paypal F&F all the time for local pickups/deliveries.  I make sure the money is in my account and I'm on my way.  No fees, no issues.

1 hour ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

there's no "insufficient funds" potential or similar after the fact, correct? PayPal confirms the funds are available?

I had some weird "Insufficient Funds" issue. I was the buyer and the transaction was initially all good. Then a day later seller asks where's the money. Basically the funds seem to be held up...and I can't get a straight answer from Paypal (impossible to get a live person during CV) after 5 chat sessions.

Then a WEEK later i get this email saying MY bank refused the transfer claiming insufficient funds (No record of this or transaction in my bank account)...went back to PP and they say it was not the case and nothing to do w/ my bank...2 WEEKS LATER, PP said they tried again w/ my bank and got refused again...WTF!!!

Issues that complicated matters: $500+, Canada/US deal, first time seller.

Anyway the NSF thing seems to be something that can kick you in the balls when you least expect it.

36 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I had some weird "Insufficient Funds" issue. I was the buyer and the transaction was initially all good. Then a day later seller asks where's the money. Basically the funds seem to be held up...and I can't get a straight answer from Paypal (impossible to get a live person during CV) after 5 chat sessions.

Then a WEEK later i get this email saying MY bank refused the transfer claiming insufficient funds (No record of this or transaction in my bank account)...went back to PP and they say it was not the case and nothing to do w/ my bank...2 WEEKS LATER, PP said they tried again w/ my bank and got refused again...WTF!!!

Issues that complicated matters: $500+, Canada/US deal, first time seller.

Anyway the NSF thing seems to be something that can kick you in the balls when you least expect it.

i swore i had heard a similar story, maybe it was yours!? In any case, this is what concerns me about PayPal. cash is cash. it's either there or it isn't. with paypal, i feel like there could be issues later on.

1 hour ago, minicoopers11 said:

yes, while i had it backwards, the right thing to do is to not use F&F. 

9 minutes ago, calmdahn said:

yes, while i had it backwards, the right thing to do is to not use F&F. 

As a seller, you are not protected in any way if the buyer pays for a set and then files a dispute if the pickup is done in-person as there is no way to prove the delivery happened. That's why people use Friends and a Family if both parties are comfortable with it. Why is not using it the right way? In terms of what? 

6 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

just not sure why they want to buy this way unless they genuinely do not have the money right now.

For multiple reasons:

1. They don't use cash and charge everything they purchase

2. They are afraid of getting robbed in a fake online deal

3. They don't have exact change

4. They don't want to use the ATM and pay a fee to withdraw cash

15 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

for FF: Wouldn't there still be a fee by Paypal is a CC was used?

Yes, for the buyer. Not the seller.

1 minute ago, iahawks550 said:

For multiple reasons:

1. They don't use cash and charge everything they purchase

2. They are afraid of getting robbed in a fake online deal

3. They don't have exact change

4. They don't want to use the ATM and pay a fee to withdraw cash

also cash has cooties

and ofcourse the wife may not be monitoring Paypal acct

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Question for you experts, i'm trying to sell two sets locally. i have it listed for cash and porch pickup. buyer wants to do PayPal and have me drop it off. 

maybe i'm old school, but i'm a firm believer in cash is king when dealing local. any thoughts from those who may have been in a similar scenario?

I have sold many sets on CL during the pandemic and have taken PayPal gift, cash, and direct transfer. Doesn't matter to me because they can't take it back and sometimes add a few for delivery.

Some buyers don't want to go to to bank or handle cash; it's nice to give them options to relieve them of their money.