What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 8 years later...

E check!   Yes....I had 3 of those too.  What a pain in the jazz.  Had to wait 3 days for it to clear..all the while buyers asking when is it shipping, what is track number, why no ship yet?  I am changing  all my listings next year to pay right away...these non payers and echeckers are a pain.  Wonder if there is a way to eliminate echeckers and Puerto Rico buyers, and people who change their mind/wife already bought one/found it cheaper at Wal-Mart after already mailing it out!  You do take returns---right?   I have what 30 days? Oh 15?  You pay to ship it back to yourself right?  I have  to pay?  I just told you to cancel...I found it cheaper at Wal-Mart.  Ok...I'll refuse the package and you can get it back that way. 

Where do I post about these type of azzholes?  There is no chance of negative buyer feedback any more...and who do I see about getting my ebay, ,PayPal and shipping fees refunded. Hours wasted on bufoonery.

Those E-checker, you'll have to talk to them right away and explain to them they are idiots for not putting a backup source in their Paypal account.  I suggest a tighter return policy to deter idiots from buying.  

so the guy that bought the damaged box from me, just msg'd me thanking me for making the item available to his daughter fox xmas, since he couldnt find it anywhere.

That's a feel good statement right there. Should be our mission statement

Lego Gopher for the upper middle and upper class for a small profit.

• Like 1

so the guy that bought the damaged box from me, just msg'd me thanking me for making the item available to his daughter fox xmas, since he couldnt find it anywhere.

That's a feel good statement right there. Should be our mission statement

Lady yesterday thanked me for "saving Christmas."...

One guy who bought a DC off Craigslist from me today for $100 congratulated me on my "use of capitalism and the free market." Lol

• Like 2

There is very little margin for error selling current sets....I made errors.  

Example--bought 6 dolphin cruisers for $55 each...58 with tax---call it 60.  Sold them all for 90 shipped.  So...

$30 profit....less 9 for eBay, less 3 for PayPal is $18 profit.  Now guess how much shipping one is from mass to Oregon....and guess where Most of my buyers were from!

I screwed up with giving free shipping...assuming an even location curve on all my sales.

Sold 8850 worth this month...after cogs, fees and shipping, I am up 840.  Certainly not worth all the time and effort put  in, but it is a 10% return.  And that is if everyone  is happy with their stuff.  That has cost me...weirdos who buy by mistake.  Yeah sure...jerks.     I learned my lesson on shipping, and not going to play the volume game again.  Too much extra work..for little extra gain.

And truth be told....I knew I could have taken my time and sold less for more....but the house looks better, and my wife is happier with 138 less (mostly big) boxes in the way. Already bought shelving and  dehumidifier for basement.  Plenty of storage will be online for next year.  I am excited---can't wait for next Christmas!

Willy, this is precisely why I decided to go the Fulfillment by Amazon route. I sold my DC's over a week ago at $110 each. My fees for selling were $22.63 (breakdown for that is $16.50 for Amazon referral fee (15%) and $6.13 for fulfillment fees). What's best is there's no time spent shipping the item. When I ship into the Fulfillment center I box EVERYTHING I have to send all at once. Comes out to a cost of 10 cents to 50 cents per item when I ship roughly 200 items of varying sizes. 

Anywho, what puts the icing on the cake is that I don't have to keep a supply of random sized boxes for the shipments. I keep a supply of large boxes that I ship out my product to fulfillment centers. I don't have to pack each individual item and mail out hundreds of packages a week. And if the item is damaged in shipping to the customer, Amazon eats the cost, not me. If it gets lost in the warehouse, Amazon pays me. If anything happens to the product after they receive it, regarding fulfillment, it's on them.

If you bought the DC at $60, that would have been $25 to $27 profit for you instead of $18. Something to think about.

Thank you!  That is exactly what we should talk about....making $20 each is still great.  But we all tend to say bought at 60, sold for 120---that type of thing.

I am just disappointed with how much the shipping  and fees ate up.  Even doing the numbers ahead of time...and knowing what was what....still doesn't lessen the tears as I submitted my $879 monthly bill to eBay, or looking over the $1200 I spent on usps through ebay shipping.  Making 800 bucks...about 10% roi isn't horrible...but that assumes I work for nothing, my time is worthless, my car uses no gas and requires no maintenance...that is why I said I broke even.

There is money to be made here...but it's not as easy as some portray, and  it's a lot of work.  Just a few rogue buyers can ruin your day and sink you  profit.  Still have 3 returns coming back, 1 missing $40 set that the lost office can't find and don't care about..had to refund...oh...and 4 non paying bidder cases opened.  Oh and someone from Puerto Rico jumped in on the free shipping of a technic rescue  helicopter...ouch.

Like I said...I learned a LOT!  Having the correct boxes on hand, and better shipping  policies on eBay...would have netted  me another 10%

They say when you start your own business you don't take a paycheck for 2-3 years. This is at least better than that. I can definitely relate. I think I lost money the first month.

Get a store, top rated and power seller, buy packaging material , tape, etc. in bulk and you will get a LOT faster at packing stuff. Then you raise your prices. I consistently get more money for things than the average being top rated, good feedback. I expect it to be even better once I finish how I want my listings to look (If I had some damn time).

Anyway, I have sold 435 items in December. That is insane. On track for a 21K month - something I would have been happy with for the year. So fun. 72 things to pack tonight from the weekend!

Here are the highlights of the last week:

3 Hulk 6868 99$

12 Technic Cranes (12.49 at TRU) for $30+

3 Dolphin Cruisers $105

Insane amount of Minecraft - I think 7 listings where I almost doubled my money

2 7965 Falcons 7965 for $160 each

UCS Xwing for $200 - shipped Internationally as well so I get to keep shipping. Also parted out the Palp arrest that came with it for a profit of 70$

6 Gunships with no minis for $70-$80. Paid below 80 for each FULL SET.

9450s like crazy for stupid profit

If you don't mind my question, how much are you listing the 9450 for? "Can't check your store atm"

UCS Xwing for $200 - shipped Internationally as well so I get to keep shipping. Also parted out the Palp arrest that came with it for a profit of 70$

6 Gunships with no minis for $70-$80. Paid below 80 for each FULL SET.

9450s like crazy for stupid profit

How the heck do you find time to part sets ?  I will admit my volume this weekend was lower than you (and willy431) but even then I could barely keep up with order fulfillment and family obligations.

If you don't mind my question, how much are you listing the 9450 for? "Can't check your store atm"

I MIND!

I am parting it out. Normally its a modest gainer, nothing amazing. But when it went OOS and then back to retail, I sold the dragon for 65$ alone and Devorour and shrine for $30 and raised prices on the figs. I was getting like $160 gross ($120 or more after everything) on sets I bought at TRU for 60$ and Target with PM for like $68.

How the heck do you find time to part sets ?  I will admit my volume this weekend was lower than you (and willy431) but even then I could barely keep up with order fulfillment and family obligations.

I do not sleep. Its a gift... and a curse.

I will be up until probably 4AM tonight. Get up at 7AM, go to work, work 8-6, stay up until 3-4AM and repeat. :)

I MIND!

I am parting it out. Normally its a modest gainer, nothing amazing. But when it went OOS and then back to retail, I sold the dragon for 65$ alone and Devorour and shrine for $30 and raised prices on the figs. I was getting like $160 gross ($120 or more after everything) on sets I bought at TRU for 60$ and Target with PM for like $68.

I will be up until probably 4AM tonight. Get up at 7AM, go to work, work 8-6, stay up until 3-4AM and repeat. :)

Thanks for the info....

Let me know how that cycle works for you once you have little ones ;)

Thanks for the info....

Let me know how that cycle works for you once you have little ones ;)

Lol yeah. Luckily neither my wife or I have any interest in having Children. We just aren't kid-people. If anything, we might adopt one day, but with every year that passes I really start to doubt we will. We are young and things definitely can change. But our reasoning is less about age and more about personality.

Lol yeah. Luckily neither my wife or I have any interest in having Children. We just aren't kid-people. If anything, we might adopt one day, but with every year that passes I really start to doubt we will. We are young and things definitely can change. But our reasoning is less about age and more about personality.

Someone has to continue the DNIIM's Lego Legacy aka D.L.L.. An acronym for the acronym
  • Like 1

I have almost nothing left for sale on Amazon anymore. My selling metrics look like the Yodeler game from Price is Right. Over the month of December they climbed thru the stratosphere and then nosedived down after I clearly ran out of stock on like the 13th.

Only thing left that I have are speedorz that I got at Kmart for 50% clearance, the 1 council of elrond I got off a lightning deal, a bunch of ewars acro minifigs, and a few single sets from people who's pending sales have expired. (I also have 7 satellite 3366's but since Lego.com says retiring soon, I'm raising the price and hoping for a better 2014 price. I have 27 more shipping in tomorrow and at 11.99 each from TRU, I can make money selling them no matter what I charge.

Taking a bath on shipping fees...between that and my wrong decision to recycle boxes. Many times I have used a box that was too big and had to pay too much shipping. Just going to let my season fizzle down now...it was great.

I forgot to reply this one earlier today.  On the flip side, saving $.50-$2.00 per recycled box is not worth it anymore when you have to dig and match boxes for 10+ orders per night

That explains your omnipresent on the forum

Someone just grabbed one of my Amazon Fulfilled Millennium Falcons for $249.99....D efinitely curious about that as at the time of sale there were some at $225... 

Has happened to me (happily) more times that I ever expected. You probably got lucky to be the default merchant when someone clicked on the search results for MF and they just hit "buy" (if you only had 1, the "only 1 left" hint/message probably helps too) That's one reason to really love FBA at Christmas time. People will just simply pay higher prices to get it "fast" through Prime.

Now that it's the last week before Christmas, I don't know why people would blindly trust third party sellers to ship things in time. In fact, Amazon will warn buyers that their items probably won't get to them in time (regardless of whatever the seller says) which just pushes more people to FBA sellers.

I've sold all of my Dolphin Cruisers, some for $104.95 and some for $109.95, 9 total.  I was able to ship to the East Coast for just over $8 - $9., but to Florida and to the West Coast was $12 - $14 shipping.  I've sold several other sets mixed in. 

Over 2 days this weekend, I sold all 7 of the Star Wars: Ewok Attack (7956) sets I had for sale for $34.95.  I must have finally been at the right price point, since they've been listed since the beginning of November.  I also sold out of all of my Minecraft sets from anywhere from $149.99 - $164.99.  Just sold my 3rd Crawler Crane for $30.  Sold out of Dino, I have a little Ninjago left, and my other new Friends stuff (Juice Bar and Sunshine Ranch) isn't moving.  I sold sold plenty of last year's City stuff that I bought on Clearance.  Pretty much the majority of what I've sold was purchased during last year's clearance sales.

I've sold all of my Dolphin Cruisers, some for $104.95 and some for $109.95, 9 total.  I was able to ship to the East Coast for just over $8 - $9., but to Florida and to the West Coast was $12 - $14 shipping.  I've sold several other sets mixed in. 

Over 2 days this weekend, I sold all 7 of the Star Wars: Ewok Attack (7956) sets I had for sale for $34.95.  I must have finally been at the right price point, since they've been listed since the beginning of November.  I also sold out of all of my Minecraft sets from anywhere from $149.99 - $164.99.  Just sold my 3rd Crawler Crane for $30.  Sold out of Dino, I have a little Ninjago left, and my other new Friends stuff (Juice Bar and Sunshine Ranch) isn't moving.  I sold sold plenty of last year's City stuff that I bought on Clearance.  Pretty much the majority of what I've sold was purchased during last year's clearance sales.

minecraft for ~150 to 165, are you selling them in set of all three?