9396 - Helicopter

Danizzz

Retail is $119 on it so 20% off would be about $95 which seems like a good price to me. But then tax and shipping might make it not so good. What I always do is look at what it sold for on ebay and the asking price on Amazon before I purchase something and I usually buy sets that are at least 20% off retail with no tax and shipping cost. Unfortunately looking at prices on ebay and Amazon at this time of year is a little dangerous because prices are always inflated due to the Holiday Season. Those same prices often drop significantly in January. I'm not the best person to tell you what is best to invest in, you should be able to get a lot from reading the articles here and from other people with more experience. I tend to purchase things I like, some are likely great investments, some not so much!

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

Does any one know why the Lego 9396 was discontinued so soon?  Technic sets generally have a 2-3 year run, but this set only was in production for approx. a year.  Is this b/c it sold poorly?  It is a fairly unique (largest Lego Technic Helicopter ever), I just don't know why Lego would not want to keep this one around.

Guest TabbyBoy

I've seen one built in my local John Lewis and it's massive.  Sadly, mine is in it's box until EOL as I'm not really a Technic fan.

It is already EOL.  Surprisingly, it has generated little discussion or elation from buyers. I thought this would sell well, given that it is the largest Technic heli produced by Lego.  Also, many technic enthusiests are kinds growing tired of so many trucks, cars, and construction equipment for technic sets.  Nice to see some planes and helis, especially large ones.  But... back to the topic, it is already EOL, Lego will not be producing more.  But why did it hit EOL so soon? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hardly a weak set. The set is big and has striking colour as how a rescue heli is in real life. The price started to rise once it was listed as retiring a month ago, and is one of those sets that see price appreciation although it's still not officially retired. Amazon own stock already depleted.

Guest TabbyBoy

Early days yet, be patient.  I have one sealed for when the time comes.  I've seen it built in my local John Lewis and it's pretty impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's listed as retiring, and it may stay this way for months. I don't think it's selling that badly, though probably not as popular as 9398.

a little late to chime in, but I just noticed the thread...

I've seen these ~25% off here in certain chains here in Germany, where Technic is usually popular, not too long after release. And they were sitting on the shelves, even after that chains 20%-off-Lego days. That was a non-buy I didn't regret. So far. Unlike Dino HQ (and others) at 50% off...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...