Yesterday I found two Hulk Helicarrier escapes with bad corners on store shelf? Should I go back and buy them?

I went to a rather out of the way target, they have two quinjet's for clearance at $56ea, two hulk's with smashed corners for regular retail, a batcave for retail, and a huge pile of polybag batmobiles.

In essence this place is a goldmine of EOL sets just sitting on shelves but the condition looks like they play soccer with these things in the back room.  Is it still worth picking up to resell later if the boxes are all gnarley?

Opinions please

Box condition doesn't matter much vis a vis sale price.  There is a blog by FCBarcelona that addresses this very issue:

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-235-the-impact-of-box-condition-on-lego-investing/

Personally, I have sold a number of sets as "Verified Contents" (and I have a couple more in my Brickfolio) that had seals popped or damaged boxes, and I listed/sold them at worst for 10% less than their eBay NISB sold prices at the time.  Many folks don't really care about box condition, and actually a few look for listings with damaged boxes/verified contents to get a discount on an otherwise complete set.

Alright guys, thanks for the reassurance, i also found an out of the way TRU that had literally dozens of Fun House Escapes, should I pay the TRU Tax (59.99 or something)(39.99 online will they price match their own website?) and stock up?  I forsee them as being real winners in the future as people seek out the Harley Quinn and other minfigs for their collections

I would not buy Funhouse at $60.  It was available for $25 to the entire world a couple weeks ago.  I can't see this set ever hitting $100 (maybe I'm wrong), so if you're in at $60, there's not much meat on the bone after fees.

The Funhouse at $40 is questionable, but defendable.  You'll make a 50% ROI after fees/shipping at an $80 sale price, but you may have to wait awhile for $80.

I would not buy Funhouse at $60.  It was available for $25 to the entire world a couple weeks ago.  I can't see this set ever hitting $100 (maybe I'm wrong), so if you're in at $60, there's not much meat on the bone after fees.

The Funhouse at $40 is questionable, but defendable.  You'll make a 50% ROI after fees/shipping at an $80 sale price, but you may have to wait awhile for $80.

I would wait until nextweek or so. I have a feeling TRU is about to almost give these away.

Guest TabbyBoy

Why not ask for a discount if boxes are damaged?  The Hulk figure alone sells for good money so you can part it out.  If you didn't buy them, I'd expect them to be gone by now.

I would wait until nextweek or so. I have a feeling TRU is about to almost give these away.

Wait till next week to grab something that's discontinued? Grab them now, and if TRU is giving them away, you bring them back to refund you the difference. Bird in a hand is better than two birds in a bush. There are a lot of well-informed Lego investors so the chance of landing a discontinued item is zilch.

Wait till next week to grab something that's discontinued? Grab them now, and if TRU is giving them away, you bring them back to refund you the difference. Bird in a hand is better than two birds in a bush. There are a lot of well-informed Lego investors so the chance of landing a discontinued item is zilch.

The Funhouse isn't discontinued though and can easily be found cheaper.

I was talking about the funhouse. It is not retired. Or else I would have bought them all.

• 1 month later...

Is this possible?

Like an idiot noob to collecting, bought the TRU buy one get 40% off end of Dec and over paid by a large margin on two Star Wars sets, Millennium Falcon 169.99$ (at the time it was HTF and I got one as a gift and opened it so I wanted a boxed one) and #9493 X-Wing (same gift, and opened) which was 79.99$ and #9495 Gold Leader Y Wing @ 69.99

Got some great sets at 40% discount from it though in comparison that are on the Soon To Be Retired list. #75014 Battle of Hoth @ 49.99$, #9526 Palpatines Arrest @ 46.19$ and #9499 Gungan Sub @ 52.79$

Not opening these and holding onto them. If I can take them back for the margin price difference I would. Much smarter now though since reading this sites info. You guys are great.